Restaurant report card

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2015, 03:47 PM
Sage
Lightbulb Restaurant report card

grades on antibiotics in meat supply

(CNN)A new report is sounding the alarm about the use of antibiotics in the meat and poultry supply chains of the 25 largest U.S. fast food and "fast casual" restaurants.

Most top U.S. restaurant chains have no publicly available policy to limit regular use of antibiotics in their meat and poultry supply chains, according to the "Chain Reaction" report by Friends of the Earth, the Natural Resources Defense Council and four other consumer interest, public health and environmental organizations.

"When livestock producers administer antibiotics routinely to their flocks and herds, bacteria can develop resistance, thrive and even spread to our communities, contributing to the larger problem of antibiotic resistance," the authors wrote in the report, which was released Tuesday. "The worsening epidemic of resistance means that antibiotics may not work when we need
them most: when our kids contract a staph infection (MRSA), or our parents get a life-threatening pneumonia."

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization have repeatedly warned about the not-far-off public health threat of antibiotic resistance. The CDC estimates at least 2 million Americans contract antibiotic-resistant infections every year, and that 23,000 die as a result.

"A post-antibiotic era -- in which common infections and minor injuries can kill -- far from being an apocalyptic fantasy, is instead a very real possibility for the 21st century," the WHO cautioned in a 2014 report.
Search for next generation antibiotics

As people are eating out more than ever, the researchers behind the report wanted to look closely at "industry leaders and laggards." They created a
scorecard assessing the commitments of U.S. restaurant chains on antibiotics use and transparency in their supply chains.

How did your favorite food fare?

Each restaurant was graded on its antibiotics use policies, including the strength of the policy and whether it applies to all types of meat; its implementation of policies, including the estimated availability of meat produced without routine antibiotics; and transparency about its policies, including third-party audits, whether its policy was listed online and whether it responded to the survey. They authors reached out to restaurants in person, via email or via traditional mail. The total number of possible points was based on the restaurant's menu offerings.
The Villages Florida

Chipotle and Panera Bread fared best, with both receiving As. Those restaurants are the only two that report serving a majority of their meat from animals raised without regular use of antibiotics, the report said.

Dunkin' Donuts and McDonald's received Cs. Subway, Wendy's, Burger King, Denny's, Domino's and Starbucks all received Fs, but got at least one point.

Other restaurants that received Fs earned zero out of 36 possible points: Olive Garden, Papa John's, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC, Applebee's, Sonic, Chili's, Jack in the Box, Arby's, Dairy Queen, IHOP, Outback and Little Caesars.

Last edited by jimbo2012; 09-15-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

There have been many Recalls of salads and vegetabLes so nothing is healthy or safe. I personally can take no one seriously that quotes Sanjay Gupta. That is just barely Better than quoting Dr. Oz.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Jimbo. You are edifying us again. What have you done with VPL?
Old 09-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Jimbo. You are edifying us again. What have you done with VPL?
my thought exactly

"A good rule of thumb is to avoid eating foods that contain ingredients you can't pronounce," says Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN's chief medical correspondent.

would he like us to avoid medication we cannot pronounce as well? Good luck if you need a hydroxymethylglutarylCoEnzymeAreductase inhibitor. I didn't know the value of something was tied to its pronunciation, but then again you were quoting Gupta, so you get what you get. I hope this now means I don't have to eat broccoli or Brussels sprouts
Old 09-15-2015, 04:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Jimbo. You are edifying us again.
Not at all darling, target your comments to CNN
Old 09-15-2015, 04:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Not at all darling, target your comments to CNN
Heh. You brought it to ToTV, not CNN.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
my thought exactly

"A good rule of thumb is to avoid eating foods that contain ingredients you can't pronounce," says Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN's chief medical correspondent.

would he like us to avoid medication we cannot pronounce as well? Good luck if you need a hydroxymethylglutarylCoEnzymeAreductase inhibitor. I didn't know the value of something was tied to its pronunciation, but then again you were quoting Gupta, so you get what you get. I hope this now means I don't have to eat broccoli or Brussels sprouts

Holy smokes. How big a needle do they needle to give you that hydroxymethylglutarylCoEnzymeAreductase shot? Brussel sprouts don't fit in a needle do they. Joking aside, I agree with you.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Heh. You brought it to ToTV, not CNN.
Agreed
Old 09-15-2015, 04:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Holy smokes. How big a needle do they needle to give you that hydroxymethylglutarylCoEnzymeAreductase shot? Brussel sprouts don't fit in a needle do they. Joking aside, I agree with you.
Fortunately it's a pill. And replace that long monstrosity (which took me years to pronounce glibly) with a 6 letter word-----Statin. I guess Gupta only endorses taking something if it has a short name as well. And to the previous poster---yes, he's still better than Oz, kind of in the same way that shingles are still better than herpes.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
grades on antibiotics in meat supply

(CNN)A new report is sounding the alarm about the use of antibiotics in the meat and poultry supply chains of the 25 largest U.S. fast food and "fast casual" restaurants.

Most top U.S. restaurant chains have no publicly available policy to limit regular use of antibiotics in their meat and poultry supply chains, according to the "Chain Reaction" report by Friends of the Earth, the Natural Resources Defense Council and four other consumer interest, public health and environmental organizations.

"When livestock producers administer antibiotics routinely to their flocks and herds, bacteria can develop resistance, thrive and even spread to our communities, contributing to the larger problem of antibiotic resistance," the authors wrote in the report, which was released Tuesday. "The worsening epidemic of resistance means that antibiotics may not work when we need
them most: when our kids contract a staph infection (MRSA), or our parents get a life-threatening pneumonia."

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization have repeatedly warned about the not-far-off public health threat of antibiotic resistance. The CDC estimates at least 2 million Americans contract antibiotic-resistant infections every year, and that 23,000 die as a result.

"A post-antibiotic era -- in which common infections and minor injuries can kill -- far from being an apocalyptic fantasy, is instead a very real possibility for the 21st century," the WHO cautioned in a 2014 report.
Search for next generation antibiotics

As people are eating out more than ever, the researchers behind the report wanted to look closely at "industry leaders and laggards." They created a
scorecard assessing the commitments of U.S. restaurant chains on antibiotics use and transparency in their supply chains.

How did your favorite food fare?

Each restaurant was graded on its antibiotics use policies, including the strength of the policy and whether it applies to all types of meat; its implementation of policies, including the estimated availability of meat produced without routine antibiotics; and transparency about its policies, including third-party audits, whether its policy was listed online and whether it responded to the survey. They authors reached out to restaurants in person, via email or via traditional mail. The total number of possible points was based on the restaurant's menu offerings.
The Villages Florida

Chipotle and Panera Bread fared best, with both receiving As. Those restaurants are the only two that report serving a majority of their meat from animals raised without regular use of antibiotics, the report said.

Dunkin' Donuts and McDonald's received Cs. Subway, Wendy's, Burger King, Denny's, Domino's and Starbucks all received Fs, but got at least one point.

Other restaurants that received Fs earned zero out of 36 possible points: Olive Garden, Papa John's, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC, Applebee's, Sonic, Chili's, Jack in the Box, Arby's, Dairy Queen, IHOP, Outback and Little Caesars.
Zzzzzzzzzzz.......Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............Zz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannon451 View Post
Zzzzzzzzzzz.......Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............Zz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
What I find amazing is that a group of (probable) wackos, form their own (probable) wacko group, then give it a legitimate sounding name. They then develop their own (probable) wacko scorecard and send out foot soldiers to these restaurant chains to fill in their (probable) wacko scorecard (and probably coerce donations as well). Then they put their (probable) wacko results on some (probable)wacko internet blog. Then CNN picks up on it and all of a sudden it is legitimate????
I'll bet the "world headquarters" of these groups is in Mommy's basement.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Fortunately it's a pill. And replace that long monstrosity (which took me years to pronounce glibly) with a 6 letter word-----Statin. I guess Gupta only endorses taking something if it has a short name as well. And to the previous poster---yes, he's still better than Oz, kind of in the same way that shingles are still better than herpes.

I sure get the point of that analogy. Ouch!
Old 09-15-2015, 05:42 PM
Gold member

I don't know about their study and I do know organizations can slant a story any way they want to benefit them but--

A few years ago I had 13 UTIs in 2 years. Every 2 months like clockwork. My primary care doctor and urologist put me on antibiotics but the infections would come back. The urologist put me on Cipro for a year. Didnt help but caused some nerve damage in my hands. I saw an ABC News story about antibiotics in chicken and I love chicken! Finally a Wellness doctor was able to help me. I now only buy USDA natural chicken (free range and without antibiotics). I'm pretty picky when I eat out. I do like Panera Bread or Chik-fa-la.

Please excuse any typos. I have a broken finger and it is hard to type!
Old 09-15-2015, 05:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
I don't know about their study and I do know organizations can slant a story any way they want to benefit them but--

A few years ago I had 13 UTIs in 2 years. Every 2 months like clockwork. My primary care doctor and urologist put me on antibiotics but the infections would come back. The urologist put me on Cipro for a year. Didnt help but caused some nerve damage in my hands. I saw an ABC News story about antibiotics in chicken and I love chicken! Finally a Wellness doctor was able to help me. I now only buy USDA natural chicken (free range and without antibiotics). I'm pretty picky when I eat out. I do like Panera Bread or Chik-fa-la.

I hope you're better and I hope both your Cipro induced neuropathy and broken finger are better. Beyond that, I don't get the point. Are you trying to draw a cause and effect relationship between antibiotic use in the chicken industry and your recurrent UTIs???? If so, don't waste your breath, no such evidence exists. Even if your "Wellness Doctor" (whatever THAT is) sold you on the idea, IT DOES NOT EXIST.
Now if you are, or believe yourself to be, healthier eating just natural free range chicken, by all means continue. I'll always take a good result over a million elegant diagnoses any day
Old 09-15-2015, 09:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post

You did very well. And when you get down here for good, you will find non hormone/antibiotic grass fed meat and non antibiotic free range chickens at The Organic Chef store in Ocala. You can order online and go pick it up. Or you can walk into the store and see what they have. It's the best!

I hope your injury heals soon.

Tags
antibiotics, report, restaurants, chains, meat, restaurant, resistance, u.s, supply, including, policy, received, policies, health, authors, points, contract, infections, antibiotic, public, eating, transparency, poultry, regular, food

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.