Sweet Tomatoes Restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Not a restaurant for those of us trying to maintain a low carb diet either. Like I said, unless you want to stick with lettuce, cucumbers, broccoli and a few other vegetables, you're pretty much stuck with bread, pasta and potatoes.
That's a good point, there were loads of starches. I think the starches might be the main attraction. There were baked potatoes, potato salad with mayonnaise, bread, muffins, rice and pasta with mayonnaise etc. It's a starch lover's dream. I wouldn't mind so much if they used whole grain, but they don't. Even then I wouldn't eat that much of it, maybe one serving.

The first dish I filled up with lettuce, beans, peas, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, beats, etc. and I really enjoyed it. Where I got into trouble was trying out other items like soups. Putting health concerns aside, I just couldn't stand the high sodium taste. The first few mouthfuls
were tasty, but by the time I got halfway finished I felt like I had a mouthful of salt. When I make soups at home I just salt very lightly or sometimes not at all.

My friend told me she thought the soups were made from scratch by the restaurant. If that's the case, why were they as salty as the standard restaurant soups that come out of a can? I never eat restaurant soups but I tried it this time because she told me how great it was. Ugh!
Old 05-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Sage

Some restaurants, like Golden Corral, add extra items after 4:00 p.m. for the more expensive dinner. Eight dollars versus $11.99 or $11.50 They add steak and crab legs etc. We went to Sweet Tomatoes in the afternoon for $7.99. That might explain the difference.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
...Where I got into trouble was trying out other items like soups. Putting health concerns aside, I just couldn't stand the high sodium taste...
Mark your calendar, VPL...we agree on something!

I cut down on my salt intake a very long time ago, and I just can't eat most Sweet Tomatoes soups.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:32 PM
Sage

So, why can't one just fill up on salad and not eat the other things? You can have more than one trip to the salad bar, can't you? That way, you don't have to eat their starchy carbs, the salty soup, and sugary desserts.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
So, why can't one just fill up on salad and not eat the other things? You can have more than one trip to the salad bar, can't you? That way, you don't have to eat their starchy carbs, the salty soup, and sugary desserts.
Last time I was there you were limited to one trip to the salad bar and I was behind many people loading up 2 plates for their one trip thru the bar.
You enter the salad bar and fill you're plate then come to the cashier to pay. Everything after that is all you want but not the salad bar.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
...You enter the salad bar and fill you're plate then come to the cashier to pay. Everything after that is all you want but not the salad bar.
I'm not so sure about that. If so, I've broken the rule a few times and never been called on it.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I'm not so sure about that. If so, I've broken the rule a few times and never been called on it.
Maybe I should give it a try Polar Bear the next time I'm there.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:59 PM
Sage

I was so curious about this, I decided to call...

Yes...everything is all-you-can-eat at Sweet Tomatoes, including the salad bar before the cash registers.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Good advice, Carla. Next time, if there is a next time, I'll be ready for it. Now I know what to concentrate on and what to avoid.

I say "if there is a next time" because my friend likes red meat. She may not want to go there again; it'll be interesting to see what happens.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Last time I was there you were limited to one trip to the salad bar and I was behind many people loading up 2 plates for their one trip thru the bar.
You enter the salad bar and fill you're plate then come to the cashier to pay. Everything after that is all you want but not the salad bar.
Thanks for the information, I was wondering if two plates were allowed at the salad bar. I filled up one plate about as high as I could. Two plates would be less limiting and easier.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I was so curious about this, I decided to call...

Yes...everything is all-you-can-eat at Sweet Tomatoes, including the salad bar before the cash registers.
Good to know! In that case, I'll start with one dish and then go back for more.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
That's certainly an option, but number one, a lot of the stuff on the salad bar is things like potato salads and pasta salads. Secondly, I'm not interested in paying $15.00 plus tip to eat lettuce, cucumbers and broccoli.

Like I said, the food there is good, it's just not what I'm interested in eating. They advertise themselves as a sort of health food place and as far as I can see, there is very little healthy food there.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.