Is Golf Dying?

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2015, 02:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

I think golf is fading somewhat but not dying anytime soon. Two areas I am familiar with are central Ohio and Myrtle Beach. In central Ohio a decade of so ago, there was a big push to build courses, public and private. The area became over saturated with nice courses. Today, public greens fees are very low, as is the demand for weekday tee times. And most country clubs with the exception of the very high end ones offer memberships for only the monthly minimum expense, and with no initiation fee.
In Myrtle Beach, the spring golf season used to be from February 1st to May 5th or so. It now is pretty much only mid March until the end of April. Fall season has dwindled down to mostly the month of October. One reason for the downfall is two major companies both independantly, then as one controlled thousands of hotel rooms and dozens of golf courses. They increased prices and sacrificed service. Didn't work, now Chinese investors are dominating the market there.
So, I think most if not all reasons given before my post are valid reasons for golf in general being in decline. But there also regional factors other than the economy that affects the golf industry.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:39 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Look at it this way. The popularity of golf is quite regional as well as economic. In our hometown, as you may know, Highland is always crowded, and Auburn CC is crowded with tournaments. It's also their bars that are the most crowded. Owasco CC is pretty empty, even on Saturday AM. We're down to about 108 golfing memberships. Maybe because it is double the cost, maybe because it's 9 holes.
Even if golf contracts nationally, I think a place like TV will continue to draw the golfers from all over, We're certainly at a competitive advantage for golf, if not real estate
Golfing eagles: I initially had written 4 paragraphs on this but decided against it and deleted them. Let me just say perhaps the better comparison is to compare TV with the surrounding area.

I played all those CC's you mentioned over the years.

My favorite places back home Doug's and Lasca's

Personal Best Regards:
Old 09-24-2015, 02:40 PM
Sage

I think if the game becomes less popular elsewhere, The Villages will become more popular because we have all these courses. I have met a lot of people that get hooked once they move down here. In time share they sell the dream. In The Villages you live the dream. Non-golfers will be even more attracted when they see their peers in the tv commercials walking and swinging and making it look easy. There is nothing intimidating about being a beginner down here so most won't quit.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Golfing eagles: I initially had written 4 paragraphs on this but decided against it and deleted them. Let me just say perhaps the better comparison is to compare TV with the surrounding area.

I played all those CC's you mentioned over the years.

My favorite places back home Doug's and Lasca's

Personal Best Regards:
It's hard to make that comparison since nothing really compares to TV. I think that is one reason we are insulated against a nationwide downward trend in the popularity of golf. Tiger's decline didn't help, maybe Jordan Spieth will revive some golfing fervor.
BTW , Doug's and Lasca's are still going strong, although Jimmy likes flying his helicopter more and more these days. He's also a regular at our member guest, I think he played with David May
Old 09-24-2015, 04:45 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

A lot of people in our area of Ohio are playing Frisbee golf. Does anyone play Frisbee golf in this area?
Old 09-24-2015, 04:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
A lot of people in our area of Ohio are playing Frisbee golf. Does anyone play Frisbee golf in this area?
I love you, neighbor. So no comment on this one. Neither about Frisbee or it's popularity in Ohio. Res ipsa loquitur

Sorry, just could not resist. So I guess the real answer to your question is NOT ME
Old 09-24-2015, 05:07 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Old 09-24-2015, 05:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I'll buy you one when we're both down there
Old 09-24-2015, 07:17 PM

If golf is a dying sport, it doesn't seem that way in TV. Golf is more expensive up North due to the very short seasons that you can play. At least here, you can spend a lot of time outdoors and being active. Great to be a senior.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

The advertising campaign, while we are young, was developed to encourage faster play and was supported by Nicklaus, Palmer and Player. There position was that today's generation will not spend 4 - 5 hours on anything unless there is something they get in return. The campaign came out after the CBS special on dying golf including the closing of many courses and contained the comments of the three legends. One of the points was that the costs to maintain and insure the courses continue to rise yet the public's search for a cheap course are at odds. The larger cup, the shorter tees were just a couple of their suggestions (ok, I can't remember the others). The game is generational and without incentive millennials just don't seem to have the interest.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-25-2015, 06:10 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
The advertising campaign, while we are young, was developed to encourage faster play and was supported by Nicklaus, Palmer and Player. There position was that today's generation will not spend 4 - 5 hours on anything unless there is something they get in return. The campaign came out after the CBS special on dying golf including the closing of many courses and contained the comments of the three legends. One of the points was that the costs to maintain and insure the courses continue to rise yet the public's search for a cheap course are at odds. The larger cup, the shorter tees were just a couple of their suggestions (ok, I can't remember the others). The game is generational and without incentive millennials just don't seem to have the interest.
All because golf lost over 5 million people during the last ten years.

Taylor Made (CEO) desperate to bring back golfers sponsored an event included some pro's to promote 15" putting holes. I foresee a lot of broken ankles .

Golf purist won't abide larger putting holes and attempts to make the game any less difficult...because that's the attraction as we are addicted to the agony of defeat and hoping for that moment of victory (the seldom struck pure shot).

And as nature intends as to TV, the growing annoyances are in direct proportion to the growing golf population .
Old 09-25-2015, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
Golf may not be their activity choice in the future. They don't like walking slowly and prefer more aggressive action. Some think that "cycling is the new golf." Bicycling is favored by younger people. It is a fast growing sport. Maybe in the future they could convert some of the golf cart trails to bicycle paths!

HOLD YOUR TONGUE! Stifle yourself. Someone bring me a glass of water.

OH my dear heavens. I am not going to be alright soon.

I don't even like to use cycling and golf in the same sentence. One thing for sure, golfers aren't high on endorphins and don't wear funny clothes. AND don't have to wear helmets..........yet. Until a certain newcomer begins to think someone might be hit by a ball.

Need coffee. BAD.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Golf is not a verb or a sport. Golf is a serial game whereby one is at the mercy of those ahead. Thus the 4 1/2 to 5 hour 18 hole rounds. TV is unique, in that you have many people who have nothing better to do than get out and attack that little ball on the buffet of all you can eat/play executive courses. We now have people with absolutely no idea what they are doing, filling out their score card on the green, cleaning their club and putting it in the bag at the green, slow walking to and from their cart, standing over a 20 foot putt for a couple of minutes, only to end up three or four putting, BSing for five minutes before each tee shot....and you end up with 1 1/2 hour to 2 hour par 3 rounds. And you wonder why golf is dying? I know, "what's the hurry, you're retired". What's the hurry? I'm getting old. I don't have that much time. That's the hurry. Why not promote match play. Much quicker; easily 9 holes in 50 minutes or less. It really is what golf used to be; a match. Stroke play has contributed to the slowness. I doubt many TVers ever tried match play.
There is one interesting golf thing I have seen. It is this golf scoring in which the players' scores are a composite of strokes and time. Not sure how it works, but the best scores are had by running to your ball. Won't work here; too many hip and knee replacements, but it may catch on with younger, more active people.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Slow play by beginners is mostly on the easier executive courses. The more difficult executive courses generally maintain a good pace of play. I see a good pace of play on the championship courses. Avoid the easier executive courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Golf is not a verb or a sport. Golf is a serial game whereby one is at the mercy of those ahead. Thus the 4 1/2 to 5 hour 18 hole rounds. TV is unique, in that you have many people who have nothing better to do than get out and attack that little ball on the buffet of all you can eat/play executive courses. We now have people with absolutely no idea what they are doing, filling out their score card on the green, cleaning their club and putting it in the bag at the green, slow walking to and from their cart, standing over a 20 foot putt for a couple of minutes, only to end up three or four putting, BSing for five minutes before each tee shot....and you end up with 1 1/2 hour to 2 hour par 3 rounds. And you wonder why golf is dying? I know, "what's the hurry, you're retired". What's the hurry? I'm getting old. I don't have that much time. That's the hurry. Why not promote match play. Much quicker; easily 9 holes in 50 minutes or less. It really is what golf used to be; a match. Stroke play has contributed to the slowness. I doubt many TVers ever tried match play.
There is one interesting golf thing I have seen. It is this golf scoring in which the players' scores are a composite of strokes and time. Not sure how it works, but the best scores are had by running to your ball. Won't work here; too many hip and knee replacements, but it may catch on with younger, more active people.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
[/COLOR][/B]

One thing for sure, golfers ................ don't wear funny clothes.

Need coffee. BAD.
Don't you remember the good old days of golf? The first time my dad took me, it was a new game for him too, I was twelve. I used my own money to buy the most ridiculous clothes I could find in the sports department at Two Guys Department store so I wouldn't look conspicuous. I bought brown and white paisley pants and a brown golf shirt. I can still remember it. [I guess that was back then and not now.]

Last edited by tomwed; 09-25-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, dying, years, one-third, sounds, america, ago, jupiter, fla, foundation, national, consulting, firm, olds, played, million, year, 18-34, generation, rounds

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.