Golf cart insurance....and your umbrella policy

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Sage
Default Golf cart insurance....and your umbrella policy

Something you might want to check on if you have a golf cart insured and also have a Personal Liability/Umbrella insurance policy:

I ran into an issue when recently checking on getting a golf cart insured in TV. Turns out the coverage we're getting for the golf cart needs to align with the underlying requirements for anything we want to have covered by our umbrella policy. Needless to say, it's been a bit confusing. It seemed simple enough up front: We could get the golf cart covered fairly inexpensively (<$100) via the new homeowner's insurance policy we are getting on the house we're purchasing. I wanted to get the H.O. policy through State Farm as that's who we've got insuring everything else we've got....in Ohio. Unfortunately, S.F. is no longer writing any more new homeowner's policies in FL so we had to go elsewhere for the H.O. policy. The catch to the whole thing is getting the proper coverage on the golf cart so that it satisfies the underlying requirements for it to be able to fall under the umbrella policy as well. At the end of the day, it's costing us more for the golf cart insurance than what I anticipated....but it is going to satisfy what S.F. needs to have.

Moral of the story: If you have an umbrella policy, check with that company to make sure your golf cart coverage meets their underlying requirements. Otherwise, your umbrella policy won't come in to play in the event of a problem involving your golf cart.

Bill
Old 12-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I would highly recommend you NOT include your golf art under a homeowners policy. If you are dealing with an agent in OHIO, most likely than not they think you are ONLY driving the golf cart to and from the golf course and on the course itself...not on streets or multi-modal roadways. Alot of insurance agencies will rate the golf cart like an additional car rather than a recreational vehicle.

If you have an umbrella policy donot assume the golf cart coverage would automatically be covered.....you already found this out.

Bottom line I would recommend you deal with agents familiar with how golf carts are used and insured here in The Villages...then go from there!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
I would highly recommend you NOT include your golf art under a homeowners policy. If you are dealing with an agent in OHIO, most likely than not they think you are ONLY driving the golf cart to and from the golf course and on the course itself...not on streets or multi-modal roadways. Alot of insurance agencies will rate the golf cart like an additional car rather than a recreational vehicle.

If you have an umbrella policy donot assume the golf cart coverage would automatically be covered.....you already found this out.

Bottom line I would recommend you deal with agents familiar with how golf carts are used and insured here in The Villages...then go from there!
Thanks - got the golf cart insurance written through a local State Farm agent in TV. Probably should have mentioned that in the original post.

Bill
Old 03-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Default Umbrella policy and golf cart coverage

When I transferred my auto insurance policy and umbrella policy from State Farm NJ to State Farm FL. I was informed that I would have to raise liability on auto to 250,000/500,00. from 100,000/300,00. Actually the policy was a couple of dollars less here as compared to NJ. However, I also had to increase
the coverage on the golf cart to 250,000/500,000. This was to satisfy the requirements of the umbrella policy. The policy increased about $10.00 to about $114.

The biggest jump was in the umbrella policy....from $208.00-$329.00. Go figure. At any rate you need all the insurance you can afford to protect yourself in Florida ..... since so many people are without or have minimal insurance.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Gold member

Hi- we are in the same situation. State Farm insured everything in NM, but not writing home in FLorida. We have our home insurance now through the villages insurance, asi, I think. We most likely can get our auto insurance still through state farm. HOW are you getting an umbrella policy with house and autos being covered by different companies, are does the umbrella not cover houses? Did i just answer my own question?? LOL
Old 03-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Sage

State Farm's umbrella policy will cover your personal liability associated with the house, even though they didn't write the homeowner's policy for it, provided the H.O. policy meets the underlying coverage requirements that they (S.F.) have in place. I believe adding that liability coverage for the house will increase your umbrella policy premium.

Essentially, the umbrella policy will pay off on any personal liability that is beyond what is met by the base coverage(s) in the H.O. policy. Hence S.F.'s requirement that their underlying coverage parameters be met. So you'd have to check with your S.F. agent and see if the ASI policy meets their parameters.

Incidentally, it's not required to have your umbrella policy cover the house. In that instance, anything you could be held liable for from a personal standpoint that would be associated with the house would not be covered by S.F.'s umbrella policy. Same thing with your golf cart - if you didn't want it to be under the umbrella policy, then you can get whatever limits and types of insurance coverage you'd like.....but that insurance coverage would be the extent of the liability coverage you'd have related to the cart.

Hope that makes sense!!

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.