Bumping Posts

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Veteran member
Default Bumping Posts

I apologize ahead of time, if this thread is not in the proper forum.

As a new member to this site, but a 10+ year veteran on bulletin boards in general....I'm wondering what the policy is in regards to "bumping" a previous post?

The vast majority of boards I've been on, generally discourage and/or prohibit bumping ones own posts.

The reasoning behind that rule is pretty obvious. It keeps a small faction from dominating the forum, with posts that don't seem to be popular with the other members.....and would otherwise fall down the list.

The same goes for repeatedly bumping someone else's post....that you just happen to agree with.

What I've noticed however, is that it seems to be SOP for some posters here.

What is really ridiculous, is seeing a post bumped....within 30 minutes (5 minutes in one case) of the original.

Is this just a reflex action by those who put great emphasis on the number of their posts.....or a need for constant attention?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Veteran member

The latter.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Veteran member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoBike View Post
Bump....
Smartazz.....

Old 04-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoBike View Post
What can I say? I love irony.
Me too....I loved it!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTrack View Post

As a new member to this site, but a 10+ year veteran on bulletin boards in general....I'm wondering what the policy is in regards to "bumping" a previous post?

The vast majority of boards I've been on, generally discourage and/or prohibit bumping ones own posts.

The reasoning behind that rule is pretty obvious. It keeps a small faction from dominating the forum, with posts that don't seem to be popular with the other members.....and would otherwise fall down the list.

The same goes for repeatedly bumping someone else's post....that you just happen to agree with.

What is really ridiculous, is seeing a post bumped....within 30 minutes (5 minutes in one case) of the original.

Is this just a reflex action by those who put great emphasis on the number of their posts.....or a need for constant attention?

I've also wondered........but I do believe you've already answered your own question. Good post.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Sage

I have to agree to disgree with your noticing the bumping of post. I have over 6,600 posts and I can only remember bumping twice in that time span.

Some people have a dire need to get something done and bumping the post brings it back to the top. Some people agree with other people and feel it's important to validate someone's point of view. Sometimes, a post is funny and most TOTV posters would appreciate.

There is no policy that I know up, in bumping a post. However, there is a policy of being too rude or directly refering to another poster that would cause the admin's to delete posts. That's why there is a little red triangle in the upper right corner of the screen.

Life is too short to be too little.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I have to agree to disgree with your noticing the bumping of post. I have over 6,600 posts and I can only remember bumping twice in that time span.
I applaud you for that.

Quote:
Some people have a dire need to get something done and bumping the post brings it back to the top.
Agreed.

If someone needs help or after a few days doesn't get an answer for a sale item or something else...that is very understandable.

That is not the case, in the vast majority of the ones I've seen though.

Quote:
Some people agree with other people and feel it's important to validate someone's point of view. Sometimes, a post is funny and most TOTV posters would appreciate.
I somewhat agree, but cannot understand why that situation would manifest itself within 5-30 minutes after the poster already commented.....unless it was to dominate the thread/forum.

Quote:
There is no policy that I know up, in bumping a post. However, there is a policy of being too rude or directly refering to another poster that would cause the admin's to delete posts. That's why there is a little red triangle in the upper right corner of the screen.
That's also why no names were used in my post.

Quote:
Life is too short to be too little.
Agree again.

Let's see how many take your advice.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

[quote=OnTrack;660617]I applaud you for that.

Agreed.

If someone needs help or after a few days doesn't get an answer for a sale item or something else...that is very understandable.

That is not the case, in the vast majority of the ones I've seen though.

I somewhat agree, but cannot understand why that situation would manifest itself within 5-30 minutes after the poster already commented.....unless it was to dominate the thread/forum.

That's also why no names were used in my post.

Agree again.

Let's see how many take your advice.

.[/quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTrack View Post

I guess TOTV doen't work like the vast majority of boards you posted to in the last 10 years.
But TOTV does seem to be working.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Administrator

The only one(s) to really answer your question is the site administrators. You can email us directly for any questions regarding the site and/or moderation/administration.

There hasn't been a need in the past to draft a site policy on 'bumping' of posts. I don't think I can remember it ever having come up as an 'issue' or we would have drafted a policy. Once in a while we find someone not familiar with forum 'etiquette' and will send them a PM to address. Most users are good about this. We obviously don't need a 'bump' 5 minutes after a post. If you see something of concern you can click on the red triangle in the upper right of the post and it will come to us for review.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.