Is Golf Dying?

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
I read somewhere that young people today average a 50 hour work week. If you add in the cost of play and time for family and other things they just don't have a lot of time. My son and his friends work 10 to 12 hour days 5 days a week and sometimes a half day on Sat. That doesn't leave time for a life let alone golf. He has clubs etc but makes it out only about 6 times a year. You don't really get into the game if you only play on vacation. Plus I think the guys in marriages now share the child rearing more than in the past as a lot of women work so no off with the guys playing golf every Sunday as was the norm when I was young.

All true. I am glad I got to live during the time when ladies and gentlemen played golf. And tennis. Living here is so nice. I think most people feel like the really rich used to feel.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
All true. I am glad I got to live during the time when ladies and gentlemen played golf. And tennis. Living here is so nice. I think most people feel like the really rich used to feel.
My new conclusion GG-----as long as you and I are alive, golf won't die. You, I and about a zillion others who posted on this thread.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:17 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
According to The National Golf Foundation, a Jupiter, Fla. consulting firm, Generation Y (18-34 year olds) played 6.4 million rounds of golf in 2014. This is one-third less than 20 years ago.

Does this mean that golf is "dying" in America? It sure sounds like it.
No .
Old 12-14-2015, 08:02 AM

There are to many golf courses in the U.S. I herd a report that t a huge number close every day. I read an article that stated Jack Nicklous does not have one course under design in the U.S., the same for Gary Player. Most course design is focused in Asia and other countries. Country clubs are offering special incentives to younger people to try and attract members.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoffh View Post
For many young people, golf is just too expensive. They can't afford houses, rents in major cities are out of sight and they've got student loans to pay off. Not every municipality offers public courses, and golf club memberships often require a hefty bond. I think it's really a matter of economics. Maybe when they reach their late 40s early 50s, it will be different.
Agree...
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, dying, years, one-third, sounds, america, ago, jupiter, fla, foundation, national, consulting, firm, olds, played, million, year, 18-34, generation, rounds

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.