Why there are no high end restaurants here

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2017, 02:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaJones View Post
It's 35-40 minutes to Mark's Prime Steakhouse in Ocala - there are high-end restaurants all around TV. If you're on the south end, it's not that far to Winter Park, Winter Garden - even Mt. Dora has a couple of decent places. If you want a "dining experience", you can find it (and pay for it). I taught business for years, and of course, the restaurant business is one of the toughest out there - everyone so far is correct, TV's populace won't support a Ruth Chris or Morton's on a year-round basis. It's like putting another pizza joint in a college town - the fall, winter & spring are great, but the summers are murder for them, including the difficulty in getting & keeping good help! There IS life "outside the bubble" - go explore!
I agree completely with this post. It seems clear that there isn't enough demand within TV for some of the high end restaurants that have been mentioned. Nonetheless, there are special occasions when a really great restaurant is what any of us might prefer. We leave TV for these evenings - Turners and Rose Plantation are nearby, Goblin Market isn't far plus there are many options in Ocala, Gainseville, Orlando, etc. We regularly go to Disney World just for dinner and maybe to see the fireworks. It is just over an hour away.

Each of us has different tastes and, on any given day, we might be looking for something special. Some nights, Wendy's chili might be just what we crave.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:01 AM
Veteran member

I guess high end means small portion and large price, with all the service falling over themselves to add to your water glass the fancy tableware and cloths overkill from wait staff awesome atmosphere There are snobs among us but I think for the most part good service good food and a reasonable atmosphere is all that is needed for successful restaurants. Oh sure there are plenty of people with their stash of coupons and doing the bogo meals and taking the free one home for later or splitting dinners . I have eaten in those high end restaurants and frankly was not that impressed to want to use them on any kind of regular basis, special occasions when you really want to boost your ego is OK , no thrill for me in 100 150 dollar dinners or more.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:16 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
I guess high end means small portion and large price, with all the service falling over themselves to add to your water glass the fancy tableware and cloths overkill from wait staff awesome atmosphere There are snobs among us but I think for the most part good service good food and a reasonable atmosphere is all that is needed for successful restaurants. Oh sure there are plenty of people with their stash of coupons and doing the bogo meals and taking the free one home for later or splitting dinners . I have eaten in those high end restaurants and frankly was not that impressed to want to use them on any kind of regular basis, special occasions when you really want to boost your ego is OK , no thrill for me in 100 150 dollar dinners or more.
No thrills in those 100 to 150 dollar dinners for us either. We want a decent filling meal at a decent price and decent service.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
No thrills in those 100 to 150 dollar dinners for us either. We want a decent filling meal at a decent price and decent service.
Add a strong drink please.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
For a simple meal, a wonderful salad (with house dressing, a sweet poppy seed) A perfect crepe, good sausage and perfectly prepared eggs, go to the new Bob Evans near you. You may not try it because they don't serve alcohol, but the breakfast is so good sometimes for dinner. Also try the bean soup and half a roast beef sandwich. This is simple farmland cooking from Ohio. OH...and the pie. Wonderful cakebreads too.
My favorite breakfast ever...grill fried cornmeal mush/butter /syrup and sausage patties...as a kid growing up my Mom always had a bread tin of cornmeal mush in the fridge..I'd cut a couple slices and fry it up..mmmmm..Bob Evans is the only restaurant that I'v found in Fla that serves it ..mmmmm
Old 03-22-2017, 02:05 PM

Go to orlando to shula's steak house. You can get a $ 50 dollar steak there, or you can go to alphie's in oaklawaha and get a 18oz. Prime rib for $ 20 bucks there really great
Old 03-22-2017, 09:20 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

All of these postings remind me of Cracker Barrel. We stopped at one somewhere along I-95, and I ordered Swedish pancakes. When the dish was brought to me, I nearly had a heart attack. The pancakes were swimming in one inch of melted butter. I asked the waitress if she had not heard of the ongoing cholesterol problem. She answered with "This is what the senior citizens around here want."
Old 03-22-2017, 09:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
Which is the reason high end doesn't exist here.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-05-2017, 05:51 PM

The Morse Family have private eatery upstairs in Sumter Landing. Mostly all their food I guess comes from Fresh Harvest Food Store, and I'm sure they have a top notch chef. So good luck for us.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
I always wonder why some people have to brag about money.
What's nice is we can all spend money on things that are important to us.
We love to travel so that's where we like to spend our money. We can't eat big meals like we used to so sometimes we're good with appetizers. If I get a meal, it always ends up coming home with me.
I have had many expensive wines. I actually like some of the less expensive wines. I'm a Napa Valley kind of girl.
Bonny, you have been here longer than we have, so I have a question for you. Wasn't the restaurant at the Hacienda CC called The Palm, Palm, or Palms? We never ate there because it was a coat and tie, somewhat semi-formal place. I just remember that it didn't last, but then I don't know how long it had been there, either. The only places like that that I remember from back home were the country clubs and they were high-dollar to join, then you paid dues monthly including dining charges whether you ate there or not. Being cattle country, it was not hard to find a great steak other places.

Believe it or not, seafood was actually excellent and much more reasonable there than here in Florida, which totally surprised us. My favorite is still the Tex-Mex from places there like Paradise Too and Abuello's. Mmmm!
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 05-05-2017, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,369 Times in 2,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigal View Post
The Morse Family have private eatery upstairs in Sumter Landing. Mostly all their food I guess comes from Fresh Harvest Food Store, and I'm sure they have a top notch chef. So good luck for us.
You guess? How are you sure they have a top notch chef?
So what?
How does this all relate to this thread?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:02 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
Bonny, you have been here longer than we have, so I have a question for you. Wasn't the restaurant at the Hacienda CC called The Palm, Palm, or Palms? We never ate there because it was a coat and tie, somewhat semi-formal place. I just remember that it didn't last, but then I don't know how long it had been there, either. The only places like that that I remember from back home were the country clubs and they were high-dollar to join, then you paid dues monthly including dining charges whether you ate there or not. Being cattle country, it was not hard to find a great steak other places.

Believe it or not, seafood was actually excellent and much more reasonable there than here in Florida, which totally surprised us. My favorite is still the Tex-Mex from places there like Paradise Too and Abuello's. Mmmm!
Yes, I remember it well. They had extra jackets and ties for people who came in without them. Loved the Sunday buffet!! It had it's time and was good while it lasted. I agree, I think our seafood in Michigan was delicious and usually cheaper than Florida.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Not understanding why you posted this. What do you mean "good luck for us" & what is Fresh Harvest Food Store?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:50 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Not understanding why you posted this. What do you mean "good luck for us" & what is Fresh Harvest Food Store?
I am guessing she means Fresh Market - but who knows?

It is no secret there is a private club on the second floor of Redsauce. Have a member sponsor you, pay the membership fee and you can eat up there, too.

Personally, I am happy at Cody's with their good food and two for one drinks!
Old 05-05-2017, 10:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
All of these postings remind me of Cracker Barrel. We stopped at one somewhere along I-95, and I ordered Swedish pancakes. When the dish was brought to me, I nearly had a heart attack. The pancakes were swimming in one inch of melted butter. I asked the waitress if she had not heard of the ongoing cholesterol problem. She answered with "This is what the senior citizens around here want."
Don't leave us in suspense. Did you pour off the butter and eat the Swedish pancakes?

Quote:
Quote:
I had exactly the same questions.
Closed Thread

Tags
burger, high, soup, portobello, cup

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.