What To Do With LPs?

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2017, 03:55 PM
Sage
Default What To Do With LPs?

I have a couple boxes of old albums...LPs. Mostly from late 60's to early-mid 70's. Anybody know of a place that would buy them...maybe one of those flea market vendors? Somebody else? Or if you have other suggestions, I'm listening.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:33 PM
Veteran member

eBay
Old 03-19-2017, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I sold records for 25 years, 10 years in a retail store, 15 years in mail order/online. Before I moved here six years ago I got rid of my personal collection of 4,000 albums. I cherry picked about 500 mint condition albums and sold them to an FYE store for a $1 apiece.

You can donate them to an organization, but not everybody wants them, best to call first and then you can take a IRS deduction.

Sell them yourself in a yard sale, you can probably get a quarter a piece if they don't look too scratched up. I sold about 1,000 in yard sales, usually in bulk something like 200 for $100. Mine were all in mint condition jacket and record and titles that people would want.

If you think it's something rare and it's in mint condition, go on eBay and look up the title and see if someone is selling the same title or similar. If you're lucky you might have something you can get $5 or $10 or even $25, maybe more. You'll need to know how to grade the record and you'll need to get mailers. Here's an example, this mint condition album still sealed just sold on eBay for $275.

The Villages Florida

Here's a link to eBay, start searching:

vinyl records | eBay

For mailers I would suggest Bags Unlimited in New York.

Album Mailer FOLDER
Old 03-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Sage

Gave the last of ours to our 18 YO granddaughter - see loves old rock albums and plays them all the time.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-27-2017, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

when I was kid we use to us 78s as clay pigeon's. shoot them with shotguns. They now probably worth thousands. I got two boxes full of them I haven't even unpacked.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

You can try here, but don't expect to get too much for them. There are some, (very few) that are worth a lot of money in pristine condition, but most of them are worthless.

Home
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,369 Times in 2,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I have a couple boxes of old albums...LPs. Mostly from late 60's to early-mid 70's. Anybody know of a place that would buy them...maybe one of those flea market vendors? Somebody else? Or if you have other suggestions, I'm listening.
This site will help you grade them.
How To Grade Items : Support
Old 03-27-2017, 04:24 PM

Michaels sells record album frames.... I have a number of them hanging in an office...... picked ones based upon album cover
Old 05-08-2017, 07:29 PM

I'd say pass them on to your children. In my case, there was great sentimental value in my beloved albums, which were not in great condition. Let the kids decide what to do with them. Maybe in a few generations they'll be worth millions. I really miss albums. CD's and downloads just aren't the same. You can't read the jacket of a CD and downloads are just music sans personality.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:06 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Someone that does skeet shooting could use them! They wouldn't have to buy them clay pigeons! Sorry. Couldn't resist myself. : )
Old 05-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

You might want to give these folks in Gainesville a call.

2nd & Charles | Buy - Sell - Trade | Used Books - Games - Music

I was up there last weekend looking for a Books A Million and this place was on my GPS as a BAM store.

It is no longer a Books A Million store, but are owned by BAM...and deal in a lot of used books/albums/instruments.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Sent you an IM.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I am interested if you could IM me. I sent an IM, but apparently to wrong Polar Bear
Old 05-09-2017, 10:01 AM
Veteran member

we took our LP's to a vendor at a flea market. ( Jacksonville) but out of 300 or so he took about 25... we donated the rest to a thrift store benefiting Hospice.. but a warning.. we found out that some of the albums had posters and the posters are worth some $$ and can be sold on Ebay.. information too late .. the vendor told us he has a glut of albums and didn't need anymore but took the ones that were "rare"?
Old 05-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Sage

Update...

We're in the process of a few modest home improvements. After some research, one is going to be a room-to-room sound system and we're including a turntable. We will be keeping our LP's!!

The days of the need for huge receivers, speakers, etc. to get decent sound are over. We will have a a free-standing speaker in two or three rooms that will play music from our PC's, mobile devices, game machines, anything on our wireless network. One will have a turntable attached to it which will also play on any of the speakers as desired.

A few other modifications have to be completed before we install (more like simply plug in...heheh) the sound system, but it should be within a week or two. I can't wait!
Closed Thread

Tags
lps, flea, market, vendors, buy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.