Random Act of Kindness

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2013, 07:25 AM
Platinum member
Default Random Act of Kindness

I'm moved by the post about the gentleman buying flowers for a stranger on
Valentine's Day. It's amazing how much good comes from just these random acts of kindness. They warm the heart of the giver and the receiver. My wife and I do them sometimes just to feel the joy. For example:

(1) Get in line to check out at the supermarket, buy a small $5-$10 gift certificate for the market, and after paying just hand it to the person behind you in line, smile, and walk away.

(2)Go through the drive thru at McDonalds, or wherever, and when you pay, simply pay for the person behind you also, smile and drive away.

(3) Bake a cake for your neighbor, for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

(4) Go in the flower shop, buy a dozen roses, step out on the sidewalk, and give one to each woman who walks by.

You get the point. It's easy, its fun, and its not any more expensive than you want it to be. Give it a try.

In fact, wouldn't it be great if we had a special Villages holiday where on that date every year we all do at least one random act of kindness for someone else on that day. VILLAGERS DAY, or whatever we want to call it. Now that is something constructive that the TOTV can do. What do you think? Maybe Queen Gracie should select the day and bestow it upon her loyal subjects in TOTV Land!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Veteran member

Oh, I love this idea!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

A church, not my church,(in Cincinnati) would pass out cold bottles of pop (soda) to drivers on a blistering hot day at stop signs.

They did other things equally kind and anonymous much like the ones that C Edwards mentioned.

I have always thought the concept of random acts of kindness was a beautiful one.

I so honor you C Edwards.

Why wait for Villages day?

I have witnessed so many acts of kindness on this forum and in this town, it makes me want to dance.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

In San Francisco, it was common that a stranger would pay the toll for themselves and the car behind them. This was started by a news story of someone doing it and many thought it was a great idea and continued on the tradition. Hope it is still going on. It would bring a smile to the face to the one paying and to the one receiving.

I think it would be hard to make one day a Villager's Day. The reality is that random acts of kindness occur here so frequently. That is truly one of the beautiful things about living here -- the generosity of spirit of Villagers.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Sage

I've always relied on the kindness os strangers. In some case, those strangers became friends and like a family to me. I am always thankful for the goodness that some people have in their hearts.

Thanks for posting this.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-15-2013, 08:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I'm moved by the post about the gentleman buying flowers for a stranger on
Valentine's Day. It's amazing how much good comes from just these random acts of kindness. They warm the heart of the giver and the receiver. My wife and I do them sometimes just to feel the joy. For example:

(1) Get in line to check out at the supermarket, buy a small $5-$10 gift certificate for the market, and after paying just hand it to the person behind you in line, smile, and walk away.

(2)Go through the drive thru at McDonalds, or wherever, and when you pay, simply pay for the person behind you also, smile and drive away.

(3) Bake a cake for your neighbor, for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

(4) Go in the flower shop, buy a dozen roses, step out on the sidewalk, and give one to each woman who walks by.

You get the point. It's easy, its fun, and its not any more expensive than you want it to be. Give it a try.

In fact, wouldn't it be great if we had a special Villages holiday where on that date every year we all do at least one random act of kindness for someone else on that day. VILLAGERS DAY, or whatever we want to call it. Now that is something constructive that the TOTV can do. What do you think? Maybe Queen Gracie should select the day and bestow it upon her loyal subjects in TOTV Land!
You and your wife are among the growing population of like minded folks all over the country who are spreading kindness and generosity to unsuspecting folks..........(your hearts are in the right place).

Our Colorado son and his wife were eating out during the most recent holiday season..........they noticed what appeared to be an elderly Veteran eating alone..........they quietly paid the waitress for his meal....and left.
I forget what they wrote on the note to him......but kind words and thankfulness for his service to our country.

Our Vermont daughter and her family often feed the homeless by providing hot meals via their church........donating and preparing the food.

Kindness is catching on..........all over our great country.........even though the daily news seems to suggest otherwise........

Good will prevail.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Platinum member

I still like the idea of having a special day where everyone tries to do this, but even if we don't have a day, let's do them anyway, and post what you do on this thread. Let's get creative Villagers! After all, we are Florida's Friendliest Hometown!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Thanking the universe for a blessing

We do something like this on the aniversery of the days that changed our lives. My sons birthday, the day my husband and I met, and now the day my husband survived his heart surgery. This sends the good luck back out there.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.