Mosquitos at Cane Garden

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Platinum member
Default Mosquitos at Cane Garden

On Wednesday evening this past week, we played golf with several friends and neighbors. Afterward we went to Cane Garden and since we had a rather large group were seated outside. Normally this would not be a problem, but this particular evening the mosquitos were out in droves. Most of the ladies had several bites and my wife got bitten around 50 times on her legs. We have never had this problem before, but willl not be eating outside at Cane Garden or anywhere else in the evening.

She has been itching something fierce and we have been putting Benadryl lotion and Cortisone cream on her legs to try and relieve some of the itching.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 09-15-2013, 05:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,484 Times in 1,900 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
On Wednesday evening this past week, we played golf with several friends and neighbors. Afterward we went to Cane Garden and since we had a rather large group were seated outside. Normally this would not be a problem, but this particular evening the mosquitos were out in droves. Most of the ladies had several bites and my wife got bitten around 50 times on her legs. We have never had this problem before, but willl not be eating outside at Cane Garden or anywhere else in the evening.

She has been itching something fierce and we have been putting Benadryl lotion and Cortisone cream on her legs to try and relieve some of the itching.
You don't hear of mosquitoes much here. Bogie will read this and tell you who to call.

Tell your bride to try Sarna. It works better on itching than anything I have ever used before.

Last edited by Moderator; 09-15-2013 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Removed off topic political reference
Old 09-15-2013, 06:21 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

I don't think I've ever seen a mosquito here in TV. it must be all the wet weather we've had. Sarna lotion is an excellent moisturizer for the relief of itching due to dry skin, but the combination of a topical antihistamine and a topical steroid (like the Benadryl and cortisone) you are already using is best for mosquito bites.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:21 AM
Dancing Thyme

It happens to me all the time when I'm outside at night, whether at a restaurant or at the squares. I think they are called no-see-ums and they are terrible at certain times of the summer. I haven't seen mosquitos here either but these little suckers are treacherous. Try a cream sold at Walmart its very inexpensive, in a white plastic jar with a red cap. Its for chiggers but it works on all my bites.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 09-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post

I heard the Villages sprayer the other night late. They go through the neighborhoods at night and spray. I hope you let the manager know because we eat there alot and I'm allergic to mosquito bites. If I do get one it lasts for weeks. My go to medication is the Bendryl spray. I scratch the bite then spray it on. It stings but seems to take care of it so I can get some sleep.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Platinum member

So sorry to hear about the mosquito bites!
My friends swear by Oragel for mosquito bites. It's the little tube in the back of the medicine cabinet that you use for mouth & dental sores. If you have some, give it a try.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 09-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Sage

I am loved by mosquitoes (female ones, of course). I have not seen or felt hardly any in The Villages but have been chewed on at an outdoor restaurant in Mt. Dora recently.

There is a product called AfterBite which is a little tube with a dauber applicator. Works great for biting or stinging insects. It is just ammonia. If you are at home and get bit or stung, dab on ammonia a few times and it is relieved. You can also spray on Windex since that has ammonia in it.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
I am loved by mosquitoes (female ones, of course). I have not seen or felt hardly any in The Villages but have been chewed on at an outdoor restaurant in Mt. Dora recently.

There is a product called AfterBite which is a little tube with a dauber applicator. Works great for biting or stinging insects. It is just ammonia. If you are at home and get bit or stung, dab on ammonia a few times and it is relieved. You can also spray on Windex since that has ammonia in it.
I have also used after bite. I forgot about it when i ran out. You're right. It is good stuff.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:41 AM

We live in Sanibel and have been plagued with mosquitos in the evening the last couple of weeks. They are particularly vicious and make sitting outside impossible. I called The Villages, who referred me to Sumter County because they have a mosquito spraying program. The county explained they spray every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night unless there is heavy rain. I'm not sure how much it's helping.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Veteran member

Mosquitos in Fla ... in the summer .... who would figure.

Last edited by LndLocked; 09-16-2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,273 Times in 2,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
Mosguitos in Fla ... in the summer .... who would figure.
If things are not perfect..................................
Old 09-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
Mosguitos in Fla ... in the summer .... who would figure.
Believe it or not mosquitos are not usually been a problem in TV. This is our second summer here (live in Hadley) and have not had a problem. Don't have much problem with flies either - don't think they're allowed in TV.

On the other hand these love bugs are a different story!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Sage

Mosquito bites can be very serious and lead to death in the elderly.

http://mosquito.ifas.ufl.edu/mosquito_born_diseases.htm

Sorry, link doesn't work. Search: Mosquitos and disease transmission in Florida
Old 09-16-2013, 05:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Believe it or not mosquitos are not usually been a problem in TV. This is our second summer here (live in Hadley) and have not had a problem. Don't have much problem with flies either - don't think they're allowed in TV.

On the other hand these love bugs are a different story!
Believe it or not I have lived in centro fla for 50+ years and know the deal with mosquitoes. I just get laugh out of threads that express amazement (and sometimes even a bit of anger) when TV'ers find that animals, reptiles and insects that are indigenous to Fla are actually in TV ... oh the horror!!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Mosquito bites can be very serious and lead to death in the elderly.

http://mosquito.ifas.ufl.edu/mosquito_born_diseases.htm

Sorry, link doesn't work. Search: Mosquitos and disease transmission in Florida

Alas, not only in Florida. Fortunately, mosquitos are controlled here in The Villages. Not often are they around, but every once in a while, there is a pesticide resistant bugger and one of them made it to our bedroom one night. Freaking buzz woke me and it was war...took about 30 minutes, but I got her!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.