30 sec rule

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2015, 08:32 PM
Veteran member
Default 30 sec rule

Can someone tell me why we have to wait 30 secs on here if we click too soon on new post?? I usually ( ALWAYS) click too soon and have to wait the 30 secs.. and yes, I know 30 secs is not a big deal, so don't hit me with comments to be patient - I just would like to know why it's in place..
Old 07-20-2015, 08:42 PM
Sage

It provides time for you to regret the ads you read during the lapse. (Just kidding Admin.)
Old 07-20-2015, 08:52 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

In lieu of 'official' rsp by Admin - it no doubt is because 'New Posts' function requires a Search, and thus Server time on the processor end of the ToTV app. We just have to wait for the app to continue the New Post search routine and the results.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
Can someone tell me why we have to wait 30 secs on here if we click too soon on new post?? I usually ( ALWAYS) click too soon and have to wait the 30 secs.. and yes, I know 30 secs is not a big deal, so don't hit me with comments to be patient - I just would like to know why it's in place..
I always thought it was so robots couldn't do searches and post. It has to be real people willing to wait the 30 seconds. It drives me nuts too.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
I've often wondered about that. Maybe as jneiman posted - we can blame the robots!
If I hit User ID, I instantly get any threads to which I've subscribed.
Yet when I hit New Posts, it takes 30 seconds -- I'd love to know why.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:02 AM
Sage

I've finally gotten used to it, but it was hard because my instinct is to double-click
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 07-21-2015, 05:44 AM
Sage

According to my memory this was instituted prior to the new admin team. There was a period where there were frequent issues with TOTV with performance and down time.

As the folks in charge were trying to fix the issue, I suspect by upgrading DB servers hardware and software, they also instituted this wait.

Searches require a DB query and puts a stress on the DB servers. If too many searches are occurring simultaneously the servers may not have the capacity to handle. It is not just new posts, it is any search.

Do not read this as fact as my memory is often 'based on a true story'.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:58 AM
Location: Newburyport, Ma, So Berwick, ME, Stratham, NH , Village of Buttonwood

If you select New Posts , scroll down immediately. It is when you hit New Posts a second time, the system wants you wait 30 seconds. I learned this by accident and it works . Have a great day ! That 30 seconds could be used doing something fun
Old 07-21-2015, 10:54 AM
Administrator

This is a setting and we have made an adjustment.

Best Regards,

TOTV Team
Closed Thread

Tags
secs, wait, click, deal, comments, hit, place, patient, big, sec, rule, post

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.