Publishing a Novel

Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2016, 12:28 PM
Default Publishing a Novel

Does anybody have experience publishing a novel? I'm writing a novel and need help. Best to self publish or use a publisher? Any recommendations on what publishing company to use in Florida?
Old 06-12-2016, 11:55 AM

Call Lifelong Learning College. They are surveying couple of courses on publishing novels for first timers. One is So You Want to Write a Book: 4 Steps To Writing a Book and Getting It Published.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:58 AM

There are numerous writing clubs in TV, and well over a hundred self published authors. Your question is discussed at there meetings constantly. Also, Lifelong Learning College is surveying for two new courses on publishing novels. Join a writing club or call to see if the LLLC courses are being offered.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardar View Post
Does anybody have experience publishing a novel? I'm writing a novel and need help. Best to self publish or use a publisher? Any recommendations on what publishing company to use in Florida?
Congratulations on writing your book. My first bit of advice is to pay to have your book professionally edited so that you have a corrected and polished product that is ready to be submitted to the publishers or, if you are self publishing, offered to the public for sale.

As far as publishing you don’t “use a publisher”. You submit your work with the hope that the publishing company will CHOOSE your book to design, print, market and distribute. All of which are expensive which is why the publishing companies tend to be very, very selective about what they choose. They want to make money and will not spend money on your book unless they are very certain that it will sell. Think in terms of contingency lawyers who will not put their time and money into a case unless they believe they will win it.

Also regardless of whether you are chosen by a publisher or decide to pay your own costs and self-publish, be prepared to market your book. They don’t sell themselves and an author must aggressively seek out opportunities to put their product in front of the public. A phenomenal book is 1001 Ways to Market Your Book by John Kremer. Amazon.com: 1001 Ways to Market Your Books: Includes over 1000 proven marketing tips for authors and publishers. Now you can take a more active role in marketing your books. eBook: John Kremer: Kindle Store

My last comment is all the hard work that goes into writing your book pales in comparison to what is required after it is in hard copy.

In any event it is a satisfying journey and I wish you much good luck.

Last edited by BK001; 06-12-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:57 AM

Thank you very much for your extensive reply. I'm mainly trying to decide whether to go the self-publishing route, such as with CreateSpace for quick results, or actually attempt to contact a regular publisher. I've been considering Barringer Publishing in Naples, so far as a possible good bet. I agree about the importance of editing, and Barringer appears to stress that (in addition to marketing). I'm thinking that I've put way too much work into this book to go the self-publishing route just to see it quickly in print. Thanks for the tip on the book on marketing.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:46 AM
Platinum member

You are quite welcome.

Another thought -- make sure that you choose publishers who specialize in your genre -- it is a waste of time and resources to send a romance manuscript to a do-it-yourself publisher etc etc.

You should plan on hitting many publishers (you have nothing to lose) -- and don't be discouraged by rejections -- many famous authors were rejected by dozens and dozens before they hit.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:44 PM
Sage
Default simultaneous submissions

my daughter has had 10 books published but would always tell me she could not submit to more than one publisher at a time...i thought this a colossal waste of time but am interested in your statement about multiple publishers....do they have to be one at a time or can one submit to several?
Old 06-16-2016, 04:35 PM

Barringer is a self publishing company, in that they charge you to publish your book. A traditional publisher never charges the author; they pay the author, often with an advance. 95+% of all the authors in The Villages self-publish, for several reasons:
1) They can't get a publisher or agent interested. There are just too many books seeking publishers, and even agents won't get interested unless you are famous or they know you or someone specifically recommended you.
2) Many authors are of retirement age, and don't want to waste 2-3 years with a traditional publisher. I use this term purposely. The agent (if you get one) will want a one year contract, during which he or she will attempt to market your book to a publisher. If not successful, you've wasted a year. If successful, the publisher could then take up to 2 years to produce your book (one year minimum)
3) They have had experience with publishers who produced their book, and then were disappointed by the total lack of marketing efforts by the publisher, plus the fact that royalties are only 10-15%. Most traditional publishers today do nothing to market books they publish. It's all up to the author. So, many authors figure, if they have to do this anyway, why not keep more of the profit (up to 70% or more with Amazon).

You have already made the decision to self-publish. Now the question is, with whom. The fees charged by Barringer are very high, and you can do this much cheaper with CreateSpace. I'm not familiar with Barringer, but will tell you that a lot of these self-publishers have contracts that a dog shouldn't sign. For example, they price the book so high that no one will buy it - except the author, at a "discount." Be very very wary. The business model for many of these companies is based on selling services and books to the author, not books to the general public. Google "Author Solutions" to see the kind of headaches authors have encountered with self -publishers.

I agree with the comments about professional editing, but it's expensive. Get the best editing you can afford, but don't expect to recoup the money you invest. Have no illusions with your self published book. The writing is the easy part, the marketing is the hard part.

You seem unaware of the myriad opportunities in The Villages to meet with other self-published authors, get advice from people with experience, and learn from their mistakes. There are 12 writers groups alone in TV, with others just outside TV. Your type of question comes up all the time. The umbrella organization is called Writers League of The Villages. It has a web site, Writers League Club - Home. WLOV members have a wealth of experience with self-publishing.

Good luck with your book.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:28 PM
Default Good Advice

Thank you very much, Ashokan, for your extensive and informative reply. Excellent advice. Yes, I have since joined one of the writers group, and so far have it to be very helpful. I've been particularly curious as to why so many writers are turning to CreateSpace and other self-publishing options. You have confirmed many of the reasons that I heard. I'm coming to 3 major conclusions: 1) Editing is important, whether by a professional or members of a writers group. 2)Self publishing seems to be the way to go, particularly if one doesn't want to wait a long time to see their book in print. 3) No matter what, successful marketing is up to the author. Thanks for all your help.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:41 PM

Thank you, I really appreciate your detailed and thoughtful reply.
Closed Thread

Tags
publishing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.