Palms that are good in zone 9A

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2013, 06:05 AM
Sage
Arrow Palms that are good in zone 9A

Last Saturday we went to the annual plant show at Leu Gardens in Orlando.

Great show a bunch of vendors, our main focus was to get a bunch of palms to start our landscape project off.
But they needed to tolerate the low temps that may occur here.

We found the following on this trip most 4-6.5 feet

Canary Island - date palm
mule
pindo
bizmarkias
windmill
sabal causiarum
coontie
rhapis multi
arenga elgleri
Sabal minor
silver saw
c. microspadix
seashore Allagoptera arenaria

Several other plants were purchased also filling the back seat, the pickup bed was full.

The pic was taken just after unloading, they R not going there just chilling out. Planning now on placement/location.

Most came from MB Palms near Orlando, he had a large offering.

Great people to deal with his prices are 40-70% less than the nurseries around here. Mike is the owner and know palms, thought I did my research but he didn't think several were a good idea here, understand that Orlando's temp zone 9B is very different than we have here.

He has a 5 acre facility.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0641.JPG
Views:	1040
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	11296   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0640.JPG
Views:	746
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	11297  
Old 03-18-2013, 07:36 AM

Thanks Jimbo! I'm going to bookmark this info for our plan.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:43 AM
Gold member

Gonna look nice.
Is that a Wisteria model? We bought a spec home, and the builder put a couple of large ligustrums behind the lanai for privacy.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Sage

yes wisteria, I don't like anything in front of the lanai over 18" I want to see out.

For privacy I want to put everything far away right to limit of the property line.

I want to feel space not feel confined???????
Old 03-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Veteran member

Wow, you made quite a haul! You must have a big truck......and I hope you have a big yard.

That mule is a beauty, wish they were available up here in Alabama. Is the palm, 3rd from right in second pic, a mule also......or a pindo? Can't tell for sure.

When we finally move to TV I won't hesitate to plant anything on your list, but there are a few that will be marginally hardy & show some damage in the mid 20s or so depending on the duration of the cold, especially the Bismarckia nobilis & Rhapis multifida. The bismarckia is a very fast grower though so it would recover quickly. Didn't notice a bissie in your pics, but if you bought one just make sure you give it (as well as the pindo & CIDP) lots of room, they can get very, very wide. The Rhapis will be a slow grower so it should be easy to protect from cold.

A couple more words of advice (in case you don't already know): don't plant the Rhapis or Chamaedorea microspadix in direct sun. They are definitely shade/filtered sun lovers.

Good luck, and hope you post more pics when you have the finished product.
Thanks for sharing.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 03-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
That mule is a beauty, wish they were available up here in Alabama. Is the palm, 3rd from right in second pic, a mule also......or a pindo? Can't tell for sure.
we like the mule a lot also.
without looking it must be the pindo, I only have one mule

Quote:
When we finally move to TV I won't hesitate to plant anything on your list, but there are a few that will be marginally hardy & show some damage in the mid 20s or so depending on the duration of the cold, especially the Bismarckia nobilis & Rhapis multifida.
The Bismark should take low to mid 20's danger is if it continues over 12-18 hours, not likely here only twice it hit 23 in 15 years and it wasn't for a lot of hours.
They can do well with incandescent Christmas lites if it gets touchy, but when established should be fine saw reports to 18 without damage.

The Rhapis can take 20 in the right location, but I'll keep an eye on 'em anyway.

There are several winterizing methods if an odd front comes thru and I don't mean thro a sheet over em

Quote:
A couple more words of advice (in case you don't already know): don't plant the Rhapis or Chamaedorea microspadix in direct sun. They are definitely shade/filtered sun lovers.
they can be ok under canopies or behind another, but C. Micro can take a few hours direct I was told by the grower.

I have 3-4 others to track down later on, but this should be a good start.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Veteran member

Pindos are the least hardy of anything I currently have in the ground up here. Whenever it's forecasted to go below 15F I have spotlight fixtures (the kind with a stake to go in the ground) with a heatlamp bulb aimed downwind of course, & up toward the heart (growpoint) of the palm. I usually place it out about 3 feet from the base of the trunk. Don't want to cook it. Has worked great for me, but haven't had to use at all the past two winters.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Veteran member

Jimbo, also meant to say thanks for sharing the info about MB Palms. When we buy our first home in TV I also plan on doing most of the landscaping. So I'll definitely keep the link for MB. Sounds like a great nursery.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
Pindos are the least hardy of anything I currently have in the ground up here. Whenever it's forecasted to go below 15F I have spotlight fixtures (the kind with a stake to go in the ground) with a heatlamp bulb aimed downwind of course, & up toward the heart (growpoint) of the palm. I usually place it out about 3 feet from the base of the trunk. Don't want to cook it. Has worked great for me, but haven't had to use at all the past two winters.
The palm geeks use burlap and wrap with white or clear Christmas lites, they claim it can bring them 2 zones higher.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

European Fan Palms, Needle Palms and Windmills are also great for this area.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Sage

yes they will take the temps

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.