Anyone else enjoying the PBS series on the Roosevelts this week?

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2014, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2 View Post
I am recording it, stockpiling, and looking forward to some binge-watching soon.

Teddy's daughter Alice Roosevelt Longworth is interesting. I don't know how much she has been or will be covered by Burns in this, but if you are so inclined, give her a google

Alice was smart and beautiful and complicated and influential and scandalous. She carried a snake in her purse. Her father was quoted as saying, "I can be President of the United States or I can control Alice. I cannot possibly do both."

Alice was known for many things, including her sharp wit. Among her most famous quips -- "If you can't say something good about someone, sit right here next to me."
She lived in Cincinnati with her husband Nicholas Longworth.

I heard on this series that she said this about her father; "He must be the bride at every wedding, the corpse at every funeral and the baby at every christening".
Old 09-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Veteran member

Until the mid/late 50s, former presidents did not receive Secret Service protection and did not receive pensions.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Gold member

Yes I am totally enjoying this series. I have learned so much so far. Teddy was fascinating.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Sage

It is fascinating. I had no idea the Roosevelt's had so much tragedy in their lives. Or that Eleanor had such an unhappy childhood.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 09-17-2014, 11:18 PM

Me too. I am truly enjoying this series.

Learning a lot!

Watching without commercials is fantastic!
Old 09-18-2014, 04:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
WUCF Channel 24, on Directv also channel 24, it's 24/7 in HD. I can't imagine Brighthouse, Comcast or Century Link not having WUCF from Orlando.

I saw a film about six months ago called "Hyde Park on the Hudson", from 2012. Bill Murry played FDR and it mostly covered a brief period of his life and his affairs. Murry did a really good job, but the story was pretty shallow.
I hsve WUCF on Century Link, Channel 24.I think it depends on what "package" you have.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 09-18-2014, 06:53 AM
Sage

Last summer we went to Canada, and stooped at Campobello, it is on display as it was years ago very interesting, what was surprising is it was not located in the US.

The movie Hyde Park on the Hudson with Bill Murry was very good.

I missed the first few episodes????
Old 09-18-2014, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Last summer we went to Canada, and stooped at Campobello, it is on display as it was years ago very interesting, what was surprising is it was not located in the US.

I am learning all kinds of interesting things. I thought Campobello was somewhere off the coast of Maine.

I am amazed by some of the things I have learned from this series. We felt that history would have been so much easier to learn if we had something like this available to watch and discuss when we were kids. It HAD to be diluted because Public Education can't get into the meat of history.

. Teddy was a Republican and Franklin was a Democrat and related, and at one time close. Both determined and dogged and savvy about people. Not above the faults of the world, but still admirable and very strong .

It shows that politics can bring out the best and the worst in people. And that history does repeat itself in this imperfect but beloved country.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:16 AM
Sage

At the end, I caught for a split second the actors' voices for reading quotes of the characters and saw Meryl Streep was reading lines for Eleanor. I can't imagine it is possible because there was no Meryl in the voice but I am pretty sure that is what the credits said. As I said, it was a split second and the other actors listed were top caliber. I need to really focus on that tonight.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am learning all kinds of interesting things. I thought Campobello was somewhere off the coast of Maine.
Almost or kinda, you drive over a bridge from Maine, perhaps a 1/8 mile long go thru Canadian customs etc.
The island from Maine you can see right across a small channel of water.

You drive a mile or two to the house,
Old 09-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post

The first three episode will be shown on Saturday. Look at the television listing as to when it will start. They run concurrently.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 09-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
At the end, I caught for a split second the actors' voices for reading quotes of the characters and saw Meryl Streep was reading lines for Eleanor. I can't imagine it is possible because there was no Meryl in the voice but I am pretty sure that is what the credits said. As I said, it was a split second and the other actors listed were top caliber. I need to really focus on that tonight.
Meryl Streep did Eleanor voice, as she is the best actress of the most recent generation and great at dialects.

Paul Giammatti did TR's voice and Edward Herrman does the FDR voice.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 09-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Sage

I'll set to record series, tks
Old 09-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Sage

It is a wonderful series. I love Ken Burns projects. I watched them all online earlier this week. I don't know how long it will be available online but for now if you missed an episode that may be an option.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Platinum member

Here you go, straight from WUCF:

GOING AWAY SEPTEMBER 28: A reminder: you can binge watch the *entire* THE ROOSEVELTS series from Ken Burns (PBS) -- but only until Sept. 28th -- on WUCF's website, on Roku and Apple TV! Catch up online now! The Roosevelts | Show Information | WUCF #RooseveltsPBS

We have loved watching this program & have learned so much!
I am also currently reading "Upstairs at the White House My Life with the First Ladies" by J.B.West. This book has so much fascinating information about the different First Ladies & the operation of the White House. Mr. West was the Head Usher at the White House from the Roosevelts to the Nixons. It is an excellent companion to the PBS series.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.