The Zookeeper's Wife

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2016, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Default The Zookeeper's Wife

The Zookeeper's Wife (film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

It seems they are making this book into a movie. I thought about the book again after thinking about the killing of the gorilla at the Cincinnati Zoo.

The Zookeeper's Wife - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-01-2016, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
The Zookeeper's Wife (film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

It seems they are making this book into a movie. I thought about the book again after thinking about the killing of the gorilla at the Cincinnati Zoo.

The Zookeeper's Wife - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I read this book a couple years ago. It's fantastic. Little to do with the Cincinnati situation, but a fantastic historical read. I recommend it highly.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I read this book a couple years ago. It's fantastic. Little to do with the Cincinnati situation, but a fantastic historical read. I recommend it highly.
I was thinking more about the discussion of zoos and saving threatened species. It seemed to be part of the book. It has been about three years since I listened to the book-on-tape.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I was thinking more about the discussion of zoos and saving threatened species. It seemed to be part of the book. It has been about three years since I listened to the book-on-tape.
I do agree that zoos have their purpose. I don't agree that they are the right place for certain endangered species.

Here is an interesting take on the situation. Tony Norman: The gorilla had to go. But why keep them? | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I am very sad about the gorilla. I am very sad about what the mother and child went through. But I am most concerned about the zoo and its safety precautions. If they had impenetrable barriers,this wouldn't have happened. Just because no one slipped through the barrier in 38 years doesn't make it okay, in my view. There are many public venues that need to re-examine their safety features.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:23 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Some zoos maintain breeding programs to assist endangered species. Unfortunately it seems the countries where many of these species live in the wild are unable to control the poaching which is quite sad.

BTW, it certainly doesn't help matters when inattentive perhaps criminally and civilly liable parents let their children jump into animal enclosures necessitating the loss of an animal's life.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-02-2016, 10:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Some zoos maintain breeding programs to assist endangered species. Unfortunately it seems the countries where many of these species live in the wild are unable to control the poaching which is quite sad.

BTW, it certainly doesn't help matters when inattentive perhaps criminally and civilly liable parents let their children jump into animal enclosures necessitating the loss of an animal's life.
I am all for zoo's breeding programs for endangered species, as long as they can keep these animals adequately protected from humans... And vice versa. It's under the zoo's control, and some are better at or financially more able to do this than others. If they can't protect the endangered species, they should be in preserves of countries who can.

Tags
book, thought, thinking, killing, cincinnati

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.