pinellas place sinkhole?

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2013, 07:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

omitted

Last edited by skip0358; 05-08-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Omitted
Old 05-08-2013, 08:01 AM
Sage

We each have our own level of comfort when it comes to these issues - I believe it is presumptous to tell someone else to relax where their home or safety is of concern to them. No one is twisting anyone else's arm to post on this topic - so maybe you should relax!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:02 AM
Default Sinkhole repair

Of course we are concerned about this. I have tried to educate myself about the nature and problems that a nearby sinkhole could present to us in the future. After days of reading and searching, I have no more usable information than I did when I started. I did find some informative information on Lake Co web site.
We also have been in contact with The Villages Sales Office and was told that we will have the full report from the Sinkhole Repair Contractors before we close on the 21st.
From all that I am reading about Sinkholes, I am encouraged that the kind of problems that are created by the ones in this area are not a problem after they are repaired.
AND as for someone telling me to relax! I assume that YOU cannot see this from Your Front door,
Old 05-08-2013, 08:41 AM
KatieDidNot

ClydeT

I actually know quite a bit about sinkholes believe it or not, and although most of them are not serious issues, you just never know. So, I understand your concerns.

I try to just stay out of all the sinkhole discussions, because most are filled with fear and inadequate information. And honestly, I have better things to discuss than the "what ifs" and I think it is the responsibility of the owner to educate themselves. Florida has sinkholes, it is a fact and you just never know where they are going to pop up...I might have one pop up this Summer. There are entire communities on the Gulf Coast that have homes with sinkhole repairs.

You did the right thing by talking directly to the sales office, because the are required to disclose. I did this before I bought...I found them very forthcoming and honest brokers. They were very well informed and they had no idea I was already informed about sinkholes. Make sure you are talking to a manager vs. one of the sales people.

Talking to TV is always a better option than discussing this on this board, IMHO, if you are purchasing one of the homes near the sinkhole. Also talk to your insurance agent. If you are at all concerned, after you talk to the proper authorities, I would reconsider the purchase.

And, if anyone bashes me over this post, I would like to respectfully warn you that I might have woken up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, so please don't.

Good Luck, I hope you get you answers soon.

Katie
Old 05-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think he meant it kindly.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:56 AM

I did not intend to offend anyone, I would hope that regardless of where these problems occur that we would all be a little concerned. I hope that this forum will be instrumental in helping us to all relax. We can do this by sharing real facts and less unproven assumptions.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieDidNot View Post
ClydeT

I actually know quite a bit about sinkholes believe it or not, and although most of them are not serious issues, you just never know. So, I understand your concerns.

I try to just stay out of all the sinkhole discussions, because most are filled with fear and inadequate information. And honestly, I have better things to discuss than the "what ifs" and I think it is the responsibility of the owner to educate themselves. Florida has sinkholes, it is a fact and you just never know where they are going to pop up...I might have one pop up this Summer. There are entire communities on the Gulf Coast that have homes with sinkhole repairs.

You did the right thing by talking directly to the sales office, because the are required to disclose. I did this before I bought...I found them very forthcoming and honest brokers. They were very well informed and they had no idea I was already informed about sinkholes. Make sure you are talking to a manager vs. one of the sales people.

Talking to TV is always a better option than discussing this on this board, IMHO, if you are purchasing one of the homes near the sinkhole. Also talk to your insurance agent. If you are at all concerned, after you talk to the proper authorities, I would reconsider the purchase.

And, if anyone bashes me over this post, I would like to respectfully warn you that I might have woken up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, so please don't.

Good Luck, I hope you get you answers soon.

Katie
No bashes from me Katie. Please accept this smile and a little hug.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think he meant it kindly.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall inherit the earth. Gracie, you are wonderful.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Hickerson View Post
Well, here I am in San Diego, packing all my worldly belongings, excitedly awaiting my move to TV, 9 more days to go!!! I log on and the first thing I see is the post about a sink hole near Yearling Way. I JUST CLOSED on my new home on Yearling Way!

If anyone has any additional information pertaining to location, size, severity, etc., let's have it. Please. I am not going to panic just yet, but I sure hope I have a home to unpack all this stuff in!

Let me know if anyone has any more details. Ignorance is not bliss, at least not for me! LOL
Jan if you would like me to go over and take some pix for you, send your address to tangogainesville@gmail.com.
Kitty
Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde t View Post
Of course we are concerned about this. I have tried to educate myself about the nature and problems that a nearby sinkhole could present to us in the future. After days of reading and searching, I have no more usable information than I did when I started. I did find some informative information on Lake Co web site.
We also have been in contact with The Villages Sales Office and was told that we will have the full report from the Sinkhole Repair Contractors before we close on the 21st.
From all that I am reading about Sinkholes, I am encouraged that the kind of problems that are created by the ones in this area are not a problem after they are repaired.
AND as for someone telling me to relax! I assume that YOU cannot see this from Your Front door,
Clyde sent you a PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Rode by on my bike this AM. There are injection pipes all around just 1 house on Useepa including one in the driveway in front of the garage. There is NO HOLE. It appears that the sluree is or was being pumped in the ground. Nobody was working at the time I was there so I couldn't get an update. So if anyone is in that area and sees someone working just stop and ask and report back.
Was there a couple of days ago on our way to view some lots. We stopped by and the worker washing the street down of overflow slurry called it a "washout", like a depression. There was NO HOLE. Just a small area (maybe 4 x 15) between the two homes that had a drop of about 6" - 12". We did not see any damage to either home. It was between the two homes and in front of them by the driveway. He said some of that was caused though by the equipment driving on it.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Sage

And this man has all the facts and is to be believed - I don't think so. Would want something in writing from the developer before I closed on either of those homes.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
And this man has all the facts and is to be believed - I don't think so. Would want something in writing from the developer before I closed on either of those homes.
And if you read he will receive just that because it is the LAW
Old 05-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
We each have our own level of comfort when it comes to these issues - I believe it is presumptous to tell someone else to relax where their home or safety is of concern to them. No one is twisting anyone else's arm to post on this topic - so maybe you should relax!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Exactly.

While it's usually humorous, in a shake the head and chuckle kind of way, this childish belief that everything is always great here....can also get inane.

This is one of those times.

My suggestion Jan, is to demand the developer give you (in writing) all of the information about what is happening and what mitigation will take place.

At least that way, you will either be able to sleep better.....or make up your mind if you want to pursue it further.

Hopefully, it's nothing.......and you will have a smooth move.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.