What are the advantages for a single in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2014, 12:02 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts
Default What are the advantages for a single in TV?

As a long time single now 72 years of age seriously considering relocating to The Villages I am curious about how singles now residing in TV feel about their lives in TV versus in their hometowns. Was it worth the move? How so?

What I have felt during several visits to TV is a warm sense of close (but not closed) community. Singles in TV not only frequently socialize but look after one another. Everyone has moved from somewhere else and seems to be open to meeting new people and developing new friendships. In my hometown social groups are pretty much long term and fixed in place. I have long term friendships but it can be difficult to develop many new ones other than by joining large church groups.

I am not asking for anything personal, just general thoughtful observations.

Thank you!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-26-2014, 09:53 PM
Sage

well, i came to a realization this summer while visiting my daughter and family....there i am grandma, the old person....here i am chachacha, a "hot chick" by our standards i feel like i am still leading an active and relevant life. heck, Maybe even thought i was a celebrity! i am sure every person our age can appreciate being among peers no matter what their interests happen to be.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to the square

Manaboutown, when you figure out what that "chachacha" post is all about let me know.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
As a long time single now 72 years of age seriously considering relocating to The Villages I am curious about how singles now residing in TV feel about their lives in TV versus in their hometowns. Was it worth the move? How so?

What I have felt during several visits to TV is a warm sense of close (but not closed) community. Singles in TV not only frequently socialize but look after one another. Everyone has moved from somewhere else and seems to be open to meeting new people and developing new friendships. In my hometown social groups are pretty much long term and fixed in place. I have long term friendships but it can be difficult to develop many new ones other than by joining large church groups.

I am not asking for anything personal, just general thoughtful observations.

Thank you!
Manabouttown, great post!! Did not expect to be moving to The Villages as a single but have recently become a widower. Bought a home July of 13 expecting to move down retired together. Now I will be moving down single summer of 15. Hoping there is a welcoming community for a 61 year old.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:32 AM

No one can plan the loss of a spouse. I moved down her and also lost my best friend.

But there are all kinds of groups for socializing (village single baby boomers & village singles)

There is music everywhere. women love to dance. Meet and greet
Old 11-27-2014, 07:56 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the square View Post
Manaboutown, when you figure out what that "chachacha" post is all about let me know.

Don't be a seat

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 11-27-2014, 10:02 AM
Sage

don't know what was not understandable about my post except that Maybe is one of the posters who told me he thought i was a celebrity i thought that was funny! my point was that among our peers we are still relevant, but when thrown in with the regular world we are only looked upon as old people. if we were in an oriental culture where age is revered, that might be different.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Sage

Moving down to TV has been a great experience from the cold northeast. Some parts of upper Westchester County, in New York, had several inches of snow yesterday. I mentioned the snowfall to a friend today and the horrors of TV people having to wear a jacket today, when out and about. He replied, OH NO!!!!!! It's too early for snow, even up, here!

It's a chance to make new friends and relationships because "it takes time to grow old friends". I still have kept my friendships of 35 years plus, and enjoy many new friends.

If a person is somewhat outgoing, making friends is easy. You'll find that many people are good people and want to share their life experience, with like minded people. After all, we all have been around the block once or twice.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-27-2014, 10:54 AM
Platinum member

I moved here because I was single. Back home most of my friends were married and my social options were limited. I tried joining meet-up groups with limited results. Here, I can be as busy as I want. If I want to go to a movie I can go with Sumter Singles movie and dinner night. They have hiking activities, golf, parties, etc. so you don't have to feel odd attending alone. There are clubs for everything you can think of. I was really worried about becoming more reclusive in my old age....I saw my mother isolate herself and did not want to be that way. There are also lots of volunteer opportunities if you are so inclined. There's really too many things...I haven't even scratched the surface after being here a year.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:25 AM
Thumbs up Great responses

Chachacha, your response was understood perfectly. Living with my peers is what I am looking forward to. Don't know if TV will work out for me when I'm ready to move, but living in an active 55+ is a priority for me.

I'm thrilled you are enjoying your celebrity status - live like a queen beautiful lady!

Visited The Villages in Oct., '09
Working on making it permanent.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Thank you all for responding.

A few years ago I started being addressed as "Sir" when meeting or talking with younger adults and renamed "Grandpa" from "Dad" by my son so I can relate to what Chax3 wrote.

During my visits to TV I went alone into different restaurants to eat and struck up conversations whenever I could. It almost felt like a class reunion! The folks I met, single or married, wanted to talk, share experiences. We could all relate to one another somehow. I felt very welcome.

It appears to me there is no reason to be lonely or get bored in TV with so many available companionable folks around, scheduled activities, informal get togethers and clubs. Too, most destinations are readily accessible by golf cart.

I was happy to read 2BNTV has been able to satisfactorily maintain his longterm friendships. I fear losing some of mine if I move away. Of course, as he also mentions new friendships are waiting in TV!

My current situation is like that expressed by Bonnievie before she moved to TV, most of my friends are married and my social options are limited. They invite me over and we do some things together but I sometimes feel like a third or fifth wheel. I did not feel that way at all in TV, even among the married people I met.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Veteran member

manaboutown, from what I know of you on TOTV, you're an inveterate raconteur and bon vivant. I would not hesitate to bet cash money that you would settle in and be leading the parades in no time.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:10 PM
Platinum member

and your friends from where you live now can come and visit....if you have any doubts whey not rent for awhile?
Old 11-27-2014, 09:29 PM

I relate to you all, coming here a widow and feeling so lost back home, 5th wheel, etc. Now I have options, a great home and great friends. This is a lifestyle worth moving to and a winner climate. I do stay indoors more in the hot humid summer but less than when I had to stay indoors to be warm up north. My fuel bills are WAY less as are my taxes. I miss my kids more but we talk, text and they come here escaping the cold.

Now I'm throwing parties to play games with friends and newbies. I could barely get the gang up north to play the occasional game of cards. This works for me and I bet you'd find plenty to do and like here also. When you come down, be sure to meet up with us ;-)
Old 11-27-2014, 09:50 PM

Being single here in TV you do not have to feel like an outsider at all. There are so many single clubs and events that life here s a single is better to anywhere else .. And yes chachacha is a celebrity and works hard to make new singles feel welcomed and part of the community
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.