TOOJAYS Brownwood & Lake Sumter

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2016, 01:11 PM
Default TOOJAYS Brownwood & Lake Sumter

Thought Brownwood might finally have its act together. It doesn't. Wife pulled a long glob of fried onion out of her grits this morning. Waitress said , what's that ? Sent them back. Bit into a piece of her omelet & said " Ugh ". Bacon pieces were burnt black as coal. Sent it back. I cut into my lightly poached runny eggs on top of my corned beef hash. Hard as rocks. Didn't send it back. Offered to pay for the coffee ( which was refused ) and left. Nice waitress though.

Later at 11 AM at Sumter Landing after going to the bank decided to give TOOJAYS another try. Always liked this location. The place was 4/5ths empty. Three people standing at the hostess station in front of us with no hostess in sight. Waited eight minutes and still no hostess to seat anyone. I am handicapped and can not stand in one place very long. We left without eating.

TOOJAY'S must be practicing for when the snow birds come back. Seriously though, where was the management ? How can they allow this nonsense to occur ? Brownwood has been bad from the beginning, but Lake Sumter, come on !
Old 09-27-2016, 01:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
Thought Brownwood might finally have its act together. It doesn't. Wife pulled a long glob of fried onion out of her grits this morning. Waitress said , what's that ? Sent them back. Bit into a piece of her omelet & said " Ugh ". Bacon pieces were burnt black as coal. Sent it back. I cut into my lightly poached runny eggs on top of my corned beef hash. Hard as rocks. Didn't send it back. Offered to pay for the coffee ( which was refused ) and left. Nice waitress though.

Later at 11 AM at Sumter Landing after going to the bank decided to give TOOJAYS another try. Always liked this location. The place was 4/5ths empty. Three people standing at the hostess station in front of us with no hostess in sight. Waited eight minutes and still no hostess to seat anyone. I am handicapped and can not stand in one place very long. We left without eating.

TOOJAY'S must be practicing for when the snow birds come back. Seriously though, where was the management ? How can they allow this nonsense to occur ? Brownwood has been bad from the beginning, but Lake Sumter, come on !

We have always had a good experience at their LSL location, SS not so much. Staying away from Brownwood until we hear good things. So far, nothing good.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:06 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=rivaridger1;1296435] Thought Brownwood might finally have its act together. It doesn't. Wife pulled a long glob of fried onion out of her grits this morning. Waitress said , what's that ? Sent them back. Bit into a piece of her omelet & said " Ugh ". Bacon pieces were burnt black as coal. Sent it back. I cut into my lightly poached runny eggs on top of my corned beef hash. Hard as rocks. Didn't send it back. Offered to pay for the coffee ( which was refused ) and left. Nice waitress though.

TOOJAY'S must be practicing for when the snow birds

We understand, we found TooJays to be losing their quality and management. It used to be great, Sumter and Brownwood. We had a frank talk with manager, we could plainly see that the Manager did not seem to care. So, we do not go there anymore, there are a lot of good restaurants. Thai, Ruby Tuesday, Perkins, Sonny's, The Waterfront Hotel, Cane Garden, the Arnold Palmer salmon-is awesome, Evans Prairie is good too. So best to change after three trials in three weeks. Sorry it has to be.

bbbbbb
Old 09-27-2016, 04:38 PM
Email Reported As Spam

It would appear that the restaurants here recognized they have a captive audience especially in prime season when all restaurants are overwhelmed. I could be wrong
Old 09-27-2016, 04:46 PM
Sage

I have to say I just had breakfast yesterday morning at 2 Jays in Brownwood while having my golf cart serviced and it was excellent, both for wife and I. It is a little more expensive for breakfast than we usually pay but worth it.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:03 PM

Our experiences at Brownwood have been very SLOW service when there are very few patrons present. I will say that once they forgot my toast, and when it finally arrived, the underneath side of both slices was BLACK, but overall their food is good.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:44 PM
Gold member

last time we ate there I had a upset stomach about an hour after we left.

Food didn't last long......if you get my drift.

this was at spanish springs and I had the roast beef.

can't remember what hubby had but he was fine. I won't be doing that again....
Old 09-27-2016, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

On Wednesday we picked up the Cabbage Beef Soup that comes with two pieces of their delicious rye bread and took it home to enjoy the hearty, beefy, sweet tomato-y yumminess.

I love their breakfasts and we often will have breakfast for dinner with their nice bagels.

If an onion wandered into my grits, I would like that better than knowing a place had been shut down for bugs.

I am an unabashed Toojay's fan, and I love Bob Evans too, just for comfort dinners, not a hip hooray gourmet treat.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:28 PM
Cool

Quote:
Thought Brownwood might finally have its act together. It doesn't. Wife pulled a long glob of fried onion out of her grits this morning. Waitress said , what's that ? Sent them back. Bit into a piece of her omelet & said " Ugh ". Bacon pieces were burnt black as coal. Sent it back. I cut into my lightly poached runny eggs on top of my corned beef hash. Hard as rocks. Didn't send it back. .

Later at 11 AM at Sumter Landing after going to the bank decided to give TOOJAYS another try. Waited eight minutes and still no hostess to seat anyone. I am handicapped and can not stand in one place very long. We left without eating.

They will never know if no one speaks up. ASK for the manager. Demand an explanation and if you are not satisfied, threaten with bad reviews on TOTV/yelp. Though these are two unacceptable situations, the patron is also partly to blame if no management is notified.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicoon View Post
They will never know if no one speaks up. ASK for the manager. Demand an explanation and if you are not satisfied, threaten with bad reviews on TOTV/yelp. Though these are two unacceptable situations, the patron is also partly to blame if no management is notified.
Do you really think this matters to any restaurant manager in TV with 110,000+ residents getting ready to be here? The miniscule % of TV residents that read TOTV (and believe everything they read) is not going to affect their bottom line. Just accept the fact that it sucked for you and your wife and move on to another place; I did that over a year ago with Chili's on 27/441 when I could not get waited on after being seated; haven't been back.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

So after you had a sh*^*y breakfast at Too Jays you decided to give Too Jays a try for lunch? Um, help me out here, but, maybe you should re-think your strategy?

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2016, 04:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I have always found two Jay's to be OK food And a little overpriced and sometimes the waitstaff could care less. I am a fan of their deli take out and they're pink and white cookies in October. I just find it's easier to eat breakfast at home so my eggs are always done perfectly. I miss coney restaurants that are up north, we could go and get a great breakfast For under $5.00 and it was always cooked The way you liked it.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
So after you had a sh*^*y breakfast at Too Jays you decided to give Too Jays a try for lunch? Um, help me out here, but, maybe you should re-think your strategy?

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
I have always been of the mind to always give someone the benefit of the doubt and believe in second chances.
Obviously you do not. Few, if any, get a third chance.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
Quote:
I have always been of the mind to always give someone the benefit of the doubt and believe in second chances.
Obviously you do not.
Few, if any, get a third chance.
Excellent answer and I too share your common-sense and munificent philosophy.

Especially given that they are separate locations and very often the problems with a particular restaurant, is more a lack of good management at that particular establishment...than problems with the larger corporate entity.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:28 PM

For me the service has always been slow, I don't like to spend that much time at a meal waiting for the meal or the check. The food has been a roller coaster ride, sometimes good, sometimes not very good. Simple solution, I don't go to TooJays and as a result won't be disappointed.

Tags
back, toojays, hostess, brownwood, sumter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.