Reality TV in General

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2015, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Reality TV in General

I know there is a thread running right now covering the Duggars, but how many of us watch Reality Shows.

Personally, I cannot watch the Duggars, just freaks me out - a show built around a baby producing machine and a control freak - ugh.

But, I will admit to watching and enjoying The Incredible Dr. Pol, the Dutch Vet who has his clinic in Michigan. I think I am attracted to him from the way he really loves this country and does not hesitate to show it. I also watch Cesar Milan (one or two L's?), the Dog Whisperer. Out of nowhere I found a show on the Hawaiian Vet which is really great, unfortunately they only shot a few shows and then it ended, hopefully it will come back. I also watch "Say Yes to the Dress" - for one thing I cannot believe people really spend that sort of money on a wedding dress .........................

Other than those shows, nothing else interests me. What about you .........

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-24-2015, 07:25 AM
Platinum member

I find almost all reality TV boring and overdone to the point of nausea. And in the end, for what and who cares? It's entertainment in the lowest form. Whether it's dancing, singing, pretending to choose a mate, sucking up to Trump, or running around the jungle naked, it holds my interest for about 10 seconds. The only exception for me is the old original reality TV show "Survivor" which I find to be like watching a sport being played, but even then it's hard for me to watch a whole season of it. Where will "reality" go next? Anyone remember the Jim Carrey movie, "The Truman Show"?

Please understand that I am not judging here. I'm just sharing my own personal opinion and not reflecting on others choices. It's obviously popular or there wouldn't be so much of it. For me, however, it can not compete with a well written and well acted drama. My only real regret about "reality TV" is that it supplants what might be more entertaining and enriching programming.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:30 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I like the cooking contests -- Master Chef, Chopped, etc. My favorite is Face Off on SyFy. I love watching the transformation of the models into creatures, plus the contestants really do help each other out. No backstabbing on this show. I hate the Survivor type of shows. I've watched some of the "people" shows on occasion but never really got into them. Say Yes to the Dress is fun to watch when nothing else is on.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-24-2015, 08:25 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I love to watch "Botched" followed by "Good Work" on E!. Doctors Dubrow and Nassif are a kick and their patients are usually hysterical. One of their offices is in my hometown of Newport Beach so I know the turf which makes it even better.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-24-2015, 08:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I love to watch "Botched" followed by "Good Work" on E!. Doctors Dubrow and Nassif are a kick and their patients are usually hysterical. One of their offices is in my hometown of Newport Beach so I know the turf which makes it even better.
Never heard of either of these shows, thanks for the heads up.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Gold member

I like reality shows. My favorites are Yukon Men, Life below Zero, Buying Alaska, the Little Women shows (LA and NY), Boomtowners, The Little Couple, Ice Road Truckers, Restaurant Impossible, and Hotel Impossible. It looks like I'm enamored with cold weather but not to experience it in person.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 05-24-2015, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I find almost all reality TV boring and overdone to the point of nausea. And in the end, for what and who cares? It's entertainment in the lowest form. Whether it's dancing, singing, pretending to choose a mate, sucking up to Trump, or running around the jungle naked, it holds my interest for about 10 seconds. The only exception for me is the old original reality TV show "Survivor" which I find to be like watching a sport being played, but even then it's hard for me to watch a whole season of it. Where will "reality" go next? Anyone remember the Jim Carrey movie, "The Truman Show"?

Please understand that I am not judging here. I'm just sharing my own personal opinion and not reflecting on others choices. It's obviously popular or there wouldn't be so much of it. For me, however, it can not compete with a well written and well acted drama. My only real regret about "reality TV" is that it supplants what might be more entertaining and enriching programming.
I do not think I could have stated it better, except, I do not think I/we watch any of the "reality" shows.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post

My thoughts exactly. Life itself can be a very harsh reality. I need fiction and diversion sometimes.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:45 PM
Platinum member

I enjoy some of the cable reality shows.
American Pickers is usually entertaining. Dr Pol and the Hawaiian & Yukon Vets. And a couple of the house flipping shows, Flip or Flop & Flipping Boston.
Most of the TV reality shows though... I'd rather read a good book on my Kindle.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 05-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Veteran member

I really enjoy So you think you can Dance. I find the talent and the choreo amazing. I also like the house makeovers though I am not a faithful watcher do anything but SYTYCD. I have been watching Border Security and find it interesting as well as Dr. Pol and Cesaer Milan. There is a wedding planner show that is also fun to watch periodically. I guess like everything, it is each to his own.

LW888
Old 05-24-2015, 04:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Love them...I watched them when they we on Beverly Hills housewives. Both appear to be fabulos plastic surgeons...... Love them...

I personnally watch all the realitity TV, favorite....Survivor.....Apprentice is my least favorite, but I still watch it. trump is a pig sometimes when it comes to women......and hes sometimes wrong, although his kids always agree with him. you gotto follow the money....

Love to watch other peoples lives, makes me appreciate mine even more.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:09 PM
Sage

OK, I admit it, I watch reality shows. To me, they are more interesting than scripted shows.
I am weary of shows like Grays Anatomy that seem repetitive to me, how many times can a patient be impaled by a pole.
I know people scorn realty television, but someone is watching it, because there are whole channels devoted to it.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
OK, I admit it, I watch reality shows. To me, they are more interesting than scripted shows.
I am weary of shows like Grays Anatomy that seem repetitive to me, how many times can a patient be impaled by a pole.
I know people scorn realty television, but someone is watching it, because there are whole channels devoted to it.
I agree with you completely.....except for the big bang theory.......sort of dying but still sometimes funny....
Old 05-24-2015, 04:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
I agree with you completely.....except for the big bang theory.......sort of dying but still sometimes funny....
Funny, I was going to mention Big Bang Theory as a scripted show I like.
Sort of like Seinfeld -- silly, unique and funny -- with some endearing characters.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Funny, I was going to mention Big Bang Theory as a scripted show I like.
Sort of like Seinfeld -- silly, unique and funny -- with some endearing characters.
We are followers of Big Bang, but it seems to really be struggling now that Penny is legit and making a real living and cut her hair and got all growed up! I really like Howard's wife (cannot think of her name), she is much under rated and is a very clever comedienne. Also like Stew in the comic book shop - I think he is in the new Melissa McCarthy movie, I saw a quick review and thought it was him. He also is very clever and under rated. Did you see the one where he and Amy went to the movies and Sheldon turned up - great writing. I saw "Amy" on an old What not to Wear and she really does look much like Amy on Big Bang. In real life she is Mayim Hoya Bialik, American actress and a real neuroscientist. She is very well spoken and looks like a geek!

This is a great show, but can the writers keep the quality going much longer?

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.