The Villages Turns Down Jersey Mike's

Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2014, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverunner View Post
The part of this story that I like is that John W was getting a sub BEFORE heading off to MVP!
Heh, I was thinking the same

Btw - Jersey Mikes has fine subs
Old 07-24-2014, 06:50 AM
Platinum member

This response is also business language for, "Hey Jersey Mike, you want a piece of this bonanza then step up and rent the 2000 square feet."
Old 07-24-2014, 09:31 AM

I'm no fan of Subway, they're OK in a pinch, but I fail to "get" the attraction to Jersey Mikes. Tried them out after they opened. I left with the impression that if you like a lot of bread and lettuce and very little meat at a high price they're great. Never went back. I can make a better more filling sub at home with Boar's Head deli meats from Publix.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Eternal Member

I'm not crazy about Jersey Mike's subs. I thought they were very skimpy on the meat and cheese. Rather have Publix or Winn Dixie. I must say, for the price, I do like Subway.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:43 AM

We all have different opinions. I think Jersey Mike's is the best. I ate my first sub at Mike's in Pt. Pleasant, NJ in 1956 at the original store which is now the training center. As for the Villages rules and rents, why do you think we don't have any really good restaurants here in TV?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Default Try Firehouse Subs!

Would love to see Firehouse Subs in or near Brownwood........like by the new Publix possibly. Don't need a Subway down there with one in Pinellas Plaza.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Veteran member

Personally, I see this as a slap in face of the free enterprise system. Pure protectionism. Why not have two companies with same product? The best product with the best service should be the winner. If you can't compete, get better.

Dr. Seuss
Old 07-24-2014, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NottaVillager View Post
A non-compete contract is not at all unusual in this kind of situation. As far as space in Brownwood I'm not really surprised by that. They are looking to get absolute top dollar for the commercial space. The GM of WVLG told me that originally they intended for the radio station to have a studio in Brownwood just as they do at SS & LSL, but because the rental space was so valuable the Morse organization changed their mind and was not going to put one in because of the value of the space.
I agree. I don't think that either of these stipulations are uncommon business practices.

Owners often require that you rent a minimum space in premium areas and non-compete clauses are everywhere.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I don't see it as they were turned down. Brownwood was leasing larger then they needed and Pinellas Plaza already had a Subway signed up. The Publix on 44 would be the next choice. Maybe in time when Brownwood is more built out a smaller store front will become available. JMO
Old 07-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Veteran member

I think the thread title should be Jersey Mikes rejects The Villages lease opportunity.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Gold member

Sounds like an opportunity for Panera. Brownwood, that is.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusX1 View Post
I think the thread title should be Jersey Mikes rejects The Villages lease opportunity.
Exactly! I was looking for the right words and you nailed it.

It's weird how people post things that make it seem like some sort of conspiracy. It's business 101.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Veteran member

And now you know why we're loaded with mediocre chain restaurants in TV - sometimes 3 or more of the same old same old, rather than an independent and/or innovative restaurant, cafe or diner-type of establishment. Thank heavens more and more places are opening around us, and many Villagers aren't afraid to leave "the compound" (oh, how I loathe that phrase, along with "the campus").
Old 07-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoffh View Post
And now you know why we're loaded with mediocre chain restaurants in TV - sometimes 3 or more of the same old same old, rather than an independent and/or innovative restaurant, cafe or diner-type of establishment. Thank heavens more and more places are opening around us, and many Villagers aren't afraid to leave "the compound" (oh, how I loathe that phrase, along with "the campus").
I don't know the exact number but it's something like 90% of all restaurant start-ups fail within the first 2 years.

The old joke: "How do you make a million dollars with a restaurant? Start with 2 million!"

Mediocre restaurants are the norm everywhere because they know how to control their supply chain and they can pool the advertising dollar. It's the way of the world (at least in the USA) not just in TV.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:29 AM

I just looked at Jersey Mikes franchise page and there is no franchise available for this area. I guess the point is moot and rumors expanded on TOTV again.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.