Square One Burgers

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
I think you've got that a bit backwards. You say that this is typical of the way our brilliant government works and it has something to do with our "New World Order", when in fact our government (Federal, State, or Local) did absolutely nothing in this case. What probably happened is that some lawyer at Square One corporate headquarters decided that their corporate exposure to lawsuits was too great unless a law was passed allowing it. Isn't this post supposed to be about a hamburger restaurant?
Barry, I have talked to corporate and they were told to stop the doggie dining by Wildwood until Wildwood established a permit structure. Square1 lawyers had already researched and found that there were no rules or laws prohibiting the doggie dining and that, as in their other locations, they were good to go in accordance with Florida law.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
There was Doggie Dining at the new location for a few weeks until management determined that Wildwood needed to write a town regulation approving or disapproving dogs dining on outdoor patios.

Typical of the way our brilliant government works: Such a activity is legal in Florida provided that the local government does not have a law against it. Even though Wildwood DID NOT have a law against it, since they did not have one FOR , the doggie dining was illegal.

REALLY ASS BACKWARDS! I guess in our New World Order, everything is illegal unless a law is written allowing it. Now I am really worried. I just checked and there is no law specifically allowing breathing in a public place!
And people wonder why we have no decent restaurants here, just the usual fast food swill. Apparently TV is the only location in the chain that has issues with this, what does that say?

IMO, anyone even entertaining the idea of opening a business here should think long and hard.

As long as I'm on a rant let throw in that I hate Brownwood, it looks like the inside of a cheap steakhouse,(but then again I would probably hate the first Brownwood too-LOL).

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatherer47 View Post
I have noticed several restaurants that don't carry relish.I do use it on my burger.And Bonny,I put mayo on my peanut butter sandwich.
Oh no, not mayo !! Marshmallow fluff with peanut butter. LOL
Old 06-19-2014, 09:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Well, it's too hot for dogs to be outside anyway right now, so maybe by the time it cools down a bit, Wildwood will have decided to pass the bill. In the meantime, we could write to them about what the law says and encourage it.

Maybe someone could pass along the Florida law laid out by Indy.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Barry, I have talked to corporate and they were told to stop the doggie dining by Wildwood until Wildwood established a permit structure. Square1 lawyers had already researched and found that there were no rules or laws prohibiting the doggie dining and that, as in their other locations, they were good to go in accordance with Florida law.
Quote:
I am confident that your information is flawed and that your source is mistaken. I contacted the Director of Communication and Special Projects regarding this question and I have attached his reply below:

[B][I]Hi Steven,

Thank you for writing.

I did extensive research into the dog permit issue prior to opening to be sure we would be in compliance with any local ordinances. After going through the state of Florida, Sumter County, and the City of Wildwood ordinances, and also having phone conversations with representatives of each (some more than once) the final determination was that there isn't any official certificate that can be obtained.

The state of Florida leaves it to each local government to decide whether they will require any kind of permit. Neither the City of Wildwood or Sumter County require one.

There is a requirement to post the health, safety, and general welfare rules so patrons can read them (I made a large 11"x17" sign that should be on display on the patio), but that is the only requirement.

I'm including a link to the Sumter County Code of Ordinances that directly addresses the issue of dogs in public food establishments. There is a lot of information in there, but what we discovered in all of my conversations with the city and the county is that at the very end of the ordinance (section d) the requirements for a permit expired in July of 2009.

http://library.municode.com/HTML/120...DOWIOUPOPUFOES

I appreciate your interest in standing up for the dogs, we think it's a great thing for people to be able to bring them out with them—now if I could only bring my cats . . . !

Have a good afternoon and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Jarrod

Jarrod Dyer
Director of Communication
and Special Projects
Square 1 Burgers & Bar

With the recent developments it seems like it was Mr Dyers information that was flawed and his source mistaken.......
Old 06-20-2014, 05:15 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Sorry Steve, I stand corrected.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
With the recent developments it seems like it was Mr Dyers information that was flawed and his source mistaken.......
Sounds to me like the Wildwood city council have enough sense to leave the dog at home when dining out. I love dogs, but I don't see any reason to force them on other people at restaurants, the squares, or neighborhood parties. Some people just don't like them, or are allergic, or are afraid of them. Leave them at home. They are way too low on the food chain to be pampered at public gatherings.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
Sorry Steve, I stand corrected.
Well, Barry, as often as I am wrong, it also appears that somebody at Square1, although they did their due diligence, was wrong not to predict the backward logic of the town of Wildwood.

Who would have thought that in absence of a "local permit requirement", it would be against the law to do something that has been deemed legal on a statewide basis.

After all, the state law did not demand that local authorities have a permit requirement, only that by having one the dogs could be banned if they desired. Who knows? I don't even have a dog, but I like red meat, so all is good.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:44 PM

I agree with you. My husband and I have eaten there often and think it is great.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Sounds to me like the Wildwood city council have enough sense to leave the dog at home when dining out. I love dogs, but I don't see any reason to force them on other people at restaurants, the squares, or neighborhood parties. Some people just don't like them, or are allergic, or are afraid of them. Leave them at home. They are way too low on the food chain to be pampered at public gatherings.
Actually, the Wildwood Council APPROVED the request.

See villages news .com for details.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:34 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Actually, the Wildwood Council APPROVED the request.

See villages news .com for details.

Yeahhh!!! I'm happy about this. My pup is too hyper to come to a restaurant with us, but this is great for all those that can take their pups along. I'm also happy because this is something that Square 1 likes to do for their patrons...they followed the correct path to get this approved and succeeded.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:10 AM

Count me out. Not a fan of dogs where I eat.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:17 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOB View Post
Count me out. Not a fan of dogs where I eat.
No dogs allowed inside.

Give it a try. The food is great. The atmosphere and decorating is fantastic! The pups can't affect you if you're indoors.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Just think, you can bring your pooch, have a really good meal, and top it off with a cigarette. How much better can it get (well maybe not for all).
Old 06-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Veteran member

Dogs and cigarettes. That really makes me want to eat there. I think Panera's company policy is MUCH WISER than Square 1. At least, you'll won't have to put up with me.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.