The Villages - political leanings, censorship

Old 12-01-2011, 11:00 AM
n/a

Default The Villages - political leanings, censorship

The thing I hate most about TV is the censorship. They censor the news you read, the movies you see, the books you read, the rallys you can attend, etc. Be forewarned if contemplating moving here, living in TV is like attending Liberty University.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:36 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
The thing I hate most about TV is the censorship. They censor the news you read, the movies you see, the books you read, the rallys you can attend, etc. Be forewarned if contemplating moving here, living in TV is like attending Liberty University.
I think you might be a........................Democrat?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:46 AM
n/a

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think you might be a........................Democrat?
You just made my point better than I could.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:12 PM
n/a

Default Censorship

Quote:
Ok...really not getting that. Are you not allowed to leave The Villages??? Are there no other theaters or bookstores, can you not subscribe to any other newspapers? Does the local Target only carry books approved by TV? Does the local cable channel refuse to show any national newscasts?? Once you enter the gates, are you prohibited from leaving??? Maybe the overall attitude of TV is conservative but for pete's sake...we're talking about a neighborhood here...a neighborhood that you chose to live in...it's not a walled city.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:23 PM
n/a

Janmcn: I hear your free speech loud and clear.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:09 PM
n/a

Default Huh?

Quote:
I enjoy listening/reading all sides of the forum, then making an "informed" choice and, for me that choice includes a little of this and a little of that. I plan to live in The Villages, and very much look forward to it, but certainly don't see anything wrong with wanting to have more then one view presented. Why should anyone have to go outside The Villages to get their intellectual stimulation? With a population of over 80,000 people certain there has to be another point of view.

I guess, I just don't fit a mold. But... it is what it is.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 PM
n/a

Quote:
Guess I do not understand your analogy?

Liberty University Quick Facts
Institutional Type The University is a religiously-oriented, private, co-educational, comprehensive institution
Motto "Knowledge Aflame"
Location Lynchburg, Virginia
Founded 1971
Campus Over 6,500-acre campus
Over 4 million sq. feet of building space
166 buildings
215 classrooms

Enrollment Residential enrollment: 12,560
Online enrollment: over 61,000
Total enrollment: exceeds 73,000

Academic Programs 148 Total residential and online undergraduate programs
87 Total residential and online graduate areas of study
11 Total online doctoral programs representing 4 major areas (Counseling, Education, Ministry, Theology & Apologetics)
Liberty University School of Law
Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary

Student Profile Residential: 49% Male, 51% Female
Online: 41% Male, 59% Female
56.1% of Resident students live on campus; 43.9% commute
The student body represents all 50 states (and Washington, D.C.) and over 70 countries
Resident students volunteer 586,262 hours each year in the community and on campus

Faculty Profile 23:1 Student/professor ratio
More than 2,000 full and part-time faculty
70% Full-time faculty hold terminal degrees

Athletics 20 NCAA Division I Athletic programs
29 Club Sports
20 Intramural Sports

Technology 95% wireless coverage campus wide
99% Technology-enabled classrooms
Over 450 computers in 16 classroom labs and over 350 computers in various open computing spaces across campus

Library 131,000 Electronic full-text books
67,000 Electronic full-text journals
315,000 Print and media items

Tuition/Room & Board/Fees $25,834 approximate annual undergraduate resident cost including tuition, mandatory fees and housing
Old 12-01-2011, 02:14 PM
n/a

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
Ok...really not getting that. Are you not allowed to leave The Villages??? Are there no other theaters or bookstores, can you not subscribe to any other newspapers? Does the local Target only carry books approved by TV? Does the local cable channel refuse to show any national newscasts?? Once you enter the gates, are you prohibited from leaving??? Maybe the overall attitude of TV is conservative but for pete's sake...we're talking about a neighborhood here...a neighborhood that you chose to live in...it's not a walled city.
As long as you realize before you move here that you will have to travel 30 to 50 miles to see a movie of your choice. Or that you will be forcibly removed by the sheriff for attending a public event with the Florida governor if you are of the wrong political persuasion. A sheriff, who supposedly is a public servant paid by all the people. Just a heads up.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:15 PM
n/a

I'm a conservative but I believe in live and let live. The thing that amazes me about liberals is that they LOVE to tell everyone else how to live their lives, whether it's too much salt, smoking, fast food, etc. etc. But when they're a minority member in a mostly conservative population, they are the first to complain about being uncomfortable. If they're not happy in TV, please move back to Chicago, NYC or Philly.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:12 PM
n/a

Quote:
As long as you realize before you move here that you will have to travel 30 to 50 miles to see a movie of your choice. Or that you will be forcibly removed by the sheriff for attending a public event with the Florida governor if you are of the wrong political persuasion. A sheriff, who supposedly is a public servant paid by all the people. Just a heads up.
janmcn - any movie theatre i have ever patronized always selected the movie[s] that was/were being shown. this is the same for the movie theatre in the town where i grew up to the towns i lived in and to the towns where i vacation.

where do you go that you can see the movie of your choice? i only get to do that at a video store or netflix or my comcast on demand. and even with those resources, i am limited to the movies that are available from those providers. would love to know where you have selection and availability.

am sure someone will correct me if i am wrong - but haven't there been meetings in the villages for the marion or sumter county democratic clubs?
Old 12-01-2011, 04:22 PM
n/a

Quote:
Or that you will be forcibly removed by the sheriff for attending a public event with the Florida governor if you are of the wrong political persuasion. A sheriff, who supposedly is a public servant paid by all the people. Just a heads up.
Oh, now I know what your post is about. All that other exaggeration kind of bluurred the real reason for your gripe.

I think you are free to move about and just like a true liberal, you jumped into something before you know what it is then work it out later. Sounds like Pelosi, "Lets vote on the bill so we can see what's in it" or something real close to that.

I don't live there yet. I hpoe to some day soon. I visit there and my parents live there and are both Obama lovers and they love it there.

I guess if you went there to be in a political camp, you are in the wrong camp but I don't think that that is what TV is about.
Enjoy, it is just politics.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:27 PM
n/a

I can understand someone who is not in the "right wing" camp being uncomfortable with the politics of the developer, but it is their shop and they can display the merchandise they want. With all due respect, it is not a police state and you have freedom to go as you please.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:31 PM
n/a

So why do I love it here so much? OMG, whats wrong with me?
Old 12-01-2011, 05:49 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum;42***8
janmcn - any movie theatre i have ever patronized always selected the movie[s] that was/were being shown. this is the same for the movie theatre in the town where i grew up to the towns i lived in and to the towns where i vacation.

where do you go that you can see the movie of your choice? i only get to do that at a video store or netflix or my comcast on demand. and even with those resources, i am limited to the movies that are available from those providers. would love to know where you have selection and availability.

am sure someone will correct me if i am wrong - but haven't there been meetings in the villages for the marion or sumter county democratic clubs?
Please stop confusing liberals with the facts. It is only feelings and intentions that count. Don't you understand that?
Old 12-01-2011, 05:57 PM
n/a

political leanings (again)? Censorship, no choice for movies and what ever else was included in this negative, baiting post.

There are no more "restrictions" here than in any other city one would/could choose.

Did you check out the political leanings of where ever it is you live now?

Smells like chum to me!!

btk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.