Real Short Pour

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2016, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

A rocks glass is approximately 4 oz. A standard shot of whisky is 1-1/2 oz. The fact that there was only one ice cube may have been the problem. A properly served drink in a rocks glass should have the glass filled with ice. When it is served this way, the whisky will fill the glass approximately 7/8 full.

Also some people expect more than 1-1/2 ounces for the price.

In the other hand $13.00 per drink is extremely excessive.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:14 AM
Sage

Some establishments will provide more liquor when ordered "on the rocks". When in doubt ask as it varies from place to place. I don't think it should vary but it sometimes does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
WE recently went to Bonifay's after golf and I always ask if its Happy Hour. Yes it is $3.95 for house liquor. OK I will have a house burbon on the Rocks. I get the bill afterwards and I see its $5.95. I call the watress over and she said you had it on the rocks and we had to charge more because it requires more liquor????????? I said you never told me that and she finally reduced the price to 3.95 but the rationale was crazy!!!

The only decent places around (that we have tried) for a good happy hour liquor drink meaning decent prices for house or premium liquor are Bonefish, Havana, Arnold Palmer, Cane Graden, and Glen View. We have also had luck at Honest John's but only During Happy Hour and on Wednesdays they include premium drinks in their happy hours
Old 05-30-2016, 08:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

A premium Martini at non-happy hour or in a first class resturant can easily cost $10 per drink plus tax and tip. So your over $12 per drink. Expensive yes but thats the going non-happy hour rate!

When you go on a cruise, Celebrity has a Martini Bar which is always packed with people....a Premium 4oz Martini is $12.95 plus 18% tip...$15.28 per drink. And a cruise line booze costs them hardly anything!
Old 05-30-2016, 08:50 AM
Sage

There are only 5 places in the villages that include premium whisky's in their happy hour, Cody's, Arnold Palmer, Cane Garden, Nancy Lopez and Hemingways.

However; I always get a good pour @ the Cane, Arnold Palmer an ok pour @ Cody's & exceptional pours @ Hemingways (happy hour or not) and Bonefish.

we stopped going to one club when they started measuring shots, returned when they resumed free pouring ( bar person counts)
Old 05-30-2016, 04:22 PM
Eternal Member

Just should have gone to Cody's and had the premium drinks at a two for one.

True, Honest John does have a very nicer atmosphere but what a price to pay for atmosphere!
Old 05-30-2016, 04:27 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
A premium Martini at non-happy hour or in a first class resturant can easily cost $10 per drink plus tax and tip. So your over $12 per drink. Expensive yes but thats the going non-happy hour rate!

When you go on a cruise, Celebrity has a Martini Bar which is always packed with people....a Premium 4oz Martini is $12.95 plus 18% tip...$15.28 per drink. And a cruise line booze costs them hardly anything!
That is absolutely true with Celebrity-my favorite cruise line! My travel agent always makes sure I get the Premium Drink package included or gives me enough shipboard credits to pay for it.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
We went to an unnamed watering hole in the vicinity of Lake Sumter Landing, for a get together with friends.
We both drink premium whisky's, hers came in martini glass, mine came in rocks glass with one large ice cube in it, the level of liquor in my glass was less than 3/4", to be sociable we both had two drinks each.

Bill+ tip came to $52. & change - & we didn't eat

All I can say is I get triple the amount of what I was drinking @ The Bonefish for less $-

Some bartenders @ this establishment know how to pour, others don't--we don't enter if a bartender we don't know isn't working.

Its a shame a restaurant doesn't have consistency.
Chatbrat what type of liquor did you order?
Old 07-01-2016, 05:10 AM
Sage

Johnny Walker Black on the rocks
Old 07-01-2016, 06:16 AM
Platinum member
Default Nice one

Quote:
WE recently went to Bonifay's after golf and I always ask if its Happy Hour. Yes it is $3.95 for house liquor. OK I will have a house burbon on the Rocks. I get the bill afterwards and I see its $5.95. I call the watress over and she said you had it on the rocks and we had to charge more because it requires more liquor????????? I said you never told me that and she finally reduced the price to 3.95 but the rationale was crazy!!!

The only decent places around (that we have tried) for a good happy hour liquor drink meaning decent prices for house or premium liquor are Bonefish, Havana, Arnold Palmer, Cane Graden, and Glen View. We have also had luck at Honest John's but only During Happy Hour and on Wednesdays they include premium drinks in their happy hours
Never heard thst excuse before about overchsrging.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:31 PM

It is no wonder that Bonefish is the number 1 favorite here. I also think Hemingways offers very good value and love their happy hour drinks.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:20 AM

I would address this with the manager. I drink premium bourbon and was just there recently. My drinks were 7.00; others in the group had 2 scotch and water and 5 beers. Total was $35.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Johnny Walker Black on the rocks

Excellent taste!
Old 07-05-2016, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
we stopped going to one club when they started measuring shots, returned when they resumed free pouring ( bar person counts)
Do you expect to get more than what you pay for. You are paying for 1-1/2 ounces of liquor. Why would you not go to a bar that pours exactly what you order and pay for?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:48 AM
Sage

A friend of mine who was a bartender before he retired, had the same problem, when they first opened up. He brought it to the attention of the manager, who did not make it right. It was the principle of the thing, that bothered him.

Needless to say, we haven't been back!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Sage

when they first opened , we had the same problem--if we were seated @ the bar it would have been corrected

since we were with neighbors , I bit the bullet-

they will not get our business anymore & since there menu is so limited, I have personal trainer & my trainer will not go there again , since they trimmed their menu,too
Closed Thread

Tags
glass, pour, eat, bonefish, drinking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.