Does anyone listen to vinyl records?

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Sage
Default Does anyone listen to vinyl records?

If you do, can you still hear the difference between vinyl, CD and mp3’s?

Neil Young makes the argument that he hasn’t been satisfied with the sound reproduction of his music for the past 30 years. He claims that what the musicians hear in the studio or concert goers hear is quite different then what you hear on an mp3 or CD. Many experts agree. He feels that many young people are missing out on the visceral experience of music that we had in our youth. He has a solution. click here

I’m just wondering if I could hear the difference too or maybe it’s too late for me. I still have 30 albums in NJ but I haven’t played one in 30 years and I gave away my A&R turntable to an old friend who always loved vinyl.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Since you have started this thread, I still have a Dual turntable that I am hoping to use to transfer some of my albums to high quality MP3 files so I can listen to these in my car, etc. Most of the 'experts' say that over age 25-30, you start to lose the high frequency response, and depending on your line of work and previous use of ear buds, you may have lost some mid or low frequencies. Personally, I have difficulty hearing the difference between a good MP3 and the same vinyl recording in good condition, however, I have noticed that many MP3 have an enhanced dynamic range that I like.

I have over 4 moving boxes (50-60 albums each) that I am going to be selling in the near future. These cover 2 boxes that my parents had (late 40's to mid 60's), and the 2 boxes that I had (60's to 80's). The problem with transferring the records to MP3 is the time involved, and the need to pay attention while doing the transfer for the individual tracks.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Veteran member

Age (younger is better) and sex (female is better) are hearing related issues but, in general, an analog recording is superior. Most vinyl, including all "old" vinyl, is analog. It isn't the vinyl that sounds better (e.g., pops, ticks, scratches) but it is the analog recording and reproduction processes that sound better than digital. With quality recordings and quality audio systems, most people quickly hear the differences. Having said that, what truly matters most is the MUSIC. I type that as I have my iTunes and over 24,000 music tracks playing here on my computer.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I believe Dire Straits 'Brothers in Arms was the first #1 digitally recorded album. Peter Gabriel who is normally cutting edge with his music, decided to record his new 1986 album 'So' in digital but also in analog to see the difference. After the album was finished and he did a blind listening session, the analog recording won.

The Villages Florida
Old 09-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Sage

When I watched this video click here and listened to what James Taylor and CSN had to say about the quality of sound I think there may be something out there that sounds better then mp3's or CD's that I can hear. Many of the artists in the video are my age and older. And one would think that in their line of work, their hearing must be damaged. Maybe it's a snake oil product.
I won't spend a dime without doing research and product testing. I have time for both.

For now I like Pandora and I wear noise canceling headphones from Sennheiser. They were a good investment and especially comfortable when flying. I'm on my second pair.

I do appreciate everyone’s input.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Sage

Doesn't really matter. Nothing worth listening to since they stopped making vinyl anyway.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Veteran member

I love listening to many types of music on different types of playback systems. My favorite music to listen to are LP records. I have a nice setup that includes a modern turntable with a belt driven motor that minimizes pops, etc. I also clean all my new records with a record cleaner and after that process I hear virtually no poor sounds from these LP records. My favorites are recordings in stereo made in the 1960's. I also have a 1917 Victrola that I use and I enjoy that sound as well. I used to have a 1948 GE tube 78rpm record player and had over a 1000 1930 through 1950's songs. I gave those to one of my sons as getting everything to fit in the closet in my new Village's home meant serious downsizing to 2,000 LP's and 300 78's. My other favorite system is Blueray. This is a wonderful way to view concerts and these are recorded in HD picture as well as HD Sound in multichannel format. Simply stunning to watch and listen to.

CD's don't sound very good to me. Digitalizing music cuts some sounds out of the recording as compared to the analog recordings of LP records. MP 3 I am not too sure of as I have no experience with these. I guess if you like what you hear that is what is important!
Old 09-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Doesn't really matter. Nothing worth listening to since they stopped making vinyl anyway.
I really hope you didn't mean this. There are wonderful things being recorded every day no matter what your taste in music is. What specific types of music do you enjoy? Maybe some of us can suggest some newer things you might like.

P.S. They still "make" vinyl.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:59 AM

I have an AMI jukebox and over 2000 45's from the 50's and 60's and to me nothing makes me feel younger than to listen to music on the jukebox. I also listen to my albums on a direct drive linear turntable and to me it sounds 100 times better than a CD or MP3. I enjoy all types of music but the oldies and classic rock rule.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:01 PM

By the way, vinyl is making a comeback in the music industry so I've heard.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:33 PM
Default Turntable available

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
If you do, can you still hear the difference between vinyl, CD and mp3’s?

I’m just wondering if I could hear the difference too or maybe it’s too late for me. I still have 30 albums in NJ but I haven’t played one in 30 years and I gave away my A&R turntable to an old friend who always loved vinyl.

Hi there,

I know this an old thread but thought I'd check to see if you are interested in a Denon Quartz DP-7F turntable. It's not new but it has been hardly used. I found a couple of them on EBAY for $150 and $135. I have one you can have for only $60 and I'll even throw in a Sanyo VHS player/recorder with remote at no additional charge.
If you're interested, please give me a call @ 352-674-9438.

Thanks, Sandy
Old 11-30-2014, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

[QUOTE=iluvmopars;933147]By the way, vinyl is making a comeback in the music industry so I've heard.[/QUOTE

As have the equipment to play them on. The new turntables and amps add significant quality to the vinyl recordings. I think you need to be either an aficionado or traditionalist to fully appreciate that media. I'm not sure I can get a power plug for the lighter in the car though....

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-19-2015, 07:47 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Pepe

I became a recording engineer a few years back. We can make most music sound better but there is a difference between digital and vinyl that can be heard. The reason is head room. The compression of a digital sound deadens the highs and lows. Analog lets all of the nuances shine through.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:59 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Compression is done in the mixing room and has nothing to do with the digital medium. Because of the noise floor, Vinyl has a maximum dynamic range of 60db, 16 bit CD audio has 90db and a 24 bit digital recording can bring up to 144db of dynamic range.

Don't get me wrong, I love vinyl. It's very musical, warm and the whole process of pulling out the album, setting it on the platter and lowering the tone arm is very romantic.

I sell alot of high end audio gear and I have a serious turntable setup in my showroom. You are all invited to stop by for a listen anytime. How knows, you may find it quite enjoyable. It's remarkable what a real in home audio system can accomplish.

Call or txt anytime @ (352) 388-1677

Tom@VillagerAV.com
Old 03-09-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmopars View Post
By the way, vinyl is making a comeback in the music industry so I've heard.
I've that it's not like the old vinyl. It's still digitalized music in a vinyl form. I'm no expert, but that's what I heard. Anyone have some expert knowledge?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.