Reality TV in General

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2015, 06:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
We are followers of Big Bang, but it seems to really be struggling now that Penny is legit and making a real living and cut her hair and got all growed up! I really like Howard's wife (cannot think of her name), she is much under rated and is a very clever comedienne. Also like Stew in the comic book shop - I think he is in the new Melissa McCarthy movie, I saw a quick review and thought it was him. He also is very clever and under rated. Did you see the one where he and Amy went to the movies and Sheldon turned up - great writing. I saw "Amy" on an old What not to Wear and she really does look much like Amy on Big Bang. In real life she is Mayim Hoya Bialik, American actress and a real neuroscientist. She is very well spoken and looks like a geek!
This is a great show, but can the writers keep the quality going much longer?
I agree, now that Penny is all growed up and respectable, it isn't as funny.
Programs always seem to end while they're on a "high", before they peak out.
Seinfeld did. I think we may soon be saying goodbye to BB Theory.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:51 PM
Veteran member

I've always preferred nonfiction books and documentary movies and now watch quite a few reality shows, usually competitive shows or those that highlight people with some type of talent or experience, like the veterinarian shows and Pit Bulls and Parolees. I also enjoy makeover shows, and there are a lot for houses and cars, although I'll admit to only watching the beginning and then skipping to the end to see the transformations.

My current favorites are Masterchef (especially the Junior version), Face Off, SYTYCD and of course a lot of House Hunters.

I also watch true crime shows, but only those that focus on the forensics and police work that went into solving a crime, like Homicide Hunter with Joe Kenda. And only if they aren't too gory.

The only show I watch that's in the vein of "people living their lives" is the Little Couple, because it's very sweet and their journey has been inspiring.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
I've always preferred nonfiction books and documentary movies and now watch quite a few reality shows, usually competitive shows or those that highlight people with some type of talent or experience, like the veterinarian shows and Pit Bulls and Parolees. I also enjoy makeover shows, and there are a lot for houses and cars, although I'll admit to only watching the beginning and then skipping to the end to see the transformations.

My current favorites are Masterchef (especially the Junior version), Face Off, SYTYCD and of course a lot of House Hunters.

I also watch true crime shows, but only those that focus on the forensics and police work that went into solving a crime, like Homicide Hunter with Joe Kenda. And only if they aren't too gory.

The only show I watch that's in the vein of "people living their lives" is the Little Couple, because it's very sweet and their journey has been inspiring.

I love House Hunters and renovations. AND I like True Crime too. Wasn't thinking but that IS reality TV.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:42 PM
Sage

I like "Cops", "Cold Justice," "Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown," "Property Brothers," and "My Cat From Hell". "Survivor" reminds of my what my workplace is like, so I'm not a fan of "Survivor." I'm not into the singing, dancing, mate finding, bridezilla or wife swapping shows.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I like "Cops", "Cold Justice," "Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown," "Property Brothers," and "My Cat From Hell". "Survivor" reminds of my what my workplace is like, so I'm not a fan of "Survivor." I'm not into the singing, dancing, mate finding, bridezilla or wife swapping shows.
Love Anthony Bourdain - but, can you believe what he eats and drinks. I'd be doing the dead canary scenario by now - flat on my back with legs in the air.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-25-2015, 11:43 PM
Gold member

Never watched Survivor but do like a lot of HGTV, Ghost Adventures and The Dead Files (I know, I'm weird)...now I'm watching Married at First Sight...total junk but I find it fun. Steve hates reality TV but I will find him watching with me. Sometimes it's just fun to fill your head with something that's fluff....after all, we lead such stressful lives here in TV. It is sooooo hard deciding where to eat or checking that we get the tee time we requested!
Old 05-26-2015, 12:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
..now I'm watching Married at First Sight...total junk but I find it fun.
You are right, Married at First Sight is total mindless junk, and a silly storyline.
But I watch it and my girlfriends watch it. There is something fascinating about the show.
I really like the guy who feels responsible for his niece.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I need to try out for Married at First Sight. My husband proposed the weekend of our blind date and we were married 30 days later. That was 33 years ago. Hope it works.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:31 AM
Veteran member

So many characters on TV and families on TV are dysfunctional...that is what makes they interesting to most. Sometimes they act out what may only be a passing thought for the rest of us. Normalcy doesn't attract viewers.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:58 AM
Sage

I do like American Pickers and occasionally I watch Shark Tank, but that's it for "reality shows."
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 05-26-2015, 09:55 AM
Sage

The only reality TV show I ever watched was The Brady Bunch. I quit watching because it was always Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!
Old 05-26-2015, 12:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
I need to try out for Married at First Sight. My husband proposed the weekend of our blind date and we were married 30 days later. That was 33 years ago. Hope it works.
Awwwww, that is a very romantic story.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:17 PM
Default Reality?

Nothing "real" about reality TV, it's staged to the hilt. But otherwise, it would be pretty boring and filled with goofs. I like Dr. Pol because he and his wife and staff are so genuine. There was also a nifty program about a woman whose young family lived and worked a sheep farm (Shear Madness?), but I haven't seen it since the first season. Does anyone know if it is still around? I still enjoy PBS for it's excellent programming.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Gold member

My reality favorite would be Judge Judy!
Old 06-05-2015, 03:50 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
The only reality TV show I ever watched was The Brady Bunch. I quit watching because it was always Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!
My Fav was Gilligan's Island, now that was real.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.