Ricciardi's Italian Table in Brownwood

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2016, 08:56 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

///

Last edited by Northwoods; 05-09-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
So what is the percentage of people who say this restaurant is pretty good? A very high percentage, can we agree on that? Take the main source of the criticism with a grain of salt...or a pinch of salt.
I suggest throwing out the top positive view and the bottom negative view, and go from there.

When I was not watching what I eat, I had a very good fettuccine there. When I was, I had a decent veal Marsala. The waiter walked by with a pizza which my husband thought looked good--although not as good as the pizza the Italian family made in their little shop on Ardmore Blvd. back in the '70s & '80s.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:58 PM
Veteran member

I'm Italian, I'm from Philly, I had a Nana and a Grandmom (read: all homemade gnocchis, spagetti, gravy, sausage, meatballs) and too many home cooked big Italian dinners to count. Here's what I found: I LOVE Italian food, and I can find a good dish to satisfy me almost anywhere! Do I love some better than others? Of course, Yes! (I liked my Mother's way better than Aunt Maria's, but I'd never turn down a meal there!) Might I return to that restaurant, mostly because I love the strolling singers and THAT DAMN GOOD FOOD SMELL!, but order something else? Probably! Then again, gimme a plate of olive oil and some good bread...and I'm happy already! Yes, it's about the food, but it's also about the experience...the family you're with, the friends...and if that happens to be chicken parmigiana that night, or a bowl of gnocchis (just kill me!), I'm in. I believe I can have bad food in Philly and excellent food in The Villages, to think otherwise is very close minded. Same goes for everywhere, and yes, a lot of our tastes depend on where we were raised and what we've grown to love. But, truth be told, I'm happy to be here in the winter, rather than in Philly eating Amoroso rolls, Pat's cheese steaks and soft pretzels!
Old 05-10-2016, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Lovey2,
I grew up in suburban philly, and worked for a few years in northeast philly, I remember Amoroso rolls, wish I could find them here.

I am half Italian, one set of grandparents came from Sicily, I had the same experiences you did, and I agree with you comments.
VT
Old 05-10-2016, 08:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey2 View Post
I'm Italian, I'm from Philly, I had a Nana and a Grandmom (read: all homemade gnocchis, spagetti, gravy, sausage, meatballs) and too many home cooked big Italian dinners to count. Here's what I found: I LOVE Italian food, and I can find a good dish to satisfy me almost anywhere! Do I love some better than others? Of course, Yes! (I liked my Mother's way better than Aunt Maria's, but I'd never turn down a meal there!) Might I return to that restaurant, mostly because I love the strolling singers and THAT DAMN GOOD FOOD SMELL!, but order something else? Probably! Then again, gimme a plate of olive oil and some good bread...and I'm happy already! Yes, it's about the food, but it's also about the experience...the family you're with, the friends...and if that happens to be chicken parmigiana that night, or a bowl of gnocchis (just kill me!), I'm in. I believe I can have bad food in Philly and excellent food in The Villages, to think otherwise is very close minded. Same goes for everywhere, and yes, a lot of our tastes depend on where we were raised and what we've grown to love. But, truth be told, I'm happy to be here in the winter, rather than in Philly eating Amoroso rolls, Pat's cheese steaks and soft pretzels!

There you go!
Old 05-10-2016, 09:05 AM
Platinum member

I certainly didn’t intend to start a maelstrom. In my original comment I could have added “for here”. As in “After shopping the farmer's market this weekend, we sat at the bar at Ricciardi's for a couple of Margarita's. We also ordered some appetizers: Fried Calamari, Mussels, and a small pizza. All three were delicious. FOR HERE. Wouldn't that have been rude?

From the day we arrived I told my husband we will not compare anything to home. TV is a new adventure (and our final chapter) and we must learn to develop interests and new tastes.

You want the best meatballs – go to Martorano’s in Philly. You want great pizza, go to LB Spumoni Gardens or Di Fara’s in Brooklyn, Steak? No one beats Peter Luger’s, seafood - Randazzo's in Sheepshead Bay. But we no longer will be going to any of these restaurants.

As of this Friday, The Villages will be our home and we will continue to explore and try to find food that is appropriate to our “New York palate” and not offend any by comparing what is here to what we left behind.

My BIGGEST reservation in moving here was that I would be unable to find restaurants that my husband and I would like given the preponderance of chain restaurants. But if you look hard enough, you can find something close enough. And one adjusts. We had lunch last week at Red Sauce – great? No. Acceptable? yes. The waiter also recommended: Mom and Dad’s Italian, Sams St. John’s, and the Fruitland Park Café. The dog groomer recommended Magnolia Street Oysters. Someone else suggested we take the drive to 4 Rivers BBQ for their Brontosaurus Ribs. Indian? – We will try Amrit in Ocala. So there are new culinary adventures on our list which I am sure will continue to grow. Will we enjoy them? Maybe. Will they taste like what we were accustomed to in NY - probably not.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,009 Times in 451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
... although not as good as the pizza the Italian family made in their little shop on Ardmore Blvd. back in the '70s & '80s.
Vincent's?
Old 05-10-2016, 09:10 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
I certainly didn’t intend to start a maelstrom. In my original comment I could have added “for here”. As in “After shopping the farmer's market this weekend, we sat at the bar at Ricciardi's for a couple of Margarita's. We also ordered some appetizers: Fried Calamari, Mussels, and a small pizza. All three were delicious. FOR HERE. Wouldn't that have been rude?

From the day we arrived I told my husband we will not compare anything to home. TV is a new adventure (and our final chapter) and we must learn to develop interests and new tastes.

You want the best meatballs – go to Martorano’s in Philly. You want great pizza, go to LB Spumoni Gardens or Di Fara’s in Brooklyn, Steak? No one beats Peter Luger’s, seafood - Randazzo's in Sheepshead Bay. But we no longer will be going to any of these restaurants.

As of this Friday, The Villages will be our home and we will continue to explore and try to find food that is appropriate to our “New York palate” and not offend any by comparing what is here to what we left behind.

My BIGGEST reservation in moving here was that I would be unable to find restaurants that my husband and I would like given the preponderance of chain restaurants. But if you look hard enough, you can find something close enough. And one adjusts. We had lunch last week at Red Sauce – great? No. Acceptable? yes. The waiter also recommended: Mom and Dad’s Italian, Sams St. John’s, and the Fruitland Park Café. The dog groomer recommended Magnolia Street Oysters. Someone else suggested we take the drive to 4 Rivers BBQ for their Brontosaurus Ribs. Indian? – We will try Amrit in Ocala. So there are new culinary adventures on our list which I am sure will continue to grow. Will we enjoy them? Maybe. Will they taste like what we were accustomed to in NY - probably not.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:28 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I remember when they opened and I looked at their website. Before this place, they owned and operated something like 5 pizza carry outs in the Orlando area. So this was like their first attempt at a real sit down restaurant. We tried the pizza twice and it wasn't bad, but I believe they only offered one size for $10. It was too big for one person and too small for two. Maybe they have changed since then. I always like Giovannis at Southern Trace between Ace Hardware and Publix, in fact ate there this week. Their prices are unreal. For lunch a plate of spaghetti with meat sauce, a nice salad and garlic bread is about $6.95.
Giovanni's? I'm adding them to my list -- sounds like a great "after shopping" lunch destination. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:34 AM

We are also from Eastern PA close to the Lehigh Valley and Amoroso Rolls are the best!!
Old 05-10-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
I'm on the the opinion a lot of the posters on this thread must really like Chef Boyardee
I'm of the opinion you have very little tolerance for others.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
I'm on the the opinion a lot of the posters on this thread must really like Chef Boyardee

Actually it was Chef Boiardi. Thank goodness he Americanized the name.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:13 AM
Default Thank you!

Quote:

What a great post!! Well stated and I couldn't agree more..
Old 05-10-2016, 10:14 AM
Sage

Quote:

The downside to TV is that food is not of the gourmet type, but still appetizing. No one will get an Italian meal that was made at home, especially if the pasta was made form scratch.

Mom and Dad's for Spinach Lasagna and other homemade pasta.
Chef's of Napoli
Goivanni's
Little Joey's

Other decent restaurants are:
Oakwood on 441 for BBQ ribs.
Paella - Latinos Y Mas on 301 in Ocala

BTW - I have never eaten at Riccardi's in Brownwwod so I guess someday I will try it. I also want to try the Brazilian Steak House in Ocala. Across the street for Latino's Y Mas.

Some people are food snobs. I thankfully don't have discriminate taste buds but I know good food when I eat it, but I am easily satisfied. I am from NY but don't have biases against the food served in TV but have noticed the quality isn't as good but you adapt and move on. I also think it is fun to discover some of the better restaurants in TV and it's surrounding areas.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 05-10-2016, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:

Such a thoughtful post...there was nothing wrong with the first one either. You are a credit to the maligned people of the tri-state area. After what you both went through to get to TV it is wise to assimalate and make your new life the best you can. You are a great example of positivity for others who struggle.
Closed Thread

Tags
margaritas, ricciardis, back, pizza, proper

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.