Vent about receptionist at Mallory

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2017, 04:10 PM
Platinum member
Default Vent about receptionist at Mallory

Today twelve members of my tennis group had our monthly luncheon at Mallory. We had a reservation for 11:00 and were the first to arrive. Because the person making the reservation had asked for an indoor table, they refused to change us to the outdoors even though there was no one there. The reason for the refusal was that they had set the table indoors. Each of us complained to no avail. The person making the reservation had tried to call earlier to change the reservation to outside but they did not answer the phone. The food and table service was excellent but I believe the woman at the podium needs to be schooled in customer service. We should have told her to cancel the reservation and then asked for outdoor seating. And of course it was a Chamber of Commerce beautiful day. Ugh!
Old 01-18-2017, 05:22 PM
Veteran member

Sorry but you know if that's the worst thing that happend to you today you had a pretty good day.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusX1 View Post
Sorry but you know if that's the worst thing that happend to you today you had a pretty good day.
I agree.....the food and service was good so not being outside is the "only" complaint, Oh.my!!! I suspect it was a policy issue. Did you try to speak with management??
Old 01-18-2017, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have known the OP for nearly ten years now and this is the first complaint I have ever heard from her about anything.

I think it is an issue. I think that young woman needs to have an attitude adjustment.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

It could have been a staffing problem.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

One of my all time pet peeves about restaurants is the person at the entrance with a clipboard who immediately wants to "show you to your table". Why can't I sit where ever I want, and let the staff adjust? If some restaurants can do it, why can't others, especially when the restaurant is obviously not busy. Just one reason why I don't go to restaurants very often.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
One of my all time pet peeves about restaurants is the person at the entrance with a clipboard who immediately wants to "show you to your table". Why can't I sit where ever I want, and let the staff adjust? If some restaurants can do it, why can't others, especially when the restaurant is obviously not busy. Just one reason why I don't go to restaurants very often.
The main reason for the hostess to seat you is so that the servers that are on duty are given their fair share of tables. Which in my opinion is the right thing to do and fair to each server.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
The main reason for the hostess to seat you is so that the servers that are on duty are given their fair share of tables. Which in my opinion is the right thing to do and fair to each server.
I agree, and I wonder if changing this group to outside would have caused a waitstaff problem. Of course, they could have simply explained that to the group instead of creating hard feelings...
Old 01-19-2017, 05:50 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Let's not forget that this is prime season and restaurants get very crowded. This employee was given instruction in anticipation of what was to occur during the lunch period. She had to consider how many tables of four, two , eight...... Factor in how many diners linger after eating and it gets more complicated. Essentially the OP had only to consider her group but the employee every group, couple ...

Frankly I prefer inside because too often outside dining means flys to me
Old 01-19-2017, 06:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Let's not forget that this is prime season and restaurants get very crowded. This employee was given instruction in anticipation of what was to occur during the lunch period. She had to consider how many tables of four, two , eight...... Factor in how many diners linger after eating and it gets more complicated. Essentially the OP had only to consider her group but the employee every group, couple ...

Frankly I prefer inside because too often outside dining means flys to me

what part of being the customer and the restaurant being the service provider am I failing to understand!!
first of all OP said Mallory was not busy...if they had told the group we are sorry but the outdoor area has been booked in 30 minutes I could see that for an excuse....when we dine out I specifically ask for outdoor area if available and if indoor I would like a booth....if I was ever told ....sorry but the next server up is not assigned to there, I would say have a nice day and leave
Old 01-19-2017, 03:35 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
what part of being the customer and the restaurant being the service provider am I failing to understand!!
first of all OP said Mallory was not busy...if they had told the group we are sorry but the outdoor area has been booked in 30 minutes I could see that for an excuse....when we dine out I specifically ask for outdoor area if available and if indoor I would like a booth....if I was ever told ....sorry but the next server up is not assigned to there, I would say have a nice day and leave
ureout: I believe we have a philosophical difference . First the OP was not privy to the restaurant's bookings, etc. , nor were you. The restaurant may not have been busy at that moment in time but perhaps a few minutes later it was booming with customers. but more to the point........

I do understand that the customer is always right, however, with this caveat. Too often at restaurant, on cruises, hotels hospitals, etc. I have noted customers who have been rude, unnecessarily demanding and very dismissive of employees.

As one poster's edit signature states "it don't cost nuttin to be nice"

I've gone out of my way to approach employees who have handled demanding diva's with grace, style and a smile including on cruise lines, in hospitals, in stores and at restaurants and told them how impress I was at the intelligent manner they handled the matter.

One thing further, at the age of most villagers we ought to be thankful that we can still walk into a restaurant. It was a non-event

Personal Best Regards:
Old 01-19-2017, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
but you may have had a wait and not realized why. For instance, there are many times people complain that there are empty tables but can't be seated. They usually don't say "We don't have a server for that area," or "That area already has enough customers for the server to handle." They just tell you there will be a wait, or that you can't be seated there.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
ureout: I believe we have a philosophical difference . First the OP was not privy to the restaurant's bookings, etc. , nor were you. The restaurant may not have been busy at that moment in time but perhaps a few minutes later it was booming with customers. but more to the point........

I do understand that the customer is always right, however, with this caveat. Too often at restaurant, on cruises, hotels hospitals, etc. I have noted customers who have been rude, unnecessarily demanding and very dismissive of employees.

As one poster's edit signature states "it don't cost nuttin to be nice"

I've gone out of my way to approach employees who have handled demanding diva's with grace, style and a smile including on cruise lines, in hospitals, in stores and at restaurants and told them how impress I was at the intelligent manner they handled the matter.

One thing further, at the age of most villagers we ought to be thankful that we can still walk into a restaurant. It was a non-event

Personal Best Regards:

rubicon.....I agree with you about being nice and pleasant I realize the food industry is a tough business....BUT again in the OP that I was answering it said they were not busy and the only reason given was that they had already set up an area inside for them....we can all make up are own scenarios as to why they didn't do as asked....I tried to give my view on the OP....and in my OP i stated that if the reason was that in a short while they had other parties booked I could understand that...my point is that there reason not to sit them outside was a very poor one ..what does it take to set up 12 spots 5 min. at best
Old 01-19-2017, 06:30 PM

Restaurants, hotels, B&Bs, etc. are in the " hospitality " business . The definition of " hospitality " is the " friendly, generous reception and entertainment of customers, guests and strangers ". People in the " hospitality " business that can not remember this go out of business. No number of snow birds can save them from themselves.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:48 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
rubicon.....I agree with you about being nice and pleasant I realize the food industry is a tough business....BUT again in the OP that I was answering it said they were not busy and the only reason given was that they had already set up an area inside for them....we can all make up are own scenarios as to why they didn't do as asked....I tried to give my view on the OP....and in my OP i stated that if the reason was that in a short while they had other parties booked I could understand that...my point is that there reason not to sit them outside was a very poor one ..what does it take to set up 12 spots 5 min. at best
The OP did say that and your view is valid. I acknowledged that when I mentioned that the customer is always right. We all choose our battles that would not be mine
Closed Thread

Tags
reservation, table, making, asked, person

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.