No ketchup for you if you are over 10.

Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2014, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts
Default No ketchup for you if you are over 10.

Over 10? No Ketchup for You, Restaurant Says - Business | Sarasota, Florida Patch

Well, that is one restaurant I would not go to in Ft. Myers.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Gold member

I would go just to find out what makes the fries so good that ketchup isn't needed. I would never discount trying a place out just because I couldn't have a condiment and they had a good reason...I find that being too narrow minded excludes me from some great experiences...
Old 09-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

I would go just to see what the routine is when ketchup is requested!!!
I am sure it is a gimmicky/cute talking point.

Out of my cold dead hands will they get my ketchup!!!
Old 09-10-2014, 08:25 AM
Gold member

2 semi-related thoughts. When we stayed at Disney's Fort Wilderness and ate breakfast at their restaurant, whenever someone asked for ketchup the whole dining room would shout "KETCHUP"! any table that had a bottle would walk over and give it to the person that asked for it. When we were in New Orleans last year they were selling t-shirts that said: "I put ketchup on my ketchup"
Old 09-10-2014, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI SNOWBIRD View Post
2 semi-related thoughts. When we stayed at Disney's Fort Wilderness and ate breakfast at their restaurant, whenever someone asked for ketchup the whole dining room would shout "KETCHUP"! any table that had a bottle would walk over and give it to the person that asked for it. When we were in New Orleans last year they were selling t-shirts that said: "I put ketchup on my ketchup"
That is me!
Old 09-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI SNOWBIRD View Post
Neat little story and absolutely the kind of thing that makes Disney so special - especially for kids.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:28 PM
Veteran member

Their is a long time steak house in Orlando were the original owner (and his son after him) absolutely and totally refused to cook a steak more well done than med rare. I have seen ol Rudy & Al Seng berate and invite a "customer" to leave if they did not like it! The got away with it because the steaks were as good as anything you have ever had in your mouth. The steak house still remains but both are long gone .... and the place is marginal now.

Asking for BBQ sauce at Charlie Vergo's Rendezvous BBQ in Memphis will earn you a good matured scolding and lecture on the evils of "wet ribs", complete with the threat that "you do not deserve my ribs!" They are also IMO some of the very finest ribs in the known and charted world ..... and I have eaten at the best BBQ joints from NC to TN to TX to KC .... and all points in between.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Sage

Go with what the chef recommends....

My son is a chef and one evening a patron had some dispute over his Kobe steak. He told his server, it wasn't Kobe.....chef came out of the kitchen, adorned in his tallest chef's hat and offered paperwork on the particular cow he was enjoying.....parents of said cow, where raised, slaughtered, etc. After appeasing this diner with no bloodshed, he went back to his kitchen.....only to have a waiter come in and ask for Hollandaise this patron requested.....thought Jim was going to have a FIT!....lol

CHEF! A hero in our house...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MixYRIUzVXs
Old 09-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post

My son is a chef and one evening a patron had some dispute over his Kobe steak. He told his server, it wasn't Kobe.....chef came out of the kitchen, adorned in his tallest chef's hat and offered paperwork on the particular cow he was enjoying.....parents of said cow, where raised, slaughtered, etc. After appeasing this diner with no bloodshed, he went back to his kitchen.....only to have a waiter come in and ask for Hollandaise this patron requested.....thought Jim was going to have a FIT!....lol

That's really funny, the chef.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Veteran member
Default The chef knows best

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post

In Omaha there used to be a one-seating-a-night restaurant. We would go in, look at the menu and place our order. The owner (also the chef in this case) would come up and tell us, "No, here is want you want to eat in here tonight". And he was always right. It was some of the most exquisite food I ever had in my mouth.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:03 PM

My husband was vice-president of Skylark Meats about 10 years ago and they made a very high-end hot dog. At trade shows, we wouldn't let people have ketchup. We just told them it smothered the flavor. Most tried the hot dog and agreed they didn't need it. I do so miss those hot dogs. They're no longer made.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
In Omaha there used to be a one-seating-a-night restaurant. We would go in, look at the menu and place our order. The owner (also the chef in this case) would come up and tell us, "No, here is want you want to eat in here tonight". And he was always right. It was some of the most exquisite food I ever had in my mouth.
This reminds me of a short story I read many years ago by Saki aka H.H. Munro called "Specialty Of The House". This very specialized restaurant served up the best and most exotic food food known to man. Very good read. Check it out.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:07 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruannB View Post
My husband was vice-president of Skylark Meats about 10 years ago and they made a very high-end hot dog. At trade shows, we wouldn't let people have ketchup. We just told them it smothered the flavor. Most tried the hot dog and agreed they didn't need it. I do so miss those hot dogs. They're no longer made.
Did they get mustard?

Z
Old 09-11-2014, 06:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruannB View Post
There's something you don't hear every day, "High end hotdog" LOL! I don't care what end the hotdog comes from, it's still a hotdog.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:43 AM
Sage

Years ago the McDonalds in London charged 10p for ketchup
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.