Anyone seen The Equalizer with Denzel Washington?

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2014, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts
Default Anyone seen The Equalizer with Denzel Washington?

The Equalizer - Rotten Tomatoes

It got a D in the Entertainment Weekly review which basicaly just said it was a slaughterhouse of gore with little reason for all that mayhem.

I had been planning on seeing this one soon. I still have a free movie coupon from giving Blood at OneBlood. I got two for giving red blood cells.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:25 AM
Veteran member

DH saw it and thought it was over the top and a bit silly but the premise was good. He said it was like superman and unnecessarily gory. It moved along quickly and Denzel did a good job as usual. He thought it was a good action movie but could have been more believable. He said it was about an 8.

Definitely not my kind of entertainment. It is great that the movies are on all day and he can go on his own to these ones. We saw "My Old Lady" with Maggie Smith and Kevin Kline at the Rialto and both of us thought it was a good drama and well done. Also loved The One Hundred Foot Journey.

LW888
Old 09-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Platinum member

Saw it yesterday with my husband. Don't usually go for the shoot-em-ups but I like Denzel Washington's acting. We enjoyed it but we may be biased as we are from Boston and enjoyed recognizing all the spots where it was shot. Filmed mainly in East Boston.

Nancy
Old 09-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Eternal Member

I will have to see it before I comment but I did like The Equalizer when it was a TV show which this is supposedly based on.

Z
Old 09-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Default Saw it today

Yes there is blood and gore...but wouldn't you expect that from this type of movie?? We saw it today. Can't wait for the sequel to come out as we have a lot of unanswered questions about Denzel's character's past in this movie. He is a one man enforcer. He only takes out the bad guys. He helps people in need. He doesn't sleep. He has his actions numbered to the second.

We gave it a thumbs up.

From Liberty, MO
Old 10-01-2014, 03:36 AM
Veteran member

I have never agreed with critics or reviews of movies. So many times they are negative and the movie is great. Can not base how a movie is based on someone's opinion. If you like the actor or actors in the movie,, try it out,,

I have seen quite a few movies that I love which got bad reviews from over payed critics. JUST SAYING
Old 10-01-2014, 06:17 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Haven't seen it but I love Denzel and I love gratuitous violence movies. However, I'm kind of afraid to see it because The Equalizer was one of my favorite television programs and I know I will compare them even though there really isn't all that much to compare. Guess I'll probably wait for Netflix.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-01-2014, 08:31 AM

We just went to see The Equalizer, an R rated action-er, on the strength that Denzel Washington is in it. We were not disappointed as we went into it knowing exactly what it was. He plays an obvious retired someone that has turned into an 'everyman' and becomes a knight in shining armor that may have gotten in over his head. The one liner that stayed in my head was when he was talking to a DC higher up was when it was said "He didn't come here for help, he came for permission." Denzel hits another one out of the park just because he is such a great actor.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Deanna View Post
We just went to see The Equalizer, an R rated action-er, on the strength that Denzel Washington is in it. We were not disappointed as we went into it knowing exactly what it was. He plays an obvious retired someone that has turned into an 'everyman' and becomes a knight in shining armor that may have gotten in over his head. The one liner that stayed in my head was when he was talking to a DC higher up was when it was said "He didn't come here for help, he came for permission." Denzel hits another one out of the park just because he is such a great actor.
I saw it yesterday at the Old Mill Playhouse. I enjoyed it by suspending my disbelief for the 2:20 or so length of the film. I did use my last One Blood free movie coupon.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

We saw it the other day and loved it. Denzel is perfect.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
We saw it the other day and loved it. Denzel is perfect.
I will have to check some stuff I thought I saw in The Equalizer when it comes out on DVD and Blu-Ray. I keep telling myself that I am not going crazy and to have hope. A few smiles from the regulars helped. Thanks to these happy people.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 10-04-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Location: Village of St. Charles,Binghamton, Conklin, Syracuse, and Tully, NY

My husband and I saw it-mostly because Denzel was in it. We both thought it was very good. I love movies where the bad guys get their asses kicked! Denzel is always great.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:02 PM

Denzel sure is one calculating and ingenious character in this movie. Keeps you wondering what he'll do next.

We could use about a 1,000 like him. They would wipe out ISIS in a month.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatskillBill View Post
Denzel sure is one calculating and ingenious character in this movie. Keeps you wondering what he'll do next.

We could use about a 1,000 like him. They would wipe out ISIS in a month.
Super-human reflexes though in that character. And being in that kind of shape to do those things would require a huge amount of discipline and training. You got someone working physically at an Olympic level of ability but without all that work that is needed to get there. Unless, we only saw part of this character's life. I was able to suspend disbelief though and enjoyed the movie.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:28 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Based on comments it appears i would have a long wait until it shows up on Starz. Meantime there is plenty to watch til then
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.