One Blood Attempted Platelet Donation 6/23/2016.

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2016, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Default One Blood Attempted Platelet Donation 6/23/2016.

I was all set to watch Safe Harbor for the very first time and give platelets but my left arm felt a little funny so Mary agreed that it might have been a bad stick. And my right arm decided it wanted to donate all on its own after the needle came out so I did donate maybe a couple of ounces of blood to the chair.

Mary did a very good job of being very attentive to her "patient" me.

Since they stuck me, it did count as a donation in my tally.

In October 2015, I had a bad stick and waited way too long to complain and that resulted in a black and blue left arm for a month or so along with a block on my donating for 56 days.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 06-25-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:35 AM
Gold member

Fortunately, I have never had a situation like that. I hope you weren't in pain. How long do you need to wait before donating again? I will be donating again on July 1st.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
Fortunately, I have never had a situation like that. I hope you weren't in pain. How long do you need to wait before donating again? I will be donating again on July 1st.
I could go in today according to the OneBlood scheduling page. I will wait though about ten more days. I am set to go in for platelets a little after the 4th of July. I have four appointments set up for platelets this summer.

The pain was the telltale sign that something was wrong.

There might not have been anything wrong Thursday but I just did not want to take a chance. All the donations over the years have made it kind of hard to get through the veins due to scarring. So, it sometimes hurts at the time of the needle stick but soon stops. Thursday it continued for a while.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 06-26-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:36 PM

I've had a very bad experience there- left in the room alone with needle in each arm and in pain and getting sick. I had to call out for someone and the blood had been leaking under the skin. I got sicker then hell, after a half hour they said I could leave and I only made it to the door before I passed out & threw up. Had to get a ride home. My arm turned all black. Did anyone follow up with a call to see how I was doing? Nope. Will never go back. They used to have many more attendants before some cutback.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati1974 View Post
I've had a very bad experience there- left in the room alone with needle in each arm and in pain and getting sick. I had to call out for someone and the blood had been leaking under the skin. I got sicker then hell, after a half hour they said I could leave and I only made it to the door before I passed out & threw up. Had to get a ride home. My arm turned all black. Did anyone follow up with a call to see how I was doing? Nope. Will never go back. They used to have many more attendants before some cutback.
That's terrible. When did that happen?

I had an experience in October 2015 where the blood leaked under my skin and my arm bloated up like a balloon but there was a blanket over it. I did feel some pain so it was partly my fault for not calling to someone for help. I can be a marshmallow at times about my rights. Not anymore though after all the problems I had with that left arm for month or so. They did send the technician handling me back for more training and she seemed sincerely sorry about it all. I am basically a very nice person most of the time. Often too nice IMHO.
Closed Thread

Tags
arm, blood, donate, left, donation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.