Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   World of Beer (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/world-beer-87056/)

BarryRX 09-01-2013 02:54 PM

World of Beer

Stopped by Brownwood on the way back from our Sunday ride and saw that World of Beer was open. They were mobbed so my wife and I didn't stay, but I look forward to trying some of the Belgian beers they have.

rubicon 09-01-2013 03:35 PM

Wonder how they are going to price their products??

Cobh521 09-01-2013 04:55 PM

Wen to the soft opening today. You needed a ticket. Beer prices are high compared to other establishments in the villages. The beer we wanted was $7.00 per beer. They also require a credit card to run a tab. We did that and told our waitress she never brought our card back. She had actually messed up and charged someone else's beer and food to our card. I recognized the card she was carrying around and she never acknowledged that she made a mistake.

Bogie Shooter 09-01-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobh521 (Post 737464)
Wen to the soft opening today. You needed a ticket. Beer prices are high compared to other establishments in the villages. The beer we wanted was $7.00 per beer. They also require a credit card to run a tab. We did that and told our waitress she never brought our card back. She had actually messed up and charged someone else's beer and food to our card. I recognized the card she was carrying around and she never acknowledged that she made a mistake.

Soft opening, right? Isn't that where they try to work out the bugs?
MG, they are not even officially open and getting slammed already.
Can't wait to read the posts in another week.

SpicyCajunPugs 09-01-2013 06:56 PM

Please lets give this new restaurant a chance...they just opened and need to work out the bugs. We need more restaurants down south and instant negative publicity will not help. Everyone knew world of beer will be higher priced because of the atmosphere, decor, and the great expensive beers they offer, so lets compare apples to apples and beers to beers. Can't wait to try it !!!

gomoho 09-01-2013 07:11 PM

With those prices it will be very difficult for them to compete.

LittleDog 09-01-2013 07:14 PM

What kind of food do they serve?

John

anarick 09-01-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrheydt (Post 737522)
What kind of food do they serve?

John

Beer nuts. :beer3:

Rickg 09-01-2013 07:43 PM

I tried To get in there tonight, but I couldn't even get a place at the bar after 20 minutes. They were packed I had to go to city fire which wasn't all that crowded. I'm looking forward to trying it.

birdawg 09-01-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anarick (Post 737539)
Beer nuts. :beer3:

No thats the customer's Hi Rick

Mallory 09-01-2013 07:46 PM

As to food, my understanding from visiting other World of Beer locations is that they typically do not serve food but you can bring your own. One location I visited had take-out menus from other local establishments and would order it.

It's a craft and specialty beer establishment. If you like brands like Dogfish Head, Lagunitas, SweetWater Brewing, and Cigar City it will be great. If you're more into Coors, Miller, and Bud Light it may not be a the place for you. I wouldn't expect too many $1 16 oz. drafts.

Personally, I can't wait for the 11 AM opening on Labor Day.

BarryRX 09-01-2013 07:55 PM

If you're going to compare this place to happy hour $2 yeunglings at the country clubs, then this is not the place for you. But, if you'd like to try a bunch of beers that are unusual and generally not available in this area, then this might be a place to try. I've liked beer for a long time, and for most of my life I've been very happy with a Bud or a Miller. But when the craft beer revolution happened in the 90's, I found that learning about different beers and tasting and enjoying them was a nice hobby. For me, I'm willing to pay the higher prices for the new experiences. I recognize that there are others who aren't. If you do go, and are a little overwhelmed by all the choices, they offer a flight of 4 of the seasonal beers on tap. Beer tasting is as much fun as wine tasting, and in beer tasting we don't spit! John.....I did see some pub grub on their menu, but since we didn't stay I didn't take a close look at it.

Villageswimmer 09-01-2013 07:56 PM

Just a guess, but it seems like it would be difficult making the business profitable if they don't sell any food. Maybe I'm wrong. Have been before (many times, in fact.)

Cobh521 09-01-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 737498)
Soft opening, right? Isn't that where they try to work out the bugs?
MG, they are not even officially open and getting slammed already.
Can't wait to read the posts in another week.

You are talking about me slamming them. I realize they need or work out the kinks but not with my credit card!

lpkshop 09-01-2013 08:52 PM

Hubby and I stopped in tonight .hopping place premium prices but we are used to that coming from NYC. Had a blueberry wheat withe blueberries VERY good. Not as good as thrones I had outside Fenway but good. Also had a tangerine wheat . We will be back!