Restaurant school

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2014, 09:23 AM
Veteran member
Default Restaurant school

We have barber schools we have other trade schools how about a restaurant school for cooks servers managers etc. The complaints cover all the above. Teach people how to be servers mostly. As big as this place is severs or wait staff seem to be the biggest problem. Really it boils down to the management so maybe that is where it should start I dont know
Old 01-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Sage

Good question, DDoug. There are the culinary schools that teach cooking and management of restaurants. Yes, DDoug, management skills are needed to properly staff a restaurant and should be encouraged to do so.

As for schools to teach people to be servers - not such a great idea. Remember that the servers receive a minimum wage of around $3.50 and depend on tips for the rest of their pay. There is a huge difference between the pay of a waitress at Johnny Rocket and the pay of a waiter at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

Some of the best steakhouses in New York City, Washington DC, and Chicago have waiters who have spent 25 years or more at the same restaurant and draw in around $100,000 per year.

There are waitresses or waiters at some of the local restaurants here around The Villages who are under the Federal Poverty Level.

Management should take more time to teach their serving staff to be accurate, personable, and prompt. This will lead to larger tips (maybe?) and loyal customers to that server and restaurant.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

The Villages Charter School has The Culinary Arts Academy a two year program, taught in four sections.
The full program can be viewed at VHS Academies
Old 01-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
The Villages Charter School has The Culinary Arts Academy a two year program, taught in four sections.
The full program can be viewed at VHS Academies

I have had some of their food at the Chili Cookoff Contest and at the BBQ contest. They have excellent food!
Old 01-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Most junior colleges in Florida offer a 2 year Associates Degree. I went to St. Pete JC and took Hotel/Restaurant Mgmt right out of high school about 44 years ago. Part of the program was to work in the industry for the experience and 2 hrs credit each semester. During my second year Disney World executives came and interviewed those of us interested in the startup of their hotels and food service. I had several jobs during school, everything from running an elevator (the old style with the cage door and push handle) to making steak subs on the boardwalk during the summer.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.