Why there are no high end restaurants here

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by permanentvacation View Post
Go ask the people that live in the million dollar homes where they eat. They don't overpay and the don't eat crap...but you may have to drive a little.
I mostly eat at home. Thanks for asking.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:13 PM
Sage

We all know that one of the down sides to TV is lack of fine dining but that is sometimes in the eye of the beholder.

There are several restaurants near TV who have better dining options. I one for, don't seem to be too picky and enjoy most meals in TV.

It somewhat depends if one is willing to go outside the bubble to sample some of the other food choices.

To each their own.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-01-2017, 09:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Wow! What is up with some of you people? Food is food. I can eat a McDonald's burger and I'll bet you anything it will turn into crap and flush down a toilet just like a $10.50 burger or a $50 steak.

I like food, but damn, food is food. Fine dining is salmon patties, fried potatoes, collard greens, purple hull peas, cornbread and iced tea; I need to invite some of y'all over for "fine dining southern style".
I agree 100%. We all have our food preferences. What is important to me is enjoying food with my friends. And we all know the result of food after it passes through the alimentary canal. It's just not a big deal to most of us. Maybe you should have taken that into consideration when you bought here. A more metropolitan area may have suited you better. I doubt you will find what you want here, but it is only an hour or two away.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Chatbrat. Good heavens. Most people, even those with a few extra bucks, got here because they were careful with their money. Going out to a more expensive restaurant for most of us was a treat, not a nightly experience. The goal for a lot of us is to not outlive our last buck.

I find if I want a really good meal, I cook it.

Stop already. Bragging about money almost always ****es people off.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:31 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
After seeing posts on other threat complaining that a burger @ $10.50 is too high and a person saying that 1/2 a portobello burger & a cup of soup is fine

I've got nothing more to say--but, you get what you don't want to pay for
We're going to Bern Steak House and you are welcome to join us but the only seats available are in the back of our
golf cart
Old 02-02-2017, 05:41 AM

Whats for dinner?
Old 02-02-2017, 05:57 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I mostly eat at home. Thanks for asking.
Yes, we do too.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Build it & they will come
You are correct. The Rose Plantation is a new high end restaurant in Fruitland Park that is getting rave reviews, and is so busy you have to get dinner reservations way in advance.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:49 AM

Have found many good options for a nice lunch in The Villages. We mostly eat out at lunch and at home for a light dinner. When hubby and I want a really great meal, we cook at home. Valentine's Day, for example, we will again make a wonderful dinner at home with good wine and a sinful, chocolate dessert. We don't like the crowds of dinner out on that day.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:32 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,243 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
No, but I would like a $50.00 cowboy bone in ribeye and a good bottle of Zinfandel, not the swill that most restaurants here call wine
I think the fallacy in your statement is equating price with quality. A good steak is a good steak regardless if you paid 25 bucks or overpaid 50 bucks for it. We are fortunate enough that we can pay 50 bucks for a steak if we choose to. We almost never do. My own steak off the grill is better.

Zinfandel......really?

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 02-02-2017, 10:20 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
I think the fallacy in your statement is equating price with quality. A good steak is a good steak regardless if you paid 25 bucks or overpaid 50 bucks for it. We are fortunate enough that we can pay 50 bucks for a steak if we choose to. We almost never do. My own steak off the grill is better.

Zinfandel......really?
Wish there was a 'like' button for your post!

Old 02-02-2017, 03:16 PM
Veteran member

Hey, I'd be more then happy to have you over for diner. I'll cook that $15 dollar steak and charge you $50 and I'll get the $20 bottle of wine and charge you $70. Sounds like a deal to me...... The best meals I've ever had were in places you'd think twice about going through the door. The only thing I've ever received that's high end in some of these restaurants was a high $$$$ Bill and little food.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Sage

The Rose Plantation is taking reservations-for two weeks out--again--build it and they will come !!
Old 02-02-2017, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I think that the answer to your question is that they wouldn't succeed.

The ""Rose Plantation in Fruitland Park seems to be doing OK right now, but we'll have to see if it lasts. I think that it's way too much money for most Villagers except for a special occasion.

When new place like that opens, there is a lot of excitement and people want top try it. But the real test is whether it can survive for the long term. After the try out period is over, are there enough people here that will continue to go there on a regular basis?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:24 PM
Eternal Member

No "high end" restaurant would survive because of the attitude of so many Villagers. The "entitled " attitude of doing things their own way.

Prime example - a group of around 8 ladies go to Glenview for lunch. They all ask for water and then stir in their Crystal Light lemonade. The server informs the manager who tells the ladies they will have to pay 75 cents for the water. They all get angry and are yelling about how unfair this is. Just plain CHEAP!

A couple will easily spend $175 plus tax and 20% tip at Ruth Chris. But how many times per month? Restaraunts have to be making a profit all the time and when snowbirds leave, the money stops being spent. 5 good months does not make a profitable year.
Closed Thread

Tags
burger, high, soup, portobello, cup

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.