Will a really nice upscale restaurant ever come here??

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhdleo View Post
Ok guess I am missing your sense of humor so please excuse me ....... have no idea what Chuckie Cheese has to to with a very high end restaurant in Chicago called Lawry's.
I'm sorry for my assumption that everyone enjoys the same movie as I do and is familiar with it.
In the movie "Grumpier Old Men" Walter Matthu told Sophia Loren who was going to open an Italian restaurant on the outside of the town of Wabasha that he didn't understand why she would want to open an up-scale Italian restaurant there when they have a Chunky Cheese right there in Wabasha.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Location: Living in the Villages after 26 years on the Upper Westside of Manhattan!

I don't want a particularly upscale restaurant, but I do want some more authentic ethnic experiences: a French Bistro, a German Restaurant, an Indian Restaurant, Vietnamese Food, etc.
formerly of Manhattan and weekends on the Jersey Shore--now living the dream in Caroline!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg150 View Post
I don't want a particularly upscale restaurant, but I do want some more authentic ethnic experiences: a French Bistro, a German Restaurant, an Indian Restaurant, Vietnamese Food, etc.
There's a decent German restaurant in Ocala called The Schnitzel Factory. A good drive away is The Willow Tree Inn in Sanford.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:01 PM
Platinum member
Default Me, Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
We have been here 14 1/2 years. I remember Hacienda Hills Country Club was a jacket only restaurant ! Not sure how many on here remember that because it sure didn't last long !!!
They had a delicious seafood buffet. It really was good but no one wanted to pay the price nor did they want to go out with sports jackets on.
Then they tried to make the upstairs of Katie Belles into a high priced exclusive Cattle Baron Club where you had to spend a certain amount of money. Again that didn't last long. BTW, I love Cattle Baron, but I was never going to join at those high prices. It actually is one of my favorite places in the Villages !!
With that being said, I love that the Villages tries to have something for everyone, but the higher prices never works !!!
So many people say high end restaurants. In reality, how many times a month or year are you going to spend that kind of money.
I think we have lots of good choices here for reasonable prices that we can afford. Let's count our blessings !!! We couldn't live anywhere and have the choices that we have here. Let's not forget, that we can get to these places by golf cart !!
I hope everyone has a wonderful and peaceful night !!
We have been here almost 11 years, and I do remember when Hacienda was "formal dining" and Cattle Baron was pretty close to the same. As you said, that concept didn't last because it was a losing proposition. I remember when Chico's was part of Katie Belle's (don't remember if that was the Cattle Baron part or not). I remember when it all became private, too, because Spanish Springs was the only town square and the residents could not get in to Katie Belle's or Cattle Baron because of all the locals from surrounding areas.

There is nothing wrong with "upscale", but it has pretty much been proven by past failures that that is not what the majority want or will support. Like someone else pointed out, how often is dinner out really that unique or special? With so many residents being seasonal, that type of business would really be hard pressed to make it during off-season.

That's just how I see it, but I can only view it from my own eyes and experience and the majority of my experience has been modest and always will be. With the constant growth, perhaps someday there truly will be something for everyone: I hope so because that is the goal of all of us "to be happy in our retirement years, no matter our station in life".
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 10-31-2014, 11:19 AM

Could not less. Just want good food at a good price in a nice atmosphere. Don't need to feel superior because I want to "fine dine". Just my opinion.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Making assessments about the need or desire for upscale restaurants based on data that is 5 or 10 years old doesn't make sense to me. We moved here in 2004, and I believe the population has at least doubled since that time. And look at all the premier homes that have been built. Surely these are people that can afford and may want a higher quality dining experience than they can get at the local country clubs. It will be interesting to see how things develop down the line.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Making assessments about the need or desire for upscale restaurants based on data that is 5 or 10 years old doesn't make sense to me. We moved here in 2004, and I believe the population has at least doubled since that time. And look at all the premier homes that have been built. Surely these are people that can afford and may want a higher quality dining experience than they can get at the local country clubs. It will be interesting to see how things develop down the line.
Premier owners are "special"?
Old 10-31-2014, 02:34 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Yes many people that retired "well" are moving here but still are there enough to support a fine dining restaurant "full time" 6 - 7 days a week to the point the place could actually make money? Again I seriously doubt it.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:33 PM

janeg did you mean Goblin Market? Yes it is fabulous in Mt Dora!
Old 11-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

///

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-07-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Premier owners are "special"?
Bogie and I agree. They aren't special...Nope. Premier owners clip coupons and watch the bottom line like everyone does. Most homeowners here are no longer working and would like to outlive their savings..

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-07-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Nope. Premier owners clip coupons and watch the bottom line like everyone does. Most homeowners here are no longer working.
That is how they obtained sufficient financial assets to reside in Premier homes. I know two married couples who literally started from nothing, worked very hard all their lives and are worth more than I could even dream about having. When we go out to dinner at high end restaurants inevitably the wife has a bag of coupons and finds one to use. We all get a big chuckle out of it but it comes from a lifetime practice of being careful with and wanting value for their hard earned money.

BTW, we always tip the wait person for the full meal value.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.