Restaurant report card

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2015, 04:32 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Well I am not one to throw caution to the wind but the world of experts have continued in my lifetime to walk back too many warnings. My first recollection was cranberry sauce. Now experts did well with cigarettes and I finally mustered up enough courage to stop smoking in 1973.

Today the same folks who adhere to the dangers of climate change also believe that GMO's are the devil. Now I do believe the climate is always changing but I am not concerned with GMO's because GMO's have existed for many years. And I can't fault people for believing scientist. However science seems to never be settled and one has only to look at how many times scientist have walked back man's origins.

I was a victim to an overuse of an antibotic before it became fashionable. It took over 30 days while an inpatient for doctors to discover it was the cause to what they diagnosed as psudeo-membraneous enter colitis (sp) and they cured it with a recent army's discovery of another antibotic vagamicin (sp). My doctors advise stay away from broad spectrum antibotics in the future

Plainly speaking again I will not throw caution to the wind but methinks far too many scientist suffer from conceit, lack of attention, a desire for the validation of their life's work at any costs or are swayed by profits.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Well I am not one to throw caution to the wind but the world of experts have continued in my lifetime to walk back too many warnings. My first recollection was cranberry sauce. Now experts did well with cigarettes and I finally mustered up enough courage to stop smoking in 1973.

Today the same folks who adhere to the dangers of climate change also believe that GMO's are the devil. Now I do believe the climate is always changing but I am not concerned with GMO's because GMO's have existed for many years. And I can't fault people for believing scientist. However science seems to never be settled and one has only to look at how many times scientist have walked back man's origins.

I was a victim to an overuse of an antibotic before it became fashionable. It took over 30 days while an inpatient for doctors to discover it was the cause to what they diagnosed as psudeo-membraneous enter colitis (sp) and they cured it with a recent army's discovery of another antibotic vagamicin (sp). My doctors advise stay away from broad spectrum antibotics in the future

Plainly speaking again I will not throw caution to the wind but methinks far too many scientist suffer from conceit, lack of attention, a desire for the validation of their life's work at any costs or are swayed by profits.
Sorry you had a personal encounter with pseudomembranous enterocolitis. This occurs when broad spectrum antibiotics administered DIRECTLY to a patient kills most of the normal intestinal bacteria and allows the overgrowth of a specific species---Clostridium difficile. This bacteria elaborates a toxin that causes profuse diarrhea. In and of itself it is not bad, it is about 8% of the normal intestinal bacteria and without it we would all be chronically constipated. It's only when it "runs amuck" and grows to 50,60,70% that the problems ensue. It can fairly easily be treated with metronidazole or in your case, vancomycin. This condition is a known possible side effect in 1-2% of those taking broad spectrum ABX and varies in severity greatly. Remember, as long as the original antibiotic was given for a legitimate reason, you probably cured an infection that could have been much worse.

For those of you worried about the OP, fear not. You CANNOT get this condition from meat that came from an animal that was given antibiotics. Let me clarify that---there is an extremely slight possibility if you eat your meat raw---not rare, RAW. If you make a habit of eating raw chicken or pork, consider yourself lucky to have survived this long. Besides, there are a lot more dangerous things in raw meat than antibiotics.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Sorry you had a personal encounter with pseudomembranous enterocolitis. This occurs when broad spectrum antibiotics administered DIRECTLY to a patient kills most of the normal intestinal bacteria and allows the overgrowth of a specific species---Clostridium difficile. This bacteria elaborates a toxin that causes profuse diarrhea. In and of itself it is not bad, it is about 8% of the normal intestinal bacteria and without it we would all be chronically constipated. It's only when it "runs amuck" and grows to 50,60,70% that the problems ensue. It can fairly easily be treated with metronidazole or in your case, vancomycin. This condition is a known possible side effect in 1-2% of those taking broad spectrum ABX and varies in severity greatly. Remember, as long as the original antibiotic was given for a legitimate reason, you probably cured an infection that could have been much worse.

For those of you worried about the OP, fear not. You CANNOT get this condition from meat that came from an animal that was given antibiotics. Let me clarify that---there is an extremely slight possibility if you eat your meat raw---not rare, RAW. If you make a habit of eating raw chicken or pork, consider yourself lucky to have survived this long. Besides, there are a lot more dangerous things in raw meat than antibiotics.

I am such an advocate of good science.

I wish you were setting up practice here, Doc. But that's o.k., you deserve to retire, just like the rest of us.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:22 AM
Platinum member

Lived this long eating off the shelf chicken, beef and pork. Guess I will continue doing the same.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am such an advocate of good science.

I wish you were setting up practice here, Doc. But that's o.k., you deserve to retire, just like the rest of us.
Sorry GG, I think I fought the good fight long enough. With the changes in progress, I was beginning to feels like a salmon swimming upstream. I'll leave the new era of healthcare to a younger generation of physicians, they'll do just fine. I do miss it already, so every time I get a Villages Heath Care recruitment postcard, I think about----but only for 3 seconds, then I come to the realization that my wife would go postal.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:31 AM
Sage

the thread is not about what you buy from your market but what you eat at restaurants and how they respond to the issue.

But in buying meat & fish from your retail markets.......

Antibiotic-resistant (AR) bacteria can spread from farm animals to humans via food, via animal-to-human transfer on farms and in rural areas, and through contaminated waste entering the environment. The most commonly affected populations are those with under-developed or compromised immune systems: pregnant women, children, the elderly and people with certain health conditions. But increasingly, AR bacteria have the potential to affect anyone.

Antibiotic resistance has become a global problem. People get sicker from these infections, as it takes multiple rounds of increasingly stronger antibiotics to stop the infection, allowing the infection to progress further than it might otherwise. Fewer drug options can make it harder for doctors to treat patients with allergies to some antibiotics and make it more likely for patients to require stronger drugs given intravenously.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that at least 2 million Americans each year experience AR infections, leading to at least 23,000 deaths. Approximately 22 percent of those infected originate from foodborne pathogens.
Multiple studies have found AR bacteria in retail meat and fish products, including the federal government’s National Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring System (NARMS), and AR bacteria have cause notable foodborne illness outbreaks.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:45 AM
Sage

On loose fruits and vegetables, look at the Price Look Up (PLU) sticker. If the produce is organic, the code will contain five-digits beginning with 9. Non-organic counterparts will have four digits. (Example: Organically grown bananas will be 94011, compared to 4011 for those treated with chemicals and pesticides.) A five-digit PLU beginning with 8 means the item is genetically modified, which some research indicates may pose health risks.

To bear the green-and-white “USDA Organic” seal, packaged organics must be certified by any of the 50 USDA-accredited certified agents and contain at least 95 percent organically produced ingredients (excluding water and salt). Those with at least 70 percent organically produced ingredients may use the words “made with organic ingredients” but cannot have the green-and-white USDA seal. Some may have labels with a different color combination.

here's an interesting article on facts the organic industry don't want you to know.

Remember always attack the messenger not the message
Old 09-16-2015, 10:22 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Jimbo. You are edifying us again. What have you done with VPL?
Very well stated. Much more articulate than the reference I was going to make about a little dog that just won't stop humping your leg no matter how many times you kick him off.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
Very well stated. Much more articulate than the reference I was going to make about a little dog that just won't stop humping your leg no matter how many times you kick him off.
You NAILED it.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:20 AM
Sage
Default Restaurant report card

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
...Multiple studies have found AR bacteria in retail meat and fish products...have cause notable foodborne illness outbreaks.
Multiple studies have found << fill in the cause of your choice >> .
Old 09-16-2015, 11:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
the thread is not about what you buy from your market but what you eat at restaurants and how they respond to the issue.

But in buying meat & fish from your retail markets.......

Antibiotic-resistant (AR) bacteria can spread from farm animals to humans via food, via animal-to-human transfer on farms and in rural areas, and through contaminated waste entering the environment. The most commonly affected populations are those with under-developed or compromised immune systems: pregnant women, children, the elderly and people with certain health conditions. But increasingly, AR bacteria have the potential to affect anyone.

Antibiotic resistance has become a global problem. People get sicker from these infections, as it takes multiple rounds of increasingly stronger antibiotics to stop the infection, allowing the infection to progress further than it might otherwise. Fewer drug options can make it harder for doctors to treat patients with allergies to some antibiotics and make it more likely for patients to require stronger drugs given intravenously.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that at least 2 million Americans each year experience AR infections, leading to at least 23,000 deaths. Approximately 22 percent of those infected originate from foodborne pathogens.
Multiple studies have found AR bacteria in retail meat and fish products, including the federal government’s National Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring System (NARMS), and AR bacteria have cause notable foodborne illness outbreaks.

Once again, I assume you COOK your meat. Foodborne outbreaks are almost always caused by the consumption of raw food that was mishandled---especially vegetables, and in restaurants are usually traced to the salads
Old 09-16-2015, 01:15 PM

With all of the warnings, information and misinformation that we are fed on a daily basis..... don't you wonder how we all have managed to live long enough to retire to this lovely place?
Old 09-16-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inexes@aol.com View Post
With all of the warnings, information and misinformation that we are fed on a daily basis..... don't you wonder how we all have managed to live long enough to retire to this lovely place?
Very, very little, if any of the OP's comments are because of a genuine concern for the health of those who consume meat and fish. The true concern here is for the animals that are being raised for consumption. There is a much better chance of converting someone playing the "health card" then the, here is my "PETA membership card". (my opinion)
Closed Thread

Tags
antibiotics, report, restaurants, chains, meat, restaurant, resistance, u.s, supply, including, policy, received, policies, health, authors, points, contract, infections, antibiotic, public, eating, transparency, poultry, regular, food

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.