Square 1, cubed

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2016, 10:25 AM
Default Square 1, cubed

Just in from airport, we stopped at Square 1 before going home. Seated outside of the kitchen, our server was delightful and eager to please.
After we both ordered the "special" of meatloaf, we waited and chatted for 25 minutes. The place was basically empty. five patrons is not a busy place but it was 8PM and we are still waiting.....
At 8:15PM, our plates are delivered. There are 2 charcoal slabs on each of our plates.
I took a bite of the meat. WHOA! someone went berserk with pepper!
String beans and roast potatoes looked great.
I tried a second tasting from the other slab of approx. 1/8th inch thick burnt to a brick meat and pushed the plate to the end of the table while extinguishing the fire in my mouth.
My husband did the same and he, too, pushed it away.
We gave it back and they brought him a Juicy Lucy and me 2 plain sliders; 1 burnt and dry, so it was kicking around for a while. I ate 1 slider (2 tbsp of meat) and onion rings and left.
In NO WAY is this the servers fault. The expediter in the kitchen was so busy flapping his gums that the food was coming out unchecked.
Nothing done. No comp. No offer of dessert.
This is not the first time I have had a negative experience there, however, it is the last time.
I will not be back.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsroni View Post
Just in from airport, we stopped at Square 1 before going home. Seated outside of the kitchen, our server was delightful and eager to please.
After we both ordered the "special" of meatloaf, we waited and chatted for 25 minutes. The place was basically empty. five patrons is not a busy place but it was 8PM and we are still waiting.....
At 8:15PM, our plates are delivered. There are 2 charcoal slabs on each of our plates.
I took a bite of the meat. WHOA! someone went berserk with pepper!
String beans and roast potatoes looked great.
I tried a second tasting from the other slab of approx. 1/8th inch thick burnt to a brick meat and pushed the plate to the end of the table while extinguishing the fire in my mouth.
My husband did the same and he, too, pushed it away.
We gave it back and they brought him a Juicy Lucy and me 2 plain sliders; 1 burnt and dry, so it was kicking around for a while. I ate 1 slider (2 tbsp of meat) and onion rings and left.
In NO WAY is this the servers fault. The expediter in the kitchen was so busy flapping his gums that the food was coming out unchecked.
Nothing done. No comp. No offer of dessert.
This is not the first time I have had a negative experience there, however, it is the last time.
I will not be back.
Can't blame you.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:57 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Last edited by Boomer; 05-30-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:40 PM
Platinum member

We go to Square 1 often and love it.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
We go to Square 1 often and love it.
Ditto. Never a problem!
Old 05-26-2016, 02:13 PM

We are regulars at Square 1; really enjoy it and never had a problem.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:22 PM
Sage

Had to go to SQR1 tonight to be sure things had not taken a turn for the worse. Thankfully they have not.

Food was prepared exactly as ordered and served timely. Our server was very nice and on top of things. A manager dropped by to see if all was well. Overall rating was an A for this evening.

SQR1 continues to be a place worth your dining experience. And on this Memorial Day weekend it was really touching to know that our server, Kat, was a 4 year Army veteran. I'm hoping she liked our nice tip.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Hadn't been back since opening week...........

Had dinner at Square One last night with friends. All American Burger was YUMMY and the onion rings the same. Our server named Curtis was EXCELLENT. We will return, for sure.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:50 AM
Veteran member

I love Square 1 burgers. However, I will say I had one bad experience there last year right after the Snow Birds left. I was very disappointed and wondered if it is always like this after the Snow Birds left. Went back again and it was good, not great but good and will definitely go back again.

One note, however, even though the server didn't cook the food, they still have a say in what they deliver to their customers. If a piece of meat looks like the sole of a shoe, they should speak up to the cook/manager and refuse to serve it. I got a plate where all the french fries were tiny little hard sticks and burnt (the bottom of the bag), the server could have said something about that, you can't tell me they can't see what they are serving to their customers. And, no I didn't say anything, she/he should know by looking at that plate if they really cared.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:16 PM

I feel that the servers are sadly undertrained. I have eaten there 5 times and the last was a disaster.
The wait staff does not receive enough by way of how food should LOOK. At 21, its amazing that they show up. Unfortunately, there was so much goofing around in the kitchen that the food came unchecked. It was up to the chef and his/her staff to maintain a prideful environment. The manager actually put our food in front of us. Our server was at another table. When she took it away she agreed that it was burnt. Not one person disagreed.
We all have off days. I was disappointed and continue to . Its ok. Just be aware.
I certainly hope that your burger will be splendid in every way . They should have taken care of the customer.
Its good to know that our experience was likely a quirk.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:53 PM
Platinum member

We need a Burger 21 to come to The Villages. The one in Ocala has a full bar. (Just what the Villagers want.) Wonderful Burgers and Shakes.

Skip
Old 06-04-2016, 10:23 AM
Platinum member

The more upscale Square 1 has a full bar also, and you don't have to go to Ocala.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:36 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

Not a big fan of square 1 but never got what I call "bad" food there. OP, perhaps the regular cook was off that day or left early for some reason. Many servers in The Villages are very good and a few could definitely use more training or attitude adjustment. It is difficult to get "good" staff for what they earn. It's a fact, many seniors tip poorly.

Tags
meat, place, plates, burnt, pushed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.