Rose Plantation

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2016, 02:39 PM
Sage

When a restaurant has a really large menu, they have a lot boil in the bag items , frozen mass produced entrees that are micro waveable, a volunteer fire dept that I belonged to, made a lot of money by running a catering facility above the fire house- we could handle parties as large as 400--it was an eye opener as to what pre made restaurant grade entrees are available, thru various purveyors & I'm seeing a lot of this in the villages restaurants
Old 12-31-2016, 04:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Great to hear that the Rose Plantation, will be a reservation only establishment . IMHO, in total fairness to the owner and others who would like to make reservations--all reservations should be secured with a non-refundable deposit via credit card.
Yeah... I can live with that.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
When a restaurant has a really large menu, they have a lot boil in the bag items , frozen mass produced entrees that are micro wavetable,...
So you think the Rose Plantation cooks their meals in boil-in-bags? And uses a microwave oven?

Got news for you. They don't have a microwave for cooking and not even a deep fryer for frying.

Next time you go there, order French Fries and see what their response is.

A really large menu means they employ a lot of kitchen staff.

Skip
Old 12-31-2016, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
So you think the Rose Plantation cooks their meals in boil-in-bags? And uses a microwave oven?

Got news for you. They don't have a microwave for cooking and not even a deep fryer for frying.

Skip
I think you missed the point ...."a resturant with a large menu would have those things" not that rose plantation has those things
Old 12-31-2016, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
Four of us went to Rose Plantation tonight. A beautiful setting. The owners are lovely and working with diligence to make a wonderful dining experience for their guests. They do have a lot of wine choice contrary to other reports. Dinner choices included steak, chicken picata, and grouper. All meals were delicious though asking for the steak to be cooked Pittsburgh style was not totally successful. The chocolate mouse is fabulous and we heard others raving about the bread pudding. The restaurant is new and is striving to meet the palates of Villagers, it is a fabulous option to the "same old". And such a gorgeous location. Definitely recommend it.

Also I called initially and got voice mail today. Left a message and received a call back with a reservation for tonight. If you did not get called back, call again. They just opened! It's busy there and the owners are working so hard to make this a great dining experience. And by the way, they live in Collier.
Thanks for letting us know there is a bigger wine selection, than the one listed on the websit menu.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post

Skip
Yeah, you missed his point Skip. I know the hotel trade and I know the frozen foods that Sysco and other food suppliers can turn out frozen. For the most part the food is good, but I would rather have a small menu and know that the kitchen is cooking to order.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Default Rose Plantaion

Had reservations for New Year's Eve for several weeks. They called during the day to confirm with us. The shocker was they shared they were going to have surf and turf only and it would be $100 a piece. Reservation was for 4 couples. In several contacts with the restaurant it was never mentioned. We cancelled because I'm not excited about paying that much at a new restaurant, especially on New Years Eve which is known for bad meals and service. Hope to give it a try sometime soon.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1031 View Post
Had reservations for New Year's Eve for several weeks. They called during the day to confirm with us. The shocker was they shared they were going to have surf and turf only and it would be $100 a piece. Reservation was for 4 couples. In several contacts with the restaurant it was never mentioned. We cancelled because I'm not excited about paying that much at a new restaurant, especially on New Years Eve which is known for bad meals and service. Hope to give it a try sometime soon.
Don't blame you for canceling, not about the $$$, but only having one dish. What if you had a shell fish allergy or did not eat beef. That kind of last minute decision on menu was a bad call especially on New Year's Eve when pretty much everything else is already booked.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

A former co worker of my wife is the chef there. We've been waiting for it to open.
But with prices like this, it will be reserved for special occasions only.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:59 PM

Has anyone gone here since the opening? If so, how was the experience? Food, service, pricing?
Old 02-05-2017, 07:43 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

We went there a week or so after New Years eve. We will go back, but will wait a couple months until they work out some issues. Limited menu, out of a few items, limited wines and also out of a few. Setting was beautiful, very nice ambiance, great service, slow kitchen, but still has a few opening pains.

Overall a B- but will give it at least another couple tries. I like what they are trying to do and hope they succeed. We need a place like this close by.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:41 PM
Platinum member

We went there for lunch today. The She Crab soup was fantastic. The Prime Rib sandwich great. But to die for was, The Banana Cream Pie (made by one of the waitresses)!!! Service was excellent. I did not find the lunch prices high. I did look at the dinner menu, and I can see where some Villagers might find the prices high. I, on the other hand, can't wait to go back for dinner.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Had VD lunch there today with neighbors. First time for us. Arrived at 10:50 and a line already -open at 11 for lunch. VERY nice place - a 100 year old quaint southern mansion on large grounds with nice lake in back. We sat on the rearview enclosed porch - nice serene views. Service was prompt and courteous, a cleancut young man. Lunch menu not extensive but perfectly AOK for all of us. She had the nut&slaw chicken salad plate, me the combo of cup of soup and 1/2 sandwich. I had the corn chowder and prime rib sandwich. A side of sweet potato mash. Fine size portions and quite yummy. The corn chowder was A+, and everything was tasty for both couples. We just had ice water and total came to $26. She brought a bit of the chick salad and sweet potato home.
Bottom line - we will definitely go back for lunch - dinner seems pricey. But lunches a re comparable to TV Country Clubs et al.
Ambience was great - very clean - and was extremely quiet.

All in all 9 out of 10 for all services & food. A very nice 'country' place for a change from the typical TV venues. We live in Gilchrist (south) so it's a short 15 min drive tops.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I have had dinner twice, lunch once, and all 3 were 100% positive experiences. We have dinner reservations for next week. It is definitely our local favorite restaurant. The dinner price are in line with Palmer. We had dinner at Palmer on Friday and my $39 veal chop marsala came with no sides because it was a house specialty! Delicious but should have had a starch and vegetable. At Rose every entrée comes with 2 sides.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:34 PM
Veteran member

We've gone once for lunch and we were both enjoyed. We are planning on dinner next week with another couple and have high expectations.

Tags
plantation, rose, mendham, nj--sammys, corners-there, cut

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.