Why no Brighthouse north of 466?

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2017, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Why no Brighthouse north of 466?

Would someone who understands these things please give me a good reason why the homes north of 466 are not able to use Brighthouse? I am assuming there is a sensible reason, and it may be something to do with the original infrastructure, but it bothers me that we do not have access.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-27-2017, 11:49 AM
Platinum member

I believe 466a is the line for Brighthouse. Only homes south of 466a have Brighthouse as a cable tv option. Over the years there have been several explanations. The most logical one (no idea if it's accurate) Comcast agreed to pre-wire the home with cable jacks during construction and in return they were assured exclusive cable tv access. Heard this from a Village sales person.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:33 PM
Sage

The part about Comcast pre-wiring the houses with cable jacks is a little suspect. I had a new construction house 30 years ago that was pre-wired with coax and wall jacks. Builders have been doing this automatically for a long time. The real issue is where the infrastructure is installed initially because it cost money to retrofit after the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCART View Post
I believe 466a is the line for Brighthouse. Only homes south of 466a have Brighthouse as a cable tv option. Over the years there have been several explanations. The most logical one (no idea if it's accurate) Comcast agreed to pre-wire the home with cable jacks during construction and in return they were assured exclusive cable tv access. Heard this from a Village sales person.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Would someone who understands these things please give me a good reason why the homes north of 466 are not able to use Brighthouse? I am assuming there is a sensible reason, and it may be something to do with the original infrastructure, but it bothers me that we do not have access.
When asked Spectrum said,"Too expensive to dig up yards."
Old 01-27-2017, 08:52 PM

The answer I will give you is years ago The Villages had their own little agreement with a company I believe called clear point. If anybody knows the exact name please correct me. Comcast purchased that company out in 2004 I believe and made an agreement with the developer to provide service. I heard that the service contract was down to 466A. So I guess from 466A BrightHouse is now the chosen one. Which is now Spectrum since Brighthouse was purchased. People ask me all the time why natural gas is not provided in all the homes. It's just the agreement they made with the utility companies and what is most profitable for the developer. Natural gas is only in seven years out of all the development that has happened here. Trust me all cable companies operate the same! They all have the general same channels and pricing. And they all see how they can make an extra buck along the way. If you want an alternative, look at Directv Now which is Directv's Internet based service. It's a lot cheaper and it worked very well during the seven day trial that I did. The negative right now they have no DVR available. But you can put the signal on your TV via your phone or tablet. Playstation Vue and Sling TV are two more choices.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:08 AM
Sage

Spectrum (aka Brighthouse) is hardly the "chosen one". Homes on the southside have access to Comcast, CenturyLink, and Spectrum. The loop of cable you see by the electric meter is fiber optic cable already run up to the houses by CenturyLink. In addition, Dish and DirectTV are more than happy to mount a satellite dish for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerNut View Post
The answer I will give you is years ago The Villages had their own little agreement with a company I believe called clear point. If anybody knows the exact name please correct me. Comcast purchased that company out in 2004 I believe and made an agreement with the developer to provide service. I heard that the service contract was down to 466A. So I guess from 466A BrightHouse is now the chosen one. Which is now Spectrum since Brighthouse was purchased. People ask me all the time why natural gas is not provided in all the homes. It's just the agreement they made with the utility companies and what is most profitable for the developer. Natural gas is only in seven years out of all the development that has happened here. Trust me all cable companies operate the same! They all have the general same channels and pricing. And they all see how they can make an extra buck along the way. If you want an alternative, look at Directv Now which is Directv's Internet based service. It's a lot cheaper and it worked very well during the seven day trial that I did. The negative right now they have no DVR available. But you can put the signal on your TV via your phone or tablet. Playstation Vue and Sling TV are two more choices.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We dvr from our home up north and use xfinty to watch on our computer or television in TV, adding a fire stick in the spring. Using Comcast for Internet and base tv here.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Probably Brighthouse didn't lay any lines north of 466A? I sure Century link or Comcast not going to let them use their grid.
Closed Thread

Tags
brighthouse, reason, north, access, bothers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.