Spanish Tapas at Brownwood

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
We went as a party of four on Sunday evening. No wait. The restaurant is a very nice space and ambiance. They were out of whatever the drink special was. I tried to order mussels and they were out. I ordered chicken liver mouse and got chicken livers which the waiter said was his mistake because he didn't realize there were two different chicken livers. He took it off the menu. Scallops were great. Avocado with shrimp and salmon was good, mushrooms in garlic very tasty. The paella was AWFUL...I don't think restaurants should bother. It is a dish that requires time and unless that is your specialty, you won't do it justice. They forgot to bring us plates and silverware, even after the food arrived. But most of this is just getting the kinks worked out and I think in a month, it will be a great place. As for the size of the plates, these were larger portions than served in a typical tapas place so I am not sure what the earlier poster was expecting.

Oh Thanks Bonnie for the number.
I agree. The paella was NOT good.
However, the seafood empanadas, the chicken croquettes, and chocolate creme brulée, very good. I have been there 3 times already. Love the ambiance, cheerful and friendly.
I am enjoying this place before crowds come ( snowbirds)
Like others have posted, great variety from other fare here in TV.
I hope this eatery is super successful! ( but either, stay away from the paella or they need to improve it...)
Old 08-01-2014, 07:32 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
But do they allow dogs on the patio? ...sorry I couldn't resist.
No dogs and only two pickles.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
Worst meal Every. Party of 6 took 2 hours to serve and only 4 got their meal. This was not a weekend. Waitress was clueless about everything and service was poor at best. Manager never would come over. I would think that the first week they would be heavy in management staff. I have been in the business in the past and this manager would have been fired. . Also it is very expensive. I predict that they will not be in business a year from now once the newness wears off. The people in the Village will not support this type of business. Yes I have eaten Tapas before and this is not Tapas type f service. Hope something good takes over the space.
What did you order and what did it cost?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Location: Bronx, Yonkers, Tampa, Brooklyn, Little Rock now The Villages

Paella was not very good way too much oil. Ordered seafood empanadas and got the meat instead. They were served with the proper sauce just the wrong empanada filling. Waitress said that happened a few times. Will try them again in a month.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Sage

I think they need to get organized, work on the timing, work on tweaking their ordering inventory, and they should be fine. Hopefully it will smooth sailing in a month. Hopefully they are reading these reviews.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Restaurants will certainly become crowded in a couple of months which is bad enough but when you add bad food and/or bad service this board ill really light up
Old 08-01-2014, 05:24 PM

Hi,

Have eaten at the Tapas restaurant since they "soft" opened last week.

The food was great, great deal of variety and everything is made fresh. Service was a little off, but considering it was the first day, it was fine.

You have to go and try the chicken with garlic, empanada's. Too many to mention.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:05 PM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

Just left Tapas. Service by Ryan was fantastic. Food was out of this world. Sat outside and listened to the music from the square. Loved it!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:21 PM
Platinum member

Three of us went to Tapas Friday night around 6:30. Had about a 15min wait. We each ordered 2 items and shared. We all were very happy with our selections. Two things to be aware of....1)your selections come out one or two at a time, not all served at once as we are use to and 2) at $10-$12 an item (in our case six items) you are talking $20-$25 per person + drinks, so it is not cheap....if you prefer faster and less expensive dining, this place may not be for you. We will be back!!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Usually tapas are served in a flow manner. That's just the nature of the experience. Probably count on your meal costing more than a regular sit down restaurant. You tend to order a number of selections all the way to dessert. And, of course, there is the fine Spanish wine that adds at the end of the night. But no matter what my bar bill and food bill are 50/50.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I have eaten there 3 times with 5 different people and we all were delighted with the food. The service has been very good. Dishes we enjoyed were the garlic shrimp, mussels marinara, duck mole, beef tenderloin with blue cheese, fried calamari and delicious meatballs. What did you order that was terrible?
Old 08-10-2014, 09:48 PM

We went there last night. Sat at the bar. Happy hour is all day.
The food was great. A bit different and that was the best part. Not for everyone's taste.
A bit more expensive but it was well worth it.
We will be regular customers.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:46 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I have eaten there 3 times with 5 different people and we all were delighted with the food. The service has been very good. Dishes we enjoyed were the garlic shrimp, mussels marinara, duck mole, beef tenderloin with blue cheese, fried calamari and delicious meatballs. What did you order that was terrible?
Went today, I had the ceviche and pork tenderloin; Sweetie had the 3 pepper dish and eggplant with cane sugar honey and we loved it all!

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 08-11-2014, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

So far some like the food and service and some not so much.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Location: Village of Dunedin, Keller Tx, Tulsa Ok, Chicago Il, Milwaukee Wi

Went there last week, Four ****s at least-- first time, and not familiar with Las Tapas restaurants. Mistakenly thought we were in for Mexican, but pleasantly surprised with the Spanish menu. Waitress explained to the rest of the party, the dishes are small snacks, so best to order a mix of different dishes, where parties share them.

The flavors were excellent, varied and the food being Spanish, not Mexican-- not hot. I'd recommend experiences as parties of 3 or 4--in that you might well be ordering 5-7 dishes, and there is still enough of the small servings to go around.

The menu is rather large, so it can take a little time to decide. The food is brought to you AS SOON as it is ready, so it comes in stages--as each dish is ready. We included a casserole, one of the longer preparations which took 30 minutes. Price-wise, it is a little pricey so 'd figure most would spend in the range $15-30 PP with a Sangria.

Not open yet is the brewery they are importing for their own beers. I'm not sure when that opens. I'd highly recommend the restaurant for both its uniqueness and the food. It is a terrific addition to TV's available selection.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.