McCalls you gotta do better

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2015, 09:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I don't believe McCall's is the only restaurant in the villages to not seat a table until all are present. All I know is they have damn good fried yard bird !
Some of the country club restaurants won't seat customers until everyone has arrived.
It's not an uncommon practice in high season when they're really crowded.
However Warren said the restaurant was far from being crowded. In which case the policy makes no sense at all.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I got a table for four at Cane Garden for breakfast this morning around 10:30, and I was the only one present. It was hoppin', too. The other three were five minutes behind me.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We are all different. If the usual group of folks we dine with were told that we couldn't be seated until the driver appeared, we would stand there and chat until he arrived.

I can't imagine getting worked up about it. How long could it take?

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-10-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:40 AM
Sage

In Spanish Springs most of the restaurants are mediocre, please name a superior restaurant in Spanish Springs & why its superior
Old 08-10-2015, 07:25 AM
Sage

We have given McCalls two tries and we won't go back. First time I had beef on weck, which I originally tried in Buffalo, NY ( best sandwich I'd ever had!) so when I heard the McCalls had it I had to try it. Certainly nothing special at McCalls. It came on a greasy roll with no salt on it. As I recall, the seasoning is the best part of the roll. I asked the server if there had been a mistake in the kitchen where they just put the beef on a regular roll and she said no that sometimes in shipping the salt comes off. Well maybe they could put more salt on before serving if they know this is a problem??

So another time we took friends there who had never been and they tried seating us at one of those micro tables. I told them that we would not be able to fit our dinners on the table and could we have a larger table. The server was clearly put out by our request but sat us at one anyhow. Then when ordering our meals, when my husband was ordering his meal the server asked "do you want a roll with that?" She paused and then said "It comes with it". So why ask? If it's part of the meal put it on the plate! Our friends weren't impressed with the food and neither were we. Too many other establishments to visit. Won't go back.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:08 AM
Gold member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I don't believe McCall's is the only restaurant in the villages to not seat a table until all are present. All I know is they have damn good fried yard bird !
You missed the point. It was not a case of several not being in the room, we were refused seating because the driver was parking the car and of course not in the room..
Old 08-10-2015, 11:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
You missed the point. It was not a case of several not being in the room, we were refused seating because the driver was parking the car and of course not in the room..
Whether their policy is good or bad, you CLEARLY knew what is was from a visit just two weeks ago. Yet, you returned and now complain. Guess there is a point I am missing also.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:24 PM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

This policy has been in place for a while now. There is a sign at the hostess station that says parties of 5 or more must have everyone present to be seated. Before that policy people would come in and say they had a party of maybe six or 8 and be seated without everyone present. So lets say that a table for 8 is taken by 4 or 5 and the others don't show up. That ties up a table that a group could have had. Just saying.
p.s. This has happened to us as well and we are long time customers who know the managers and bar tenders. It is what it is.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

McCall's is the best bowling alley restaurant I have ever been to. Blues night is a plus also.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
McCall's is the best bowling alley restaurant I have ever been to. Blues night is a plus also.

I agree.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
///
Old 08-10-2015, 01:44 PM
Gold member

After bowling Thursday afternoon many times we stop at McCalls for an early dinner. This is usually around 3pm. Our party of 4 or 5 usually straggles in and we seat ourselves and nobody seems to mind. They know us there so maybe that's why nothing is said. We enter from the bowling alley. In any case I just wanted to throw out some additional information.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 08-10-2015, 01:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We are all different. If the usual group of folks we dine with were told that we couldn't be seated until the driver appeared, we would stand there and chat until he arrived.

I can't imagine getting worked up about it. How long could it take?

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
///
They have karaoke on Wednesday nights
Old 08-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Veteran member

I remember a number of years ago Cane Garden wanted to make a single widow set at the bar,yes she was alone,also she was 82 I think. Come on that is a little heartless. I've never gone back. Do they care.NO
Closed Thread

Tags
people, table, size, driver, mccalls, tables, weeks, normal, tiny, joined, seated, person, addition, occurred, time, full, join, huffy, height, out.loco, walking, close, regular, gotta, sat

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.