Sage

2 4 1 but not a low price like City Fire
Old 09-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Good Explanation of Tapas

What Are Tapas in Spanish Cuisine?
Old 09-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Sage

since i lived in madrid for four years, i was really looking forward to the tortilla espanola. in spain it is a large sort of potato, eggs and onion pie which is sliced for individual tapas...served cold with bread usually...but the authentic spanish chef at our restaurant, probably for reasons of freshness, served a small round hot egg cake which falls apart at the fork, very unlike the hearty thick spanish ones i have enjoyed...it was a bit disappointing. the empanadas, however, were fabulous!! (meat ones)
my usual habit is to get a nice meal for about $12 and take half of it home....this is not that kind of place

Last edited by chachacha; 09-09-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:38 PM

in spain, one selects small pieces of food, one per saucer, and pays by the number of plates on the table. portions are very small. it's usually self serve, and very inexpensive.
$10 per tapas ain't gonna sell in this town.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Sage

When the rent is $35 a sq ft, I guess they have to charge that.

A flat bread in city fire is like $9, same at World of Beer.

I was told that the chef there Antonio was working in the white house around the Regan era.

The man can cook as I already stated IMO
Old 09-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Villagers want Tapas Quality food and only pay Buffet prices
Old 09-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

What struck me first entering Las Tapas was that it did not look like a typical Spanish restaurant. The decor was very nice and the color scheme was correct, but I was a little apprehensive. That disappeared quickly as the food and service overcame any concern. The fun thing about tapas is the flow of the dining experience and it was spot on. One of the selections was a bit small but very authentic and good. The other four selections were actually generous. And a nice bottle of a Rioja region wine added to the enjoyment of the evening. Definitely a plus to The Villages restaurant scene.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Veteran member

We went for dinner last night and had a wonderful experience except.....seated behind us were two of the nastiest old birds I've been around. They berated the server and manager about portion sizes and service times. It was a simply sad. On the good note, cold beer and good food.

Dr. Seuss
Old 09-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Platinum member

We were there with friends last night too. The place was packed. Fortunately everyone around us seemed to be enjoying their meal as did we.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:19 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdlfan View Post
We went for dinner last night and had a wonderful experience except.....seated behind us were two of the nastiest old birds I've been around. They berated the server and manager about portion sizes and service times. It was a simply sad. On the good note, cold beer and good food.

And people wonder why restaurants are reluctant to locate here. Its rather surprising that employers can find any waitstaff willing to take this abuse.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
And people wonder why restaurants are reluctant to locate here. Its rather surprising that employers can find any waitstaff willing to take this abuse.

I am not aware of restaurants being "reluctant" to locate here. If you refer to comments on here about specific chains or restaurants that folks would like to see, that is pretty normal. In every city I have lived in, I have heard such comments.

There are, just within the three town squares, about or close to 40 eating establishments and who knows how many just outside the gates.

Most of the closings here are a result of corporations or mismanagement, and there will always be closings for some reason or another. Always somebody waiting in the wings.

These places help a lot of folks earn a living in the area, and actually travel here from Ocala and beyond.

I think if you talk to servers, there are bad attitude customers everywhere.

No, I must disagree 100% but I suppose it is up to perception. This is a vibrant community with lots of willing consumers, and any restaurant who can afford it, or has expansion plans would love to be here.

Actually, I think it has been quite impressive the retail growth here while many other communities suffered.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:33 AM
Gold member
Default They said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Never go to a restaurant when hungry? You are kidding right?
"Never go for tapas", Not "a restaurant"....the difference is that tapas are snacks to eat when you go out mainly for some drinks...either before or after a meal at a regular restaurant...this is common in Spain...the main meal often is eaten at 9pm or later and folks stay out till the wee hours...to keep the alcohol from becoming to effective they eat snacks(i.e.: tapas).

You have been informed....
Old 09-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We went Sunday night and the food was excellent but the service a little shaky. We sat there for 10 minutes and finally had to ask for someone to come take our drink order. After we finally got a waiter it went smooth. We would certainly go again.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Veteran member

Tapas are supposed to be small! the price seems about right $6 to $12 each. did the $46 you paid include tax?
Old 09-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
We went Sunday night and the food was excellent but the service a little shaky. We sat there for 10 minutes and finally had to ask for someone to come take our drink order. After we finally got a waiter it went smooth. We would certainly go again.
A drink order not being taken for 10 minutes is shaky service? lots of major cities would call that to be rushed service!

Glad you enjoyed the outcome, though.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.