Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   New Italian Restaurant Coming (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/new-italian-restaurant-coming-75320/)

manaboutown 04-18-2013 04:35 PM

Did they come from Brentwood? The Mezzaluna there closed and became a Peet's Coffee.

skyguy79 04-18-2013 05:35 PM

Patty55 04-18-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 661865)
Did they come from Brentwood? The Mezzaluna there closed and became a Peet's Coffee.

Whoa, if they did they're going to be shocked in the difference in TIPS.

manaboutown 04-18-2013 06:09 PM

Another Mezzaluna was located a few short blocks from my home in Corona Del Mar, CA and I ate there once in a while. It, too, closed. For some strange reason Bruni Magli shoes became unavailable about the same time although shoes are again being sold under that label. Don't know if they are the same quality as they were, though.

PattyPan1 04-18-2013 06:41 PM

Yippy,

Finall another choise of Itailian fare.

Tried Giovanni's and how anyone can say it was great is beyond me (my very strong opinion) There food is always greasey and usally someone in our group gets sick afterwood.

Plain, good Italian food is just what we need, and with their last names, fugetaboutit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyguy79 (Post 661119)
It was reported this morning in the Sun that a new Italian Restaurant is coming to Colony Plaza called Mezza Luna Restaurant. You'll find some information at the Villages Gourmet Club Restaurant website.

Skip2MySue 04-18-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 661849)
This is a new one. A restaurant gets bashed before it even opens!

Good one Bogie, I wonder if that is a 1st??????:laugh:
Skip 2

skyc6 04-18-2013 11:00 PM

I am excited this restaurant is coming and I wish them well. I hope the food is good, the service is friendly, and the cost is reasonable. For those of you expecting the worst...I am sure it will be terrible! Stay home and stay warm. There will be more room for the rest of us! :)

Patty55 04-19-2013 07:03 PM

Can't wait to give a try. :coolsmiley:Hope they deliver.

Villages PL 04-24-2013 11:06 AM

What can we possibly know about a new Italian restaurant before it even opens? Well, maybe a lot. The name "Mezza Luna" is an important clue. It means "half moon" and everyone knows the moon is made of cheese. So the word "Luna" is code for "cheese" and it's likely that most dishes will feature a lot of cheese......mezza cheese. :mmmm:

Typical Italian Menu (of comfort foods):

Lasagna: (white flour, sodium, full-fat cheese)

Ravioli: (white flour, sodium, full-fat cheese)

Pizza (white flour, sodium, full-fat cheese)

Spaghetti: (white flour, sodium-sauce, gratted (sodium) cheese)

What kind of dressing do you want with your salad? Blue cheese?

The idea of another Italian restaurant in The Villages makes me wonder how it will fit in with The Village's plan to become America's healthiest hometown.

To me, eating Italian is supposed to be healthful. And that means the emphasis should be on vegetables and low sodium. But it's not likely that this will ever happen in a restaurant.

Wouldn't it be a pleasant surprise if they would offer non-fat, low sodium, whole grain lasagna? They could do it once per week for Weight Watchers or any others who might be interested. They could call it: "Weight Watchers
Lasagna Wednesday". Then, if it's popular, they could slowly add other dishes.

I see they will offer low fat and whole wheat items. That's good, but will these items also be low sodium and low sugar? I once tried a whole grain roll at Golden Corral and it was loaded with sugar and/or corn syrup. It was more like a dessert than bread. Just give a restaurant half a chance and they can ruin anything.

ROCKETMAN 05-30-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looneycat (Post 661203)
really could use a good restaurant at Colony. That is such a 'hidden' location at the end, that you are either good or gone...obviously Cici's is gone, so now let's get something good.

For people on a budget ceci's was a great deal. Their salads were good and cinnamon rolls were very good. No one ever thought they were getting gourmet pizza. It didn't close because of lack of business but the owner after his lease was up decided he would have the same deal but no franchise fee but didn't read his contract with ceci's that stated could not open another pizza place within a certain distance for the original one.

sharonga 05-30-2013 01:15 PM

My sister lives in Manalapan and she has gone there a few times. She said "its good" little expensive. As long as it is not a chain restaurant. So sick of them.

njbchbum 05-30-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages PL (Post 665582)
snipped
Wouldn't it be a pleasant surprise if they would offer non-fat, low sodium, whole grain lasagna? snipped

non-fat, low sodium, whole grain would not be lasagna, much less pasta of any sort!

Shimpy 05-30-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spk7951 (Post 661257)
All we need now is a decent place for breakfast.

I agree about a place for breakfast. By the way, don't the Italians, Mexicans or Chinese eat breakfast? Why don't they open their restaurants for breakfast? I'd try them all.

buggyone 05-30-2013 08:06 PM

I wonder how many Italian restaurants (not part of a chain) are called Mezza Luna. On the same note, how many German restaurants are called either Baviarian Haus or Heidelburg?

There is a very nice Italian restaurant at Sanibel Island called Mezza Luna.

SALYBOW 05-31-2013 04:42 PM

I drove past there last week and there was nothing to indicate any restaurant was coming. A rumor?