Anyone not wanting California Chrome to win?

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

In 1973, Big Red beat 12 horses in the Derby. He beat 6 horses in the Preakness, of which only 2 were in the Derby, and he beat 4 horses in the Belmont of which only one was in both the Derby and the Preakness and two were in the Preakness. What I see as the big difference is that California Chrome had to compete in the Belmont against 10 other horses versus the 4 other horses that Big Red had to beat. Of course, had he been able to run the Belmont in 2:24 it wouldn't have mattered how many horses were racing against him.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:50 AM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
In 1973, Big Red beat 12 horses in the Derby. He beat 6 horses in the Preakness, of which only 2 were in the Derby, and he beat 4 horses in the Belmont of which only one was in both the Derby and the Preakness and two were in the Preakness. What I see as the big difference is that California Chrome had to compete in the Belmont against 10 other horses versus the 4 other horses that Big Red had to beat. Of course, had he been able to run the Belmont in 2:24 it wouldn't have mattered how many horses were racing against him.
Barry, whether Big Red competed against 4 horses, 11 horses, or 20 horses in the Belmont it would not have made a difference. The '73 Belmont has gone down in history as the greatest thoroughbred race ever and will continue that way forever IMHO.
We are merely comparing a really good runner (Calif. Chrome) to perhaps the greatest runner of all time.
Just boggles my mind that this owner of CC could mouth off so badly in front of the entire world at probably the worst possible time. He will come to understand that his theory is so very wrong.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:23 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy and al View Post
Barry, whether Big Red competed against 4 horses, 11 horses, or 20 horses in the Belmont it would not have made a difference. The '73 Belmont has gone down in history as the greatest thoroughbred race ever and will continue that way forever IMHO.
We are merely comparing a really good runner (Calif. Chrome) to perhaps the greatest runner of all time.
Just boggles my mind that this owner of CC could mouth off so badly in front of the entire world at probably the worst possible time. He will come to understand that his theory is so very wrong.
I agree with you. That's why I said that if chrome had run the race in 2:24 like big red did, it wouldn't have mattered. I was just responding to the people that think the same horses should run in all three races. That didn't happen in 1973 either. Chrome is a good horse, but not great. I doubt if we will ever see the combination of great speed and great endurance that we saw in Secretariat.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
I agree with you. That's why I said that if chrome had run the race in 2:24 like big red did, it wouldn't have mattered. I was just responding to the people that think the same horses should run in all three races. That didn't happen in 1973 either. Chrome is a good horse, but not great. I doubt if we will ever see the combination of great speed and great endurance that we saw in Secretariat.
I agree 100%. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:56 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
I also believe the horses should have to have raced in the first 2 races to be eligible to race in the Belmont. That would make it a fair and true TRIPLE CROWN race.

My thoughts only.
I agree with you.

Which means that only the top 10 (or is it 12) in NASCAR should run in the last race for the championship.

I think they do it for golf and the Million dollar prize at the end of the golf year. Only the winners play. But I could be wrong. Nothing new.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Platinum member

I didn't see the race but from what I've read/heard CA Chrome was injured out of the starting gate.

To compare this "sport" to NASCAR or golf is IMO just wrong. If you push too hard in NASCAR you end up with what, a blown engine? Push too hard for the triple crown in racing you have Barbaro.

I was at the Belmont when Charismatic broke down, haven't been since, will never go back. To me the entire thing is sickening. The betting is sickening, you want to gamble put your money on a hand of cards, play a slot machine, buy a lotto ticket but don't bet on the life of a living animal.

After Barbaro was put down Bo Derek was on a talk show (maybe Larry King) and she said she'd been to the winners circle many times and the horses don't have a mark on the. You know what, maybe she should have walked a little further to the losers circle... saw the scars from pin firing, saw the bowed tendons, the horses standing in buckets of ice.

This is nothing like NASCAR or golf.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
I didn't see the race but from what I've read/heard CA Chrome was injured out of the starting gate.

To compare this "sport" to NASCAR or golf is IMO just wrong. If you push too hard in NASCAR you end up with what, a blown engine? Push too hard for the triple crown in racing you have Barbaro.

I was at the Belmont when Charismatic broke down, haven't been since, will never go back. To me the entire thing is sickening. The betting is sickening, you want to gamble put your money on a hand of cards, play a slot machine, buy a lotto ticket but don't bet on the life of a living animal.

After Barbaro was put down Bo Derek was on a talk show (maybe Larry King) and she said she'd been to the winners circle many times and the horses don't have a mark on the. You know what, maybe she should have walked a little further to the losers circle... saw the scars from pin firing, saw the bowed tendons, the horses standing in buckets of ice.

Well said. Thank you. The whole thing is barbaric.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:

Patty: Your comments are right on and I was about to post exactly the same thing as it pertains to comparing NASCAR, golf, or any other sport to horse racing. Since Sat. we've been hearing all of the comments of mostly non-going track people who compare the rules and regulations of horse racing to any other sport. Sorry, can't happen.
I assume from the terms that you use in your post that you have experience in the thoroughbred racing industry and your comments are well taken. However I believe horse racing is here to stay for a long while--as is NASCAR, golf, baseball, basketball and football.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charismatic_(horse)

Good to hear about your experience at the Belmont. It looks like the jockey saved Charismatic's life by holding him back.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:

My comment had nothing to do with comparing horse racing to NASCAR or GOLF. I was merely agreeing with a comment by Biker Dog that the horses in the triple crown should have to race in all legs of the triple crown. Winning the last leg without racing in the other two is like putting in a spoiler in the race.

Z

Old 06-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
My comment had nothing to do with comparing horse racing to NASCAR or GOLF. I was merely agreeing with a comment by Biker Dog that the horses in the triple crown should have to race in all legs of the triple crown. Winning the last leg without racing in the other two is like putting in a spoiler in the race.

Z
This is not directed at you, just my opinion.

Maybe instead of worrying about setting records and who is a "spoiler" the focus should be on the well being of the animal.

I could be wrong, but I believe that the last match race was Ruffian's. I don't think it was outlawed, it just isn't done.

Currently, you must win all three races to win the triple crown. So, how would this work? You don't win the first two so you scratch the Belmont rather than risk your horse. I'm not getting this.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
This is not directed at you, just my opinion.

Maybe instead of worrying about setting records and who is a "spoiler" the focus should be on the well being of the animal.

I could be wrong, but I believe that the last match race was Ruffian's. I don't think it was outlawed, it just isn't done.

Currently, you must win all three races to win the triple crown. So, how would this work? You don't win the first two so you scratch the Belmont rather than risk your horse. I'm not getting this.
Churchill is all qualifiers. Preakness is the best 15. Belmont is the best 10. Winner is the winner. If he wins all three he is the triple crown winner. If not, we don't have a triple crown winner.

It is a matter of elimination.

Z

Old 06-10-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
Churchill is all qualifiers. Preakness is the best 15. Belmont is the best 10. Winner is the winner. If he wins all three he is the triple crown winner. If not, we don't have a triple crown winner.

It is a matter of elimination.

Z
Although your theory may be correct I believe under this system you would probably have a Belmont field of maybe 3 or 4 runners. Due to a number of reasons all horses from the Derby might not run (or want to run) in the Preakness and not all horses from the Preakness would wind up attempting a 1 1/2 mile race in NY.
As I mentioned in a previous post I am sure that the current structure for triple crown entries will be in place for a long period of time. Just my opinion.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Platinum member

And with this scenario, the purses would be nothing, wagering would be down-everybody loves a longshot. Maybe we could turn it into bragging rights contest-that would work for me, my distaste for the "sport" is when the money comes into it.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.