Will a really nice upscale restaurant ever come here??

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
I really miss good upscale dining. Closest thing to a good restaurant is the Cuvee Bistro in Ocala. In my honest opinion almost every restaurant in the Villages are cast from the same mold. My wife & myself spend @leasts $100.00 very time we go out. But, we would like to have something really different from cookie cutter menus that are prevalent in the Villages. We make the best pizzas on our Big Green Egg, The Egg gets to 700 degrees and there isn't a steak in the Villages that can come close. Our Veal Milanese on a bed of arugala is the best Italian dish.

Really would like a good pan Asian restaurant, an Italian restaurant that can make northern food, a good German restaurant.
Sounds as if you should just eat at home or move to a more upscale location that fits your dining needs more. I by no mean want to come across as sarcastic but read your own post.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Bern's Steak House in Tampa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
A lot of restaurants in New Orleans.
That doesn't tell me what "upscale" is.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Default Upscale.. Nope!

I would venture a guess that 90% of the residents of TV... were well aware of the price of eating in or near The Villages... when moving here.. that is what brought us here... Those who have large average incomes to support their appetites and need that kind of dining may have just moved to the wrong location! The price of homes here match the price of living (so far) lets not get this thing out of hand now... Dr. Phillips in Orlando has a few high end homes For Sale and the high end eating places near by for your dining pleasures etc... Oh by the way the tax office has your address to match the other high end things that go with that expensive bowl of pasta.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
That doesn't tell me what "upscale" is.
An upscale restaurant is one where you must remove your baseball cap before entering.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:15 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Upscale: steak, halibut,--- $45, wine $50 - $90/bottle, salad $15 - $22, desert $7 - $15; total with taxes and tip at least $100/pp.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-24-2014, 09:46 PM

It seems that a whole lot of restaurants around the villages don't know what seasoning is. A little tap of Marsala wine with chicken, nutmeg with chili, some oregano and star of anise....A lot of dishes fall flat. Come on! Are there any chefs around that know their way around searing meats, adding seasonings, braising?
Old 10-24-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I really miss good upscale dining. Closest thing to a good restaurant is the Cuvee Bistro in Ocala. In my honest opinion almost every restaurant in the Villages are cast from the same mold. My wife & myself spend @leasts $100.00 very time we go out. But, we would like to have something really different from cookie cutter menus that are prevalent in the Villages. We make the best pizzas on our Big Green Egg, The Egg gets to 700 degrees and there isn't a steak in the Villages that can come close. Our Veal Milanese on a bed of arugala is the best Italian dish.

Really would like a good pan Asian restaurant, an Italian restaurant that can make northern food, a good German restaurant.
How I long to dine in a nice quiet restaurant with white tablecloths and candlelight. A restaurant were everyone speaks in normal tones and dresses appropriately for dinner.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
An upscale restaurant is one where you must remove your baseball cap before entering.

Lol..........that answers his question!
Old 10-25-2014, 07:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy327 View Post
How I long to dine in a nice quiet restaurant with white tablecloths and candlelight. A restaurant were everyone speaks in normal tones and dresses appropriately for dinner.
I agree. A quiet restaurant instead of the noisy country clubs. And great food to boot. We go to Cuvee in Ocala when we need an upscale fix, or occasionally some restaurants in the Orlando/Winter Park area. One of the compromises we've made when relocating to The Villages. It obviously isn't perfect here.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

CHEFs aren't common here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoas1@comcast.net View Post
It seems that a whole lot of restaurants around the villages don't know what seasoning is. A little tap of Marsala wine with chicken, nutmeg with chili, some oregano and star of anise....A lot of dishes fall flat. Come on! Are there any chefs around that know their way around searing meats, adding seasonings, braising?

I think that a LOT of the moderate priced restaurants here...and in a LOT of places, chains for sure,depend on premade entrees purchased from big food companies who do a fairly decent job doing that. In order to pay the kitchen help who would be experienced cooks, they would have to raise prices past what MOST villagers want to pay.

The starched linen tablecloths are an added expense passed on to the diner.

I am glad I LIKE to cook, and my family likes simple things.

So MANY businesses have missed the boat by not coming here. Since most of the growth here has occurred in the last ten years, demographers are not keeping up with us and passing the information on to the businesses they serve.

Just think HOW MUCH MONEY Homegoods lost by not being here this last ten years. All of those new homes and new to people homes sold and all the buyers looking for the things that Homegoods sell. Bealls has really lucked out in the accessories market.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

If any restaurant here would bring my salad to the table carrying and offering to use a pepper grinder I would consider it upscale. So far it's never happened.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:07 AM
Sage

It may not be a good idea for me. My scale has gone up too much already.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
The Egg gets to 700 degrees
I think you're overcooking them.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
I agree. A quiet restaurant instead of the noisy country clubs. And great food to boot. We go to Cuvee in Ocala when we need an upscale fix, or occasionally some restaurants in the Orlando/Winter Park area. One of the compromises we've made when relocating to The Villages. It obviously isn't perfect here.
I agree completely, the restaurants in TV are lacking in what you mentioned above. Hopefully, that may change in the future.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:18 AM
Sage

"Upscale" and what the general population spends on a dinner, does not match. Maybe on a very special occasion but generally not the rule.

I'm no expert on this subject but Latina Y Mas on 301, makes a good paella.

I heard Sam's St John's in Summerfield, serves very good seafood.

Fortunately, I don't have a very discriminate palette and that works for me.

Most folks here fit the joke where I guy recently opened and bar with 1920's pricing for drinks, at his grand opening.

A patron noticed a bunch of senior citizens siting at a table and not drinking.

He asked the bartender what's up with their not drinking. The bartender said there are waiting for happy hour.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.