Battery Minder for golf cart?

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Veteran member
Default Battery Minder for golf cart?

I have an EZ Go 2007 Electric Golf cart. Went to an EZ Go dealer and they suggested getting a Battery Minder for $200.00 because my batteries will probably not last for over a year. This purchase will extend the life of my batteries. Yikes, that's a lot of money. Do I really need this? I have an all fill water system and this purchase will bring the acid levels up to the top. I'm a bit naive with this subject. Help! Any opinions?

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 01-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Default Battery Minder

Tweety, PM me and I can go over all your question.... I have one on my cart now.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:13 PM

mrdills - I was wondering if you would care to share your experiences with others on this board? I'm thinking that many, including me, have concerns with their batteries. I'd like to know if the claims of the benefits of this device are true or at least close to true.

By the way, I saw this device online for $140 + $5 shipping.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety Bird View Post
I have an EZ Go 2007 Electric Golf cart. Went to an EZ Go dealer and they suggested getting a Battery Minder for $200.00 because my batteries will probably not last for over a year. This purchase will extend the life of my batteries. Yikes, that's a lot of money. Do I really need this? I have an all fill water system and this purchase will bring the acid levels up to the top. I'm a bit naive with this subject. Help! Any opinions?
If the batteries were installed in 2007 they must be on their last legs and a battery minder will not help. If they are new they should last three plus years.

Before paying $200.00 for a battery minder I suggest Googling batteryminder and seeing what is available.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Veteran member

Yes, my batteries are brand new now but the store suggested that the battery minder would make the batteries stronger and last longer. I'm not sure what to believe. ;-)

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, my batteries are brand new now but the store suggested that the battery minder would make the batteries stronger and last longer. I'm not sure what to believe. ;-)
I have read alot of opinions and folks experiences with various desulphators and I agree with you. I do not know what to believe . At the moment my opinion is that you can do as well by understanding how to properly maintain the battery pack, i.e., charging, watering, not discharging too deeply, etc.

Keep in mind my opinion is free and you get what you pay for.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Sounds like BS. If you do not mind sharing, what EZGO dealer recommended this?

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
You can believe that it will be a big profit maker for the dealer and not help your batteries at all.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Sage
Default Another day.... another thought

I re-read my post from last night and wanted to add some clarification. I am not in the camp that believes this is complete snake oil.

Sulfation of the batteries is what us electric cart folks are trying to prevent by good maintenance. There are many smart people that believe these desulfator products will in fact help prevent sulfation over time which leads to extended battery life. I have yet to cross that bridge for the $150+.

I have experimented with another desulphator product trying to "revive" a four year old pack last year. I did NOT see any positive signs from that test.

I have never read of this product hurting a new pack, so if you get a good price, I say why not? What is the harm except you are out $150. Always remember, these products do NOT replace good maintenance. Part of good maintenance is to not discharge your pack so deeply that the get damaged. There was a post in the last couple of weeks on extending battery life which I cannot find which summarized good maintenance nicely.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Default BatteryMINDer recommendation from EZ-GO dealer

Why would a dealer of golf cars risk his hard earned reputation recommending a less than $200 product he thinks will help extend battery life and performance?
Answer: He wouldn't.
The BatteryMINDer is guaranteed by the manufacturer (VDC electronics) for 1year or they will send you a check for the full amount you paid the dealer. In addition many of the dealers who handle the BatteryMINDER will also guarantee your money back within one year. Add 5 year 100% parts and labor warranty and it sounds to me like a "no brainier"
Remember this product can also be left connected safely for months, unattended to keep batteries from dying due to sulfate buildup.
Note:
The Villages Golf Car Stores (3) BatteryWeb in Leesburg and BatteryBoys in Oxford also recommend BatteryMINDer.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
Sounds like BS. If you do not mind sharing, what EZGO dealer recommended this?
villages golf cart man (something like that) on the pre-historic side

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 01-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Veteran member
Default Pre-historic

Pre-historic side? Is that where the dinosaurs are?

I agreee with AJ and his Disciples...
Old 01-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Default BatteryMINDer

If anyone is interested in learning more about the BatteryMINDer we can all try and get a room in The Villages to discuss the product. If you are interested in this idea please leave me a post.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Gold member
Default From the Get Go

Car, Boat, Cart is does not matter. If it sits for more than a day it needs a battery tender.

If the batterys are not driven with a battery healthy lifecycle they need a battery tender.

Not a charger, trickle charger but a smart charger or a smart tender, There are several models out there.

The tenders have the ability to measure the capacity of the battery plates the open cell state of charge and then charge the battery plates with the corect voltage and amperage.

All I know is they work they are not snake oil they do enhance and or replace a on board charger. And on line are much cheaper!

Herv
Old 01-20-2012, 05:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
Car, Boat, Cart is does not matter. If it sits for more than a day it needs a battery tender.

If the batterys are not driven with a battery healthy lifecycle they need a battery tender.

Not a charger, trickle charger but a smart charger or a smart tender, There are several models out there.

The tenders have the ability to measure the capacity of the battery plates the open cell state of charge and then charge the battery plates with the corect voltage and amperage.

All I know is they work they are not snake oil they do enhance and or replace a on board charger. And on line are much cheaper!

Herv

This is the main reason I have considered finding "smart tender" for my carts instead of having someone come by weekly in my absense. You feel like sharing the models you have experience with?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.