Golf Cart differences

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove
Default Golf Cart differences

Could someone explain the differences (advantages/disadvantages would be nice too) among golf carts. I've heard the term street-legal. What does that mean? Also I hear there are gas and electric carts. Do gas carts use regular gas? How far can you go in a gas vs an electric car before running out of juice? Then there seems to be some controversy about how fast a cart can go. What are the issues there?
Old 10-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Sage

I'll start: Street legal is a term for low speed vehicles (LSV) carts that are made to tougher legal standards than a normal cart and can run on streets that a normal cart can not. Some/all have: roll bars, seat belts, high speed motors and braking systems etc. All street legal carts are electric I think. Check this link: http://www.fairwaygolfcartsonline.co...s-florida.html

Most people I know who have electric carts run them for no more than 40 miles before full charge. Some manufactures claim upwards of 60 miles but I don't want to be towed home! Gas carts can get a couple of hundred miles on a fill-up of a five + gallon tank.

Some people have claimed that premium gas cuts down on smell but most people I've talked to use regular.

There is no controversy on speed. A non LSV can go no faster than 20mph (I think the actual FLA law states 19.6?). LSV's can go no faster than 25mph. But that doesn't mean the cart can't physically go faster

Someone please correct me if I've made an error.

Last edited by Russ_Boston; 10-24-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Platinum member

In addition to distance, gas golf carts generally climb hills better than electric carts. That was accurate before EZ-Go introduced their RXV model with an AC motor around 2007. The RXV climbs steep hills with two adults and absolutely no decrease in speed. The Polaris on the other hand, still dies on a steep incline.

George
Old 10-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Sage

taylor - Here's an older thread that will help shed some light on your questions about "street-legal" carts (also called LSVs - low speed vehicles), speeds, etc. Russ is correct that they must be electric.

Are registered vehicles allowed on the cart paths?

Re: gas versus electric -

- All gas carts (that I know of!) use regular unleaded gas.

- You'll get varying feedback from folks regarding their preference of gas carts or electric ones. To a point, it's analogous to the "Ford vs. Chevy" debate - some like one car brand more than the other, all for mostly good reasons regardless of anyone's preference. One thing to consider with cart usage in TV: As TV continues to grow geographically - eventually clear down to Rt. 44/Wildwood, some electric carts (depending on your location, usage, care/age of the batteries, driving habits, etc.) might be getting taxed to their limit due to the longer distances they will need to cover. That alone sways my personal preference to gas carts. Fill a gas cart's tank up with fuel and you're good for a number of days, regardless of how much you're driving it around. Others will have a passion for electric carts for a variety of good reasons. But if your main concern is driving distance, you'll probably lean towards a gas cart.

Bill
Old 10-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Platinum member

If you're going to be driving at nght the electric will drain the batteries faster when you use your headlights.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 10-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Platinum member

I have an electric EZ-G0 RXV and am very happy with it. As another poster said, it does not lose speed going up a hill. Being able to retain top legal speed is important to me. The Villages is a big area to cover.

My husband has a gas Club Car. To change gears for forward, neutral and reverse, he has to move a lever that is between the two passengers, on the seat bench. It can be awkard. He also has an ignition key.

My EZ-GO has a switch on the dash that turns the cart on and off, as well as changes the gears. Much easier, especially on the back.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Gold member
Red face

My home is pretty much in the middle of the Villages so gas vs electric is not really germane to where I live. However, if I lived on the ends of TV I would probably opt for gas. My preference is electric because I can get anywhere in TV on one charge. Its easy to just plug in and then go the next day. I have never run out of juice and as another person has posted I believe that 40 miles might be the limit for one charge. (I live about 8 miles from Lopez and that is the furthest course from me.) About 5 months ago I purchased a solar panel for my golf cart roof and I believe that is giving my batteries more life because before I got the panel the battery charging indicator would go down faster. My batteries are over 2 years old. Now it doesn't do that. Nothing extraordinary about the solar panel like giving me 70 miles on a charge but I do notice a difference.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 10-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Also

Windshield wipers are required for LSV's also...LSV's can travel on all roads that are 35mph or less, includes crossing 441/27.

Gas use to be noisy and smell up the garage but I think they have
improved.

We usually rent a cart if the drive is LOOOONNNNG, it's a rough ride from one
end of the Villages to the other (15 miles?) (cart rental $10)

A cart we use to own was an LC-3 (Dealer on historic side - The Village Cart Man) which has a trunk big enough to store and lock two small golf bags which is a "good thing" when you stop for lunch after your game and still want your clubs to be waiting for you...

In addition to purchasing a golf cart and deciding on different "goodies" you want on your cart, you will also decide on "curtains" or sliders..

Soooo many decisions but I'm sure you will love whatever cart (or carts) you park in your "Paradise Palace"
Old 10-24-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryoung View Post
In addition to distance, gas golf carts generally climb hills better than electric carts. That was accurate before EZ-Go introduced their RXV model with an AC motor around 2007. The RXV climbs steep hills with two adults and absolutely no decrease in speed. The Polaris on the other hand, still dies on a steep incline.

George
We have an EZ-Go 2008 model and it's great on hills, much better than the other brands we tried out. :-)
Old 10-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default A few questions to be added to the mix.

A street legal cart can go 25 mph but isn't that just on the street? I have had them whiz past me on the cart paths. Should they even be there at all? I have also been told that a street legal cart needs to be registered as an automobile and needs a license plate. If true, does it cost as much to register a cart as a cart, i.e., 400+ dollars? Also hasn't the insurance for a Street legal much hicher than a non legal crt? All things to consider. We have a 2008 Ez-Go, We live as far west as the villages go and we have only gotten close to "empty" once when we both needed it for golf one day. Take it for what it is.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
A street legal cart can go 25 mph but isn't that just on the street? I have had them whiz past me on the cart paths. Should they even be there at all? I have also been told that a street legal cart needs to be registered as an automobile and needs a license plate. If true, does it cost as much to register a cart as a cart, i.e., 400+ dollars? Also hasn't the insurance for a Street legal much hicher than a non legal crt? All things to consider. We have a 2008 Ez-Go, We live as far west as the villages go and we have only gotten close to "empty" once when we both needed it for golf one day. Take it for what it is.
Hi Salybow

As a courtesy to cars, we usually will move to cart path but return to street....Yes, street legal carts need to be registered ($50) and insured (Safeco $101/yr) and for that, you have the dubious honor of going 5 mph more than other carts..
Old 10-24-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
I think the actual FLA law states 19.6
What law is states 19.6 ?
Old 10-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Sage

That's why I said I think and put a ? on the end of the sentence (although you left that out of my quote). I thought I remembered that somewhere. And I said for someone to correct me if I was wrong!!!

Maybe I read it in a golf cart company's specifications for a particular model.

I have only found 20mph as the limit in writing.

Just a thought, not necessarily aimed at you Chacam: Why do we always need to split hairs on people's posts? 19.6 or 20 not a biggie. Let's concentrate on answering the original posters questions instead of being pedantic and going on tangents. Getting very tiresome and not fair to people who are just looking for some answers from the good folk on TOTV. Just my opinion.

Tony - please ban me know to protect me from myself

Last edited by Russ_Boston; 10-24-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Veteran member

If you want more information you can go to Florida Statues.

320.01 Definitions, general.--As used in the Florida Statutes, except as otherwise provided, the term:

(22) "Golf cart" means a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and that is not capable of exceeding speeds of 20 miles per hour.

(42) "Low-speed vehicle" means any four-wheeled electric vehicle whose top speed is greater than 20 miles per hour but not greater than 25 miles per hour, including neighborhood electric vehicles. Low-speed vehicles must comply with the safety standards in 49 C.F.R. s. 571.500 and s. 316.2122

Referencing the above statue what classification would you put a golf cart in that has been altered to go more than 20 miles per hour and does not meet the requirements to be classified as an LSV?
Old 10-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halle View Post
Referencing the above statue what classification would you put a golf cart in that has been altered to go more than 20 miles per hour and does not meet the requirements to be classified as an LSV?

I think it is that class that police officers have been cracking down on by giving unregistered vehicle tickets for carts that exceed 20mph but to not abide by the street legal guidelines (registration, safety equip etc.).

Thanks for the info on the actual FLA law.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.