Is it okay to leave a tip (money) on the table?

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2015, 04:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by onslowe View Post
Apart from requiring everyone everywhere to wear HazMat type outfits, what does the OP propose to solve or mitigate this supposed problem?
Since most people use Visa or Debit cards, I don't think dirty money is a big problem for most of us.
But it might be a good idea for a new restaurant for germaphobics - a restaurant where everyone wears HazMat suits and everything is sterilized multiple times.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:26 PM
Gold member
Default germs

yikes......I took a drink out of my garden hose without thinking,!!!
Old 03-14-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
This information comes from Annie's Mailbox, a regular column in the Daily Sun.

Annie said there was a study done about a year ago, at New York University, and it was found that dollar bills that were tested contained 3,000 different forms of bacteria. Some could cause the following:

1) gastric-ulcers

2) pneumonia

3) food poisoning

4) staph infections

5) acne

Also, there was fungi, plant pathogens, DNA from animals, and even minute amounts of diphtheria and anthrax.

I don't have a link to the study and I'm not looking for one because I think it's common sense that dollar bills naturally contain lots of different kinds of bacteria.

Is it safe to put tips on the table in restaurants? The waiters then pick up the tips with their bare hands and continue serving customers.

The health department is fussy about how the kitchen is kept, it must be just so, but don't they have anything to say about the filthy money situation?
If this is an excuse for not leaving a tip then don't leave one.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
What's wrong with that?
Old 03-14-2015, 07:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Be interesting to find out what gunk is on credit cards. I know they did a study on cell phones and found a public toilet was cleaner. If you're really that worried about bacteria and the like suggest you invest in a hazmat suit. It really is the only way of guaranteeing a sterile environment. Sorry, there are far more important things to worry about in this world.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-14-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What's wrong with that?
Years ago we were traveling in a motorhome. We hooked up our water as usual with a waterhose from our RV to the campgrounds water supply. The water tasted funny for the next couple of days. It wasen't until we went to disconnect the waterhose that we looked inside the hose and saw one half of a lizard dangling inside it!
Old 03-14-2015, 08:11 PM
Sage

Has anybody noticed if your health improves if you don't go out to eat or buy take-out? When I worked I use to eat the cafeteria food, take-out and a restaurant once a week. Now I have the time to cook and I enjoy it. I'm not germaphobic. But I wonder if you are less susceptible if others don't handle your food.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Has anybody noticed if your health improves if you don't go out to eat or buy take-out? When I worked I use to eat the cafeteria food, take-out and a restaurant once a week. Now I have the time to cook and I enjoy it. I'm not germaphobic. But I wonder if you are less susceptible if others don't handle your food.
We just came back from a month of other people handling our food and no health problems arose, so I guess not, at least in our case. I do find, however, that it's easier to eat healthier when we eat at home.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:31 PM
Gold member

Money really is dirty/germy. But the servers aren't touching the food on the plate when they bring it, and if a food runner brings it, they are usually wearing disposable gloves.

When our kids became servers (about 8-9 years ago) they were required to wash hands after clearing a table and other such things, and it was strictly enforced. Probably not all places to that.

I carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer in my purse and when we're dining out, I use it before eating if I haven't washed hands at a sink first.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:54 PM
Sage

Quote:

Annie said there was a study done about a year ago, at New York University, and it was found that dollar bills that were tested contained 3,000 different forms of bacteria. Some could cause the following:

1) gastric-ulcers

2) pneumonia

3) food poisoning

4) staph infections

5) acne

Also, there was fungi, plant pathogens, DNA from animals, and even minute amounts of diphtheria and anthrax.

I don't have a link to the study and I'm not looking for one because I think it's common sense that dollar bills naturally contain lots of different kinds of bacteria.

Is it safe to put tips on the table in restaurants? The waiters then pick up the tips with their bare hands and continue serving customers.

The health department is fussy about how the kitchen is kept, it must be just so, but don't they have anything to say about the filthy money situation?
I always give a cash tip to insure against the server having to share.
I pay for the meal with a debit ccrd and handover the tip when I get my card back
I can't be worried about germs - there are so many transactions during the day it would be silly. I do use hand sanitizer often
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 03-15-2015, 02:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Since most people use Visa or Debit cards, I don't think dirty money is a big problem for most of us.
But it might be a good idea for a new restaurant for germaphobics - a restaurant where everyone wears HazMat suits and everything is sterilized multiple times.
Hey, Bare.
I'll take all the dirty mopney I can lay my hands on
!
Old 03-15-2015, 02:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

1) gastric-ulcers
2) pneumonia
3) food poisoning
4) staph infections
5) acne

Judging by the many hang-ups you have, my suggestion would be for you to never eat out.
Then you don't have to leave a tip.
Do not handle any money. Use plastic (credit card or debit card) when you have to pay for anything or write a check.

When you eat at home (so you won't get any of the above-mentioned deadly diseases),
use plastic throwaway utensils, paper plates and napkins, etc.
That way you won't have to touch bacteria infested dishes.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default You beat me to it, drats!

I'm always a day late and a "dirty dollar" short!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Hey, Bare.
I'll take all the dirty mopney I can lay my hands on
!
Old 03-15-2015, 07:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
Your garden hose water is exactly the same as water inside your house. The sprinkler water is recycled water
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 03-15-2015, 08:16 AM
Platinum member

Please send all your filthy money to me!!!..

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.