Poor holiday planning at IHOP

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Sage
Default Poor holiday planning at IHOP

We went to IHOP for breakfast this morning, it was our first time visiting the one on 466. We arrived about 10:30. We waited approximately 3-4 minutes at the door with no one there to greet us. Waitresses went back and forth without acknowledging us at the door waiting. People came in behind us and asked if anyone had waited on us....we replied no. Finally, a server came over and seated us. She was prompt with coffee, menus and taking our order. The restaurant was full. We had our coffee and waited 10-15 min........no breakfast. We waited another 5-10 minutes.....no breakfast. The server politely came over and apologized for the wait and said our food would be out soon. We waited some more. In total my guess is that we waited anywhere from 1/2 hour to 40 minutes. I flagged down the server and asked if we could pay for our drinks and leave. She said she wouldn't be charging us for our drinks and she went to the kitchen. I assume she was trying to get our order out. She came back a couple,of minutes later with our food and apologized again. She stated she spoke to the manager and he would be coming to our table to see us and the meal was free today. We graciously accepted and ate our meal. When we were finished our server said the manager would not,have time to see us but next time we come in ask for him and he could discount our meal. She continued on saying there were 7 servers on, 3 cook, no hostess, no bus person, and no one to cash us put. The servers were responsible for everything in addition to serving food. We told her she has better let the manager know that it is unacceptable to have people wait at the door for any length of time and not be acknowledged, and they should have a hostess and someone to clear tables. She said they didn't expect so many people. Hello!! It is a holiday weekend. Why weren't they prepared?? We told her it wasn't her fault the meal took so long and left her a healthy tip. She was doing her best to do everything. I felt sorry for her and all of the other servers. Poor policies and poor management. By the way, our breakfast was good! We will give them another try but I will not expect them to reduce my meal. I think they made it right this morning with our complimentary breakfast.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Veteran member

That was very considerate of you not to blame the servers.You are to be commended for still leaving her a generous tip.Regular readers here know of the posters here who took it out on the servers and stiffed them on the tip.Again,I admire your common sense.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

We use to eat breakfast at Bob Evans all the time back in Maryland, so when we came here two years I noticed the Bob Evans on 466 was about half the size and it was always crowded. So we tried IHOP a couple of times and Perkins. The food at IHOP didn't taste good neither time, and just like your visit, it seemed they were shorthanded. I did like Perkins because they have a club sandwich, and nobody else seems to offer that. However for breakfast you still can't beat Bob Evans. I joined their website club, and now we get free meal coupons just about every week. I don't know why, because they certainly don't need the business.

/
Old 05-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Its an IHOP...........your expectations were too high.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.