Truth in Menu Items

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2015, 05:16 AM
Sage
Default Truth in Menu Items

Yesterday I saw and ad for Shepard's Pie---made with beef-if its made with beef-it should be called Rancher's Pie

also-Pork Osso Buco--real Osso Buco is made with veal shank & the marrow is the best part
Old 04-22-2015, 05:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Good morning Jerry Seinfeld wanna be!! Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway? Have a great day.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Yesterday I saw and ad for Shepard's Pie---made with beef-if its made with beef-it should be called Rancher's Pie

also-Pork Osso Buco--real Osso Buco is made with veal shank & the marrow is the best part
Authentic Shepherds Pie is made with minced lamb, onion and seasonings, topped with mash potatoes. No vegetables, nothing other than lamb and onion.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-22-2015, 07:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

I'll try my best Jerry Seinfeld...

"Why do they call it a HAMburger? There's no ham in there."

Please folks - this is no license to begin discussion of hot dogs or sausage...my breakfast just went down.

And lastly:

Why do they call it a "building"? It looks like they're finished. Why isn't it a "built"?
Old 04-22-2015, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post

Me to my children. Just eat it and don't give me any lip. I made it. It's good. We don't discuss food at this table. It isn't polite and it can make someone else not like it when we say that tapioca pudding has snakes eyeballs in it.

JUST EAT.

Me silently to other people's children when they say...What's in this?

I'd like to smack you.

My answer to OP.

I don't know why they didn't call it by it's right name. Go someplace else.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:58 AM
Eternal Member

Just take a look at the ads in The Daily Sun for Bonifay, Orange Blossom, and Evans Prarie today. It has photographs of wonderful looking meals but the disclaimer at the bottom of the page says the pictures are for display purposes only and the actual meal may differ in appearance.

At one restaurant ( not in The Villages), my wife had French Onion Soup that was made with CHICKEN broth instead of beef.

Can't have perfection all the time.

Best in The Villages, though, is Lopez Legacy Club. Nancy sure knows her way around that kitchen!
Old 04-22-2015, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Me to my children. Just eat it and don't give me any lip. I made it. It's good. We don't discuss food at this table. It isn't polite and it can make someone else not like it when we say that tapioca pudding has snakes eyeballs in it.

JUST EAT.

I'd like to smack you.

My answer to OP.

BWAHAHAHA! I'm never eating tapioca pudding again

I can hardly say any of that to our kids as they watch their father eat cold ravioli out of a can.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

JUST EAT.

I'd like to smack you.

My answer to OP.

My mom used to call tapioca pudding she made "Fish eyes and glue". We still ate it.

Then again she called the liver she made "Liver". It was horrible and barely went down. But, like GG said, my Mom was the Captain of the Kitchen - and we ate it, in lieu of the smack. Those were the good old days - but I have never had liver since then, Bless Her heart...
Old 04-22-2015, 08:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,042 Times in 369 Posts

So, there's a chance my chocolate covered ants and grasshoppers aren't what I thought they were? ��
Old 04-22-2015, 10:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
So, there's a chance my chocolate covered ants and grasshoppers aren't what I thought they were? ��
Be careful if they look a little bit like roa... er, palmetto bugs.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
My mom used to call tapioca pudding she made "Fish eyes and glue". We still ate it.

Then again she called the liver she made "Liver". It was horrible and barely went down. But, like GG said, my Mom was the Captain of the Kitchen - and we ate it, in lieu of the smack. Those were the good old days - but I have never had liver since then, Bless Her heart...
I was lucky; I liked liver. However, after several humiliating episodes over lima beans (dog didn't like them under the table; napkins full of them thrown out the bedroom window; sitting at the table for hours gagging over them...) I never made our kids eat anything they didn't want to. They are now more adventurous eaters than I am. The hottest hot sauce David can find, and Snails... really, Josh?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.