Tipping?

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2016, 05:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
You hit the nail on the head with that one. I am amazed with the number of CHEAP people I have seen in The Villages.
Yep.

Had a neighbor that bragged about her server forgetting her bill in a large group, so she was able to eat for free (no tip either)!

Bragging about it for cripes sake.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:46 AM
Sage

I seen person leave 37 cents at a bar for 2 drinks. My wife embarrassed him so much that one of his buds dropped $2.00 on the bar as a tip.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
I seen person leave 37 cents at a bar for 2 drinks. My wife embarrassed him so much that one of his buds dropped $2.00 on the bar as a tip.
Kudos to your wife for having the integrity to speak up.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44125 View Post
Currently it appears that the recommended tip for good service at a sit down restaurant is 20%. I see more and more restaurants like Chili's, etc. are going to a tablet ordering system...you place your order at your table on a tablet that is provided. The server then brings your order to you. After your meal, you see your check on this same tablet, self swipe your credit card and your done.

My question is....is the same 20% tip considered acceptable / recommended?

Just curious....
The tabletop tablet as you called it at Chili's and Olive Garden does not take your order. The server takes your order originally just like normal. If you want to reorder a drink or need your server you can push the button. But the main reason those devices are there is so you can pay your bill via secure credit card that you do not have to give your credit card to a server to handle. I never use the tablet for anything more than paying my bill. I'm very grateful for any restaurant that has the devices since I prefer not to give my credit card to anybody.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I usually tip 500% of my bill. But, to the OP's point. This new ordering/paying system is just the result of increased costs foisted upon small business via ACA and minimum wage laws. It is the march towards employee reduction. Robotics did it to manufacturing (pushed forward by union wage/benefits demands). Now, given that these "improvements" reduce employee count, the remaining few employees have a larger customer base. So, assuming the same employee effort, they should get the same overall earnings. Thus, as more of the service is automated, it could be argued that the per meal tip should go down. Unless, of course, one thinks that the consumer should not share in the benefits of the restaurants' capital improvements. Are the tippers still going to tip when the restaurant is fully robot operated? Robots have to make a living wage, too.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:12 AM

I hate percentage tipping. leave what you feel the server has earned in providing service.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Default Really?...or arithmetic challenged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
I usually tip 500% of my bill. But, to the OP's point. This new ordering/paying system is just the result of increased costs foisted upon small business via ACA and minimum wage laws. It is the march towards employee reduction. Robotics did it to manufacturing (pushed forward by union wage/benefits demands). Now, given that these "improvements" reduce employee count, the remaining few employees have a larger customer base. So, assuming the same employee effort, they should get the same overall earnings. Thus, as more of the service is automated, it could be argued that the per meal tip should go down. Unless, of course, one thinks that the consumer should not share in the benefits of the restaurants' capital improvements. Are the tippers still going to tip when the restaurant is fully robot operated? Robots have to make a living wage, too.
So if you and your spouse eat out and the bill is $50, your tip is $250?

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle
Old 04-29-2016, 08:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Pirate View Post
So if you and your spouse eat out and the bill is $50, your tip is $250?
I usually only have a glass of water.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

20% is the starting place for TIPS. I'm surprised no one pointed out TIPS stands for To Insure Prompt Service. The people serving you are not there because it's a game. They have Mortgages, Insurance, Car Payments, Etc just like everyone else. I think your conscience should be your guide. If you don't have enough money to tip properly stay home. It may help some of those who have Alligator Arms to imagine the person serving them was their relative. It was sad when a young neighbor told us about the shabby tips he received when working at Red Lobster.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:36 AM
Veteran member

Am I the only one having a hard time with some of these threads? If tipping is an act of generosity for good service, given without strings how did it ever become something "expected" or worse"demanded". How can people call others cheap or stiffing others for not putting out like they do for reasons they may or may not understand. When did this system change into something other than what it originally was? It didn't change in Europe, at least in parts I've travelled to where you put down a single Euro as a tip and the staff shakes your Hank thankfully. When did it change here into a system to bolster up the salary of underpaid staff and if you didn't or perhaps came from Europe like my girlfriend and didn't understand, were called cheap?

A tip was always a tip for good service....not something automatically expected....and btw....we are generous people with good hearts, just having a problem with this thread.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:47 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Yep.

Had a neighbor that bragged about her server forgetting her bill in a large group, so she was able to eat for free (no tip either)!

Bragging about it for cripes sake.

With just a sentence or two, that woman spoke volumes about who she really is. I bet many of those who heard her wrote her off as someone they definitely did not want to know better.

Last edited by Boomer; 05-02-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
Am I the only one having a hard time with some of these threads? If tipping is an act of generosity for good service, given without strings how did it ever become something "expected" or worse"demanded". How can people call others cheap or stiffing others for not putting out like they do for reasons they may or may not understand. When did this system change into something other than what it originally was? It didn't change in Europe, at least in parts I've travelled to where you put down a single Euro as a tip and the staff shakes your Hank thankfully. When did it change here into a system to bolster up the salary of underpaid staff and if you didn't or perhaps came from Europe like my girlfriend and didn't understand, were called cheap?

A tip was always a tip for good service....not something automatically expected....and btw....we are generous people with good hearts, just having a problem with this thread.
Very good point. Many different nationalities are totally unaware of the concept of leaving a gratuity. If the situation presents itself I think it's good to school them because they are here not there. It doesn't have to be a showdown just an explanation. These people are not cheap they just don't know our customs. It changed when employers realized they could pay less and lower their payroll and keep a little more. Owning a business in the United States is not easy, everyone has their hand in your pocket. Small business owners are amazing people.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post

It's called group shaming. Very PC right now. Mostly facebook and twitter types enjoy doing it. Also, it gives them a chance to brag about their "generosity". I have yet to brag about a $500 tip I gave to this masseuse in Thailand.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

It used to be 10%, then 15%, now 20%?! If it's based on the bill, why does the rate keep going up? If someone has steak and lobster, why should they pay more than the person who had a hamburger and fries? They both got the same service and likely the same effort from the waitress.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerNut View Post
The tabletop tablet as you called it at Chili's and Olive Garden does not take your order. The server takes your order originally just like normal. If you want to reorder a drink or need your server you can push the button. But the main reason those devices are there is so you can pay your bill via secure credit card that you do not have to give your credit card to a server to handle. I never use the tablet for anything more than paying my bill. I'm very grateful for any restaurant that has the devices since I prefer not to give my credit card to anybody.
And you think the WiFi at Chilli's is secure? Trust me, if someone wants it they are going to get it.
Closed Thread

Tags
tablet, 20%, order, recommended, tip, check, server, meal, brings, swipe, considered, acceptable, curious, question, provided, credit, card, appears, restaurants, good, service, restaurant, sit, chilis, place

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.